Loose Hill Derbyshire

P-E

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Can't quite make my mind up about this one so see what you lot think;)

loose-Hill-4.jpg

Nice - with spectacular sky too - I like .. Paul (y)

works for me, cracking shot

Cheers fellas

minimeeze said:
It's a nice shot, but a little too overcooked for my liking.
...........sounds like my tea on most evenings;) .........seriously though mini please let me know how I could improve it as I aint too sure about it myself:)

I think it's just a bit oversharpened. Especially at the front of the shot, which has the knock-on effect of making it appear a bit over saturated too. BAck off on the sharpening a touch and It will be grand. imho of course ;)

I agree with Spencer... it's a lovely shot, with great depth, but the processing looks questionable with the greens looking a bit suspect and over-saturated. I don't think it needs much of a tone down to look more natural. :)

Interesting & thanks for the feedback.......maybe my new monitor needs profiling again.

Will have another go and see what you think.;)

Any better.......whats the saturation like? (although its had non).

Loose-Hill-5-1.jpg

Doesn't look much different tbh. I think what it is is the sky looks mostly cloudy and overcast and it's at odds with that vibrant green?

Although you can see patches of sunlight in the distance so perhaps it's just the way it was?

Did you use an ND grad on this? The sky is a touch dark for the foreground as ct says. Didn't really notice it until ced pointed it out lol.

CT said:
Doesn't look much different tbh. I think what it is is the sky looks mostly cloudy and overcast and it's at odds with that vibrant green?

Dunno CT.......think its one I will give up on:shrug:

Never give up... it's a keeper that one. :)

I just ran colour correction on it for daylight at 6500K... twice.

Loose-Hill-5-4.jpg

Any better? :cautious:

Gandhi said:
Did you use an ND grad on this? The sky is a touch dark for the foreground as ct says. Didn't really notice it until ced pointed it out lol.

Yes mate.......ND.

The original RAW file aint that clever and I have tried my best to rescue it in CS........but alas I have failed:)

Argh:) this colour correction for 6500K.......is it only available in PSP? I know there is colour correction in CS but dont think it does the 6500k thingy:thinking:

Well I used PSP. I have CS2 but it's not installed at the moment, but any colour correction filter should have a slider I'd think?

P-E said:
Cheers fellas

...........sounds like my tea on most evenings;) .........seriously though mini please let me know how I could improve it as I aint too sure about it myself:)

As Gandhi said, I think it was a bit over-sharpened. The 2nd shot does look much better as the hills in the background appear a little softer and the wall isn't so in-yer-face so to speak :) The saturation looks ok to me ;)

looking at the first image I was going to say the same as Min....its a beautiful shot, just too much processing IMO, the stonework in the second image is so much easier to look at.

Thanks for the feedack ladies:)

Well looking at it this morning the first looks way too sharpened on the wall and both my edits look to have incorrect colours:thinking:

Anyway started from scratch with a different WB setting & less sharpening.

Any better:shrug:

Loose-Hill-7.jpg

CT said:
That looks far more natural. (y)

I just viewed it on another monitor and it still lacks something for me processing wise.:thinking:

My favourite is the second version, marginally less saturated and not sharpened to pleagqart!

So somewhere in between the 2nd one and last one?

I just tried another edit and showed it to someone who said it had a shade of pink in it:thinking:.........wish I wasn't so colour blind:(

P-E said:
wish I wasn't so colour blind:(

:LOL: I look at threads that ask 'does this have a green colour cast?' etc. think :thinking: :shrug: and move on. Plenty of colours in my world it's just giving them the right names that is the problem :)

RobertP said:
:LOL: I look at threads that ask 'does this have a green colour cast?' etc. think :thinking: :shrug: and move on. Plenty of colours in my world it's just giving them the right names that is the problem :)

I know what you mean...........no easy answer either:shrug:

Better balance between Sky and land is what is required. It looks like two different shots. The colours are not the problem in themselves as that is personal taste.

If this was my shot (if it was I would be proud of it BTW) I would be trying to reduce the contrast between the sky and the ground and not worrying too much about how green or how blue each part was.

But i would worry about Magenta casts though:)

HIMUPNORTH said:
But i would worry about Magenta casts though:)

There's a Magenta cast:eek: which ones that in? all of them?.........might be better off doing a mono conversion on this one:LOL:

Has it had the HDR treatment? I'm rapidly coming to the belief that not every shot suits it and it can actually damage a good shot. Second versions are a lot better than the first though :)

No magenta cast here

P-E said:
Yes mate.......ND.

The original RAW file aint that clever and I have tried my best to rescue it in CS........but alas I have failed:)

you can mail me the raw file if you like. I'm bored and the missus is watchin the BB final :shrug: email address is gandhi at spencerdking dot co dot uk

IS it a cokin or other ND grad. Just wondered as the cokin ones are a bit odd and not neutral at all. more gray.

No dod......no HDR attempt by me on any of them......just bad processing:LOL:

Gandhi......you want me to send you the RAW file 9.17MB?

Lee filters were used.

P-E said:
...just bad processing:LOL:

LOL that's not what I'm saying :LOL:

Just the first one looked like so many of the HDR's which don't seem quite natural.

dod said:
LOL that's not what I'm saying :LOL:

Just the first one looked like so many of the HDR's which don't seem quite natural.

Yes I know what you mean:LOL:

P-E said:
No dod......no HDR attempt by me on any of them......just bad processing:LOL:

Gandhi......you want me to send you the RAW file 9.17MB?

Lee filters were used.

If you have broadband and can stand the send time yeah. I'm on an 8Mb connection at kells at the moment so no worries at this end.

Had a quick play with the jpeg version and made it look like a nikon shot.....

Loose-Hill-7.jpg

Did this just as an alternative processing as I couldn't balance the sky and foreground, so I thought I'd dirty it up a bit. Converted to b&w channel mixer and added some grain through diffuse glow filter.

I like it anyway.

Quite like that myself and yes thats how I remember most of my shots looking.....out of my D2H :LOL: only joking.

oh. may've added a vignette too. In tribute to Some wales dweling hirsute dude. ;)

I'll pick up the raw when I fix the email issue.

/father jack mode

ARSE!

/jack mode: off

Gandhi said:
oh. may've added a vignette too. In tribute to Some wales dweling hirsute dude. ;)

Woo!

I'm really liking Gandhi's version - hits all the right spots for me. But then, I am a bit weird! :shrug:

I have fiddled and produced a number of versions so please bare with me :cautious:

this version was produced using a colour contrast mask after raw processing in cs2. It's pretty poo and has a distinct magenta cast now I look at it. The clouds are still too dominant and I'm starting to think I'm colour blind.

cs2colcontrastmask.jpg

Cs2 raw conversion again, but this time with a b&w contrast mask and a selective colour layer to reduce/fiddle with the colour balance. A bit on the yellow side, but then again, we haven't had much rain recently, have we? ;)

b_wconmaskselcol.jpg

This version is straight out of RSE with just the shadow and highlight detail boosted and some subtle sharpening. The sky is still too dark but I may have solved that with the final edit!

RSEstraight.jpg

This is my final go, 2 different exposures generated out of RSE, blended by layering the lighter one on top of the darker one and blended using select->colour range->highlights->invert, generating a layer mask from the selction and gaussian blur at 250px. Fiddled with the colour balance using selective colour and then dodged the sky to try and lighten it so it was better balanced with the foreground. May've done some subtle :)suspect:) cloning too. And a bit of a crop.

RSE2expblendcloneanddodge.jpg

to my mind the best of the bunch. I still prefer my first edit as it suits the dark dramatic sky though. (grainy dark version)

I'll leave you all to draw your own conclusions from this little expewimant. I'm no PS guru by far. I do enjoy having a fiddle with images to see what I can draw out of them though. The differences here are quite subtle but quite important to me.

Hope this ok Ian? I think it's fundamentally a great shot but spoilt by over filtration.

Peace and love dudes

Back