Lottie

Name
Jason
Edit My Images
Yes
Today I decided to go out with a friend and try and get some fun images before i start back in work on monday.... Not done much of this stuff before so any comments or help would be great.

Lj by Jason Thomas Photography, on Flickr

Lj by Jason Thomas Photography, on Flickr

Thank you for looking

Looked at these a few times and just can't make my mind up. Undoubtedly she's a very beautiful girl, but it just looks unnatural to me. Why would she be standing on a stump, with her leg stuck out, wearing only a jumper? The second one is better, in my eyes anyway, I'm still wondering about the lack of clothing in the woods though. :D:D

I like them both. The first one has a kind of "Abbey Road" quality to it that is whimsical, but also creates a sense of tension. It's a nicely unique pose. I see the stump as a metaphor for the prescribed boundaries of life.

The second is a more traditional pose; the model seems relaxed. The eyes are downcast slightly, and that makes eye-contact with the viewer (camera) not quite there, unfortunately.

The only other minor niggle I have is that both have too much headroom and would benefit from a cropping, I feel.

Nicely done.

I can't agree with the observation above questioning why she would be on a stump in only a jumper and boots, that for me is taking the image too literally. As opposed to looking at it artistically which for this type of image is surely the point.

Notwithstanding the above a general observation from me is that like many images posted these days, these two have ignored the poorly named 'rule of thirds' to their cost. Both in my view are improved considerably when cropped to move the subjects head to the upper right thirds intersection.

I say poorly named because as soon as you call something a rule, people naturally tend to want to break it as some sort of statement of originality. It's not a rule so much as a helpful guide to be considered in some circumstances. For me these two otherwise fine images are prime examples of just such circumstances.

Mark

I wasn't asking you to agree with me. We all have a separate opinion, use it, and leave my opinion as mine!!!

I wasn't asking you to agree with me. We all have a separate opinion, use it, and leave my opinion as mine!!!

Chill man :eek:

I like these a lot.

I occasionally look in here hoping to see something different, and these are.

simon ess said:
I like these a lot.

I occasionally look in here hoping to see something different, and these are.

Thank you that means a lot :)

I like these, especially the second one. But agree that they could do with a slight crop to help the rule of thirds :)

kd

Really love the first one! Agree that some of the white sky could be cropped which would then magically make the image confirm to the thirds rule. Excellent to see something different though.

what a great #1 shot. That could sell a lot of fat face gear

Love these mate absolutely great images,
I like to look at these from an artistic point of view rather than a technical one (though Im not great with the latter)

First one really ticks a box for me!

I like the first one. I like the way she just seems to be casually walking off the tree stump. It has narrative. I like the composition... seems precise, and considered.

I do not like your watermark plastered across it though :)

Second one... I don't like so much. It's just an obvious and traditional pose, and I don't like the framing/crop. It's not full length, or three quarter... you've just amputated her from mid-shin downwards for no apparent reason.

Back