Beginner Low Tide

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
Took this awhile ago and quite pleased with it for a complete novice.

Want to get something like this for a print in the lounge as the colours work, I know this isn't good enough for that, but happy with it for a start.

Low Tide by Pete W, on Flickr

Hi Pete. I like it too. What i would suggest for a future shoot would be to elevate the camera a little more so that the zig zag of rocks are a little more visable. This will give you a stronger lead in to the frame. For me a little more detail in the sky would be preferable too.

good elements here...horizontal horizon..it likes that
boosting the tone range..ie sky and adding some warmth to the cool sand tone
the long straight lines beyond the rocky part are imposing a bit on the balance
the real test here is are you happy with it
so am i for your sake and not mine...ie your shot
cheers
geof

i looked at the shot on flkr...and voila you have some really better shots there as well
not that much of a beginner i would say...
cheers

Last edited:
good elements here...horizontal horizon..it likes that
boosting the tone range..ie sky and adding some warmth to the cool sand tone
the long straight lines beyond the rocky part are imposing a bit on the balance
the real test here is are you happy with it
so am i for your sake and not mine...ie your shot
cheers
geof

i looked at the shot on flkr...and voila you have some really better shots there as well
not that much of a beginner i would say...
cheers
Thank you for the comment.

And thanks both for your points.

Last edited:
Pete
This shot is nearly a year old!
Go back and have another go on a day with better light is my advice and try this type of thing when the tide is going out if possible as the sand will be wet then.
I cannot offer too advise about this particular shot as the Exif data is missing so I dont know what you/the camera did.

Pete
This shot is nearly a year old!
Go back and have another go on a day with better light is my advice and try this type of thing when the tide is going out if possible as the sand will be wet then.
I cannot offer too advise about this particular shot as the Exif data is missing so I dont know what you/the camera did.

I know it's nearly a year old, ive been busy!

It was taken with a D3200 as a kind of test shot, but i like it and 100% agree on the light. Didn't think about the wet sand, will def have another go. I need to sort the Exif data.

I know it's nearly a year old, ive been busy!

It was taken with a D3200 as a kind of test shot, but i like it and 100% agree on the light. Didn't think about the wet sand, will def have another go. I need to sort the Exif data.

The wet sand bit is of course very subjective and up to you day with very changeable weather are good to shoot on a wet sandy beach as you can get massive reflections.
Knowing what the sea is doing helps too

https://www.tidetimes.org.uk/lyme-regis-tide-times

I hope to get down there over the winter break, although not sure what i want from the sky, Blue to me would be wrong, maybe storm clouds would work or lots of blue / white.
Wet sand I think would work really well.

Tide times site now saved as Fav (y)

I hope to get down there over the winter break, although not sure what i want from the sky, Blue to me would be wrong, maybe storm clouds would work or lots of blue / white.

Have a look on the Flickr map for that beach to see what is possible. This time of year is great for shooting landscapes and seascapes.

Sunsets and sunrises are better at this time of year too.

There are lots of interesting features in shot. Just needs better lighting and a more interesting sky (y)

If you have LR cc, then use the de-haze slider, it should bring some depth into the sky and clouds.

Back