Low Key

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I tried to take a low key flash image tonight. Most I'm afraid didn't work out. It seemed that the shadows went very blocky, so it was a harsh transition from light to dark. How can I avoid this? I think part of the issue was I was quite underexposed, so maybe this caused the issue when I tried to lift the highlights / midtone? This one isn't so bad. I guess I need a reflector or second flash to fill in the dark parts of his face a little? Finally, is the face too flat? Not sure if I have over brightened and lost some of the movement.

Many thanks!
Steve

Daniel by Steve Babb, on Flickr

Still learning flash myself so can't help a great deal but one thing worth trying is to have ON camera flash but to bounvce the flash off a side or back wall.

You will still have a black/dark background if you have a low aperture and subject a little way from the background.

(E&OE. :))

Try moving the light away more, your have to turn up the power, but the fall off won't be as sharpe, inverse square law and all that jazz, :)

Thanks, will try that. I thought I had to get the light as close as possible to make it soft. I guess it's getting a compromise?

Back