low key

Name
Christopher Haynes
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys, was hoping that I could get some help.:help:
I am trying to do some low key shots (for the first time) and I have very limited equipment, I shot the below with a single light very quickly so I no it needs improvement.
My question is do I need less light on the left hand side, and I am after getting better clarity, would this mean using a lower f stop?

Thanks for your time and I am sorry if my questions seem rather simple:amstupid::amstupid: :amstupid:

3317943282_3e040620f1.jpg

Looks under exposed to me.

What is your setup? and camera settings? And distance to light/background?

Looks under exposed to me.

What is your setup? and camera settings? And distance to light/background?

my set up is very simple, 1 light about 2 meter from subject at about 45deg, 6 meters from background. camera was set at 1" f4 iso100.

i know its not the best shot in the world mostly because i didnt have much time, i was just trying to get a feel for it.

Even with the setup your using you should still be able to get a well exposed image. If you look at my photo taken across a pub table http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=116476 , I only used one flash with a lightphere on held in my left hand about a 18inches away from the subject and my camera in the other hand.

Last edited:
Even with the setup your using you should still be able to get a well exposed image. If you look at my photo taken across a pub table, I only used one flash with a lightphere on held in my left hand about a 18inches away from the subject and my camera in the other hand.

thanks kieron i will give it a go and keep in mind what you have both said
cheers

my set up is very simple, 1 light about 2 meter from subject at about 45deg, 6 meters from background. camera was set at 1" f4 iso100.

i know its not the best shot in the world mostly because i didnt have much time, i was just trying to get a feel for it.

What kind of light is this? Not flash obviously! You need to get the light closer too - possibly just outside the frame so just a few inches away.

1 second is a VERY long exposure!

What kind of light is this? Not flash obviously! You need to get the light closer too - possibly just outside the frame so just a few inches away.

1 second is a VERY long exposure!

Its just a flood light that I have a diffuser in front

Yes - What you may think is a strong light will be very different from what your camera sees. Get the light in much closer. Aim for a shutter speed of at least 1/30th (more if you can). Bump up the ISO till you get that. With such a dim image the camera may slightly over expose the shot so keep an eye on the shutter speed.

Depending on the look you want, a little reflector may bounce some light back on the other side (a peice of paper or a card crumpled tin foil would work.

Yes - What you may think is a strong light will be very different from what your camera sees. Get the light in much closer. Aim for a shutter speed of at least 1/30th (more if you can). Bump up the ISO till you get that. With such a dim image the camera may slightly over expose the shot so keep an eye on the shutter speed.

Depending on the look you want, a little reflector may bounce some light back on the other side (a peice of paper or a card crumpled tin foil would work.

thanks thats some really good info and i like the idea of the reflector as well,
thanks again for your time

Back