Lots of Globby sprintails including new species

Name
Alf
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been out in my garden shooting Globby springtails and I have found a lot of them and a variety. Mostly up off the ground at around 5 feet. These are taken with my Oly OMD E-M1 with Sigma 105 and Raynox MCR 250

There are a lot I am afraid. I have had some interesting comments on Flickr on these.

This has been suggested as a new species

Katiannidae by alf.branch, on Flickr

Katiannidae by alf.branch, on Flickr

For this and other on this piece of wood I found in the mulch

Globby-5 by alf.branch, on Flickr

Dicyrtomina saundersi by alf.branch, on Flickr

Dicyrtomina saundersi by alf.branch, on Flickr

Back on the plants and many of these were taken one holding the leaf the other holding the camera

Globby-7 by alf.branch, on Flickr

Edit
This also a new species

Globby-8 by alf.branch, on Flickr

Last edited:
wow Alf, such variety you have there, a great set of shots and it goes to show that these little critters can stand the cold, haha more than the humans I guess :whistle:

wow Alf, such variety you have there, a great set of shots and it goes to show that these little critters can stand the cold, haha more than the humans I guess :whistle:

Thanks Graham
They seem to prefer it when its damp in my experience.

Great set of shots Alf, and very well seen and taken. As Paul said there's plenty of shots of them about at the moment but for me they are all well worth looking at.(y)

George.

Superb Variety Alf. If Frans says it's a new species then you can pretty much take his word for it. He knows his onions when it comes to these wonderful creatures.

Wooooah.... you have found a new unknown species that is quality there are still plenty out there hopefully one day I might be lucky to find one. Great set get as many shots as you can at all angles if possible. (y)

You can't just wander into your back garden and find a species new to science! Or apparently you can!

Congrats Alf, this is why I love macro photography so much, and I hope to be so lucky one day. Amazing!

Great images too, I expect to see plenty more of that new species over the coming weeks. You have an amazing variety in your garden.

Thanks all fo rthe comments and by the way it is now 2 new species according to Frans. I must admit I have managed to record a species in a new location before but not this but then again I live in such an out of the way place nobody wants to live here thats probably how it goes,

What happens now do you get to name it? Katannaide alfusbranchus? :D

I have no idea mate and I suspect I am not involved other than recording it.

Terrific selection Alf.

I'm very interested in the kit you used. Lots of questions come to mind. Hope you don't mind.

I've been looking at the EM-1. I've been thinking about the Olympus 60mm macro, but interesting to see you using it with the Sigma. Do you get autofocus, autoexposure and image stabilisation with the Sigma?

I'm also very interested that you've managed to tackle such small subjects with a 1:1 lens, plus the 250. How much have you had to crop to get these?

What lighting are you using?

I see that the minimum working distance for the 105 is 4.8 inches. What happens to the working distance when you put the 250 on the 105?

Actually, I'm a bit puzzled about the 250 on the 105. Without the 250, at 1:1 the image width with the 105 will be 17.3mm on your EM-1. When I put my 250 on my 45-175 on my G3 and set the focal length to 105mm, the minimum image width was actually larger, at around 19 or 20mm. I wonder, could you do a ruler shot to see what the mininum scene width you can get is with the 250 on the 105? If it turns out that the close focusing abilities of the 105 make it significantly smaller than 17mm then I'm even more interested in the EM-1 plus a macro lens.

Terrific selection Alf.

I'm very interested in the kit you used. Lots of questions come to mind. Hope you don't mind.

I've been looking at the EM-1. I've been thinking about the Olympus 60mm macro, but interesting to see you using it with the Sigma. Do you get autofocus, autoexposure and image stabilisation with the Sigma?

I'm also very interested that you've managed to tackle such small subjects with a 1:1 lens, plus the 250. How much have you had to crop to get these?

What lighting are you using?

I see that the minimum working distance for the 105 is 4.8 inches. What happens to the working distance when you put the 250 on the 105?

Actually, I'm a bit puzzled about the 250 on the 105. Without the 250, at 1:1 the image width with the 105 will be 17.3mm on your EM-1. When I put my 250 on my 45-175 on my G3 and set the focal length to 105mm, the minimum image width was actually larger, at around 19 or 20mm. I wonder, could you do a ruler shot to see what the mininum scene width you can get is with the 250 on the 105? If it turns out that the close focusing abilities of the 105 make it significantly smaller than 17mm then I'm even more interested in the EM-1 plus a macro lens.

Nick
Some of these are heavy crops on this thread

Thats a lot to ask.
I have a 4/3 Sigma 105 they are not easy to come by, I use it with a MMF3 so I do get AF auto exposure etc as it works fine. I do not use AF though of course.

Here is one
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SIGMA-105...=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item3cecccc48b

Here is an uncropped shot with the Sigma abd DCR 250

Globby-full-frame by alf.branch, on Flickr

Here is an uncropped SOOC Jpeg taken with the same set up

PB280962 by alf.branch, on Flickr

Last edited:
I use a Nissin D466i flash and pringle diffuser for this lot though I am asssembling kit to move the flash off camera

Here it is without the Raynox the card shows the focus point at 1:1

EM1 sigma 105 Mk11 by alf.branch, on Flickr

I recently asked how someone was getting such close up with a similiar set up and was told the guys used two DCR 250 with a step down ring

I was told this was the mag (I asked what he used with the Sigma 105)

with single DCR-250 on the sigma you will get 1.9:1 magnification.
With the msn-202 3.6:1 and with the msn-505 5:1

I didn't test the magnification with my double dcr-250 yet, but it should be around 3:1

Last edited:
Alf, that is really helpful. Thank you for taking the time on this, I very much appreciate it.

Seems that I misunderstood how a Raynox would function on a macro lens. That opens up some interesting possibilities. :)

I use the Raynox 150 and 250 stacked, and it works fine. I have two 250s but have never stacked them because the 150 + 250 gets me nicely about half way between the 250 and the MSN-202. I hadn't thought of trying that sort of thing on a macro lens though. Hmmm..... off to do some more research. :D

Back