LPOTY 2022

Some very nice images, don't mean to sound big headed but I'm not sure how the Chrome Hill Picture in Snow got commended and my image below didn't even get short listed, I much prefer my image!

I'm sure there's that many pics entered that loads are just skipped through without a proper look. It's pretty much a lottery.

The Chrome hill commended one is here: https://www.lpoty.co.uk/gallery/2022/classic-view

Here's my image

Chrome Hill - The Dragon's Back by Joel Spencer, on Flickr

The problem is photography is so subjective.

The year before last I got three short listed and this year nothing although I felt my images this year were better.

I get the book every year and every year I page through the book wondering how many of the images even made the short list.

As Elliott says. I think the commended one may have had the edge because it has less cloud and more distant detail? But it is totally subjective, I agree. It's all well beyond my current ability, but it does seem to be a case of persistence until you hit the unexpected spot with the judges.

It does have less clouds so that may be a reason. My image is actually 5 images stitched together, so I could crop into that framing as well without losing any image quality.

Compositionally I find it really jarring when Park Hill is cut off at the left hand side like that, but whatever floats their boat I guess!

Did anyone else notice that the winner of the black and white class was also the overall winner of WLPOTY. To my mind that’s contrary to this part of the LPOTY conditions of entry (copied and pasted from their T’s&C’s)
-
c) Images that have won an award in a major competition (including previous Competitions), or that have been entered in such a competition where the results are pending, are not eligible for entry.
d) Once entered into the Competition, identical images must not be entered into any major competition whose results are announced prior to 23rd October 2022 until the entrant is informed by LPOTY that the image has not reached the next stage of judging.

There were some stunning shots. I really enjoy looking through the book each year. The judges do a good job in what is a subjective field.

Some very nice images, don't mean to sound big headed but I'm not sure how the Chrome Hill Picture in Snow got commended and my image below didn't even get short listed, I much prefer my image!

Here's my image

I'm pretty sure this very composition has already been in the book at least twice before, I think the last time it was also covered in snow,

Last edited:
Did anyone else notice that the winner of the black and white class was also the overall winner of WLPOTY. To my mind that’s contrary to this part of the LPOTY conditions of entry (copied and pasted from their T’s&C’s)
-
c) Images that have won an award in a major competition (including previous Competitions), or that have been entered in such a competition where the results are pending, are not eligible for entry.
d) Once entered into the Competition, identical images must not be entered into any major competition whose results are announced prior to 23rd October 2022 until the entrant is informed by LPOTY that the image has not reached the next stage of judging.

I guess you have some wiggle room on the "major competition" wording... is it a major competition? I think it's the second year it's run and its run by Nigel Danson, so I wouldn't say it's established (yet) Although It's called "world photographer" I guess that just means they accept entries from around the world... not that you're the best!

Looks like its been picked up on.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure this very composition has already been in the book at least twice before, I think the last time it was also covered in snow,

I've seen photos from this view point before, heck when I was there there were half a dozen other toggers there, infact the image that's in this year's LPOTY would have been one of those photographers, probably shot a bit earlier. But I've yet to see anyone make a 5 image stitched panorama of encompassing the entire scene like I have. Mine is 9235x3729 pixels!

I've seen photos from this view point before, heck when I was there there were half a dozen other toggers there, infact the image that's in this year's LPOTY would have been one of those photographers, probably shot a bit earlier. But I've yet to see anyone make a 5 image stitched panorama of encompassing the entire scene like I have. Mine is 9235x3729 pixels!

Personally, looking at both the commended image and your own, I'd go for a blend of both. I'd certainly not cut the left hand side off which you haven't, but I don't think anything more to the right than what's in the commended image adds anything. A lot of the time it's more about what you don't put in the frame than what you do, and for me, I think if you cropped the right hand side of yours off where the commended image has, makes your image an overall stronger image.

That's probably why. Because it was 5 images stitched together rather than a single image.

-

It wouldn't make it beyond my bin - the birds wings are blurred due to the long exposure length. Had the birds not been there, I might have liked the image.

The size of the image is completely irrelevant. The judges are sat in a room with the images being projected up and it will be a quick 5 second yes or no as to whether the image gets put through to the next round, they don't sit there pouring over the meta data or anything like that.

If there isn't anything technically wrong with the image (blow highlights, dust spots etc) it will purely be down to a matter of taste

Some people like apples

Some people like oranges

It doesn't mean one is right and one is wrong.

Right, so I've gone back and had a look... this is what I could find from a quick google image search, so there may be more....is this not taking the Michael somewhat? I get that it's a small country and you're going to end up having the same subjects.. but 4 (now 5) identical compositions and themes???? Yes there are differences in each image, but it's the same thing, shot in exactly the same way..... it hardly smacks of excellence if you're pinching other peoples award winning compositions. It just ends up being a competition as to who has the most amount of time to go and sit on a hill and get the right conditions as all the hardwork has been done and is proven to be award winning.

This isn't a personal dig at SMR, the issue here is with the organisers and judges, what is the point in this competition if you are just going to pick the same image every single time? It hardly promotes originality or talent if they are just going to be this lazy in choosing winners.

2013 - Steve Tuckers version
2013.jpg

2016 James Pedlans version

2016.jpg

2017 Francis J Taylors version

2017.JPG

2018 Shaun Quilters Version

2018.JPG

Last edited:
It really does annoy me when Parkhouse Hill is cut off on the left - not even a little bit, sometimes it's midway into the hill! :ROFLMAO:

They are all nice though, it's just a nice scene, and looks great in snow. I like the last one the best out of them I just cannot fathom how they seem to think that the composition works when so much of Parkhouse Hill is cut off.

As you say though, it's all subjective, so I'm just stating my opinion and anyone else is entitled to theirs. The reason I prefer my composition (nothing to do with the size of the image) is the visual flow and balance with the wall flowing across the scene and the compositional weight and situ of both hills.

In those photographs for me #1 has too much sky but #1 and #4 have the best compositions overall. #2 has too much on the right hand side and if including that needs weight and balance by adding more on the left hand side of Parkhouse Hill, as I did with my image. I still think my composition is the strongest. The light is flat in mine but it has an etching quality which I really like, it's hard to appreciate that detail and quality in mine until you see it at full res which flickr doesn't display.

With regards to compositions I understand what you're saying - but look at last year's winner, I've seen that image endless times. Look at the Lone Tree at Llyn Padarn - I saw several hundred images of it before I went there and took mine...

And I'll leave you with this image, I rocked up to Alport Castles on a wild camp in the Summer, never seen one single image of the location. I remember wondering what to shoot - I arrived at the location, then walked elsewhere to pitch up 20 min walk away, before going back at sunset and took this composition:

Alport Castles by Joel Spencer, on Flickr
Yesterday I was looking for something on the Internet, forget what, and stumbled upon James Grant's image which I had never seen before...

I'm sure there's that many pics entered that loads are just skipped through without a proper look. It's pretty much a lottery.

The Chrome hill commended one is here: https://www.lpoty.co.uk/gallery/2022/classic-view

Here's my image

Could be one of several reasons...
1. Maths, with over 20,000 entries and less than 200 accepted, the vast majority of images don't get in
2. I'm amazed yet another version of this got in at all
3. Perhaps they thought the additional elements included in the wider pano view distract from, rather than add to the strength of the composition... or it could have been luck of the draw
4. Most importantly if you prefer your own image (and why not) don't get hung up on whether a judge agrees having looked at it for 10 seconds :)

Last edited:
In those photographs for me #1 has too much sky but #1 and #4 have the best compositions overall. #2 has too much on the right hand side and if including that needs weight and balance by adding more on the left hand side of Parkhouse Hill, as I did with my image. I still think my composition is the strongest. The light is flat in mine but it has an etching quality which I really like, it's hard to appreciate that detail and quality in mine until you see it at full res which flickr doesn't display.
To illustrate how subjective it is, for me I would pick number 3, I love the simplicity and softness and clean composition but no doubt others would pick differently for different reasons

To illustrate how subjective it is, for me I would pick number 3, I love the simplicity and softness and clean composition but no doubt others would pick differently for different reasons
I would too. The others are very harsh on the processing side for me, and considering how much I love contrasty images for my own work, that's saying something :ROFLMAO:

With regards to compositions I understand what you're saying - but look at last year's winner, I've seen that image endless times. Look at the Lone Tree at Llyn Padarn - I saw several hundred images of it before I went there and took mine...
Yes, but this is the most obvious example. They simply should not be choosing any images that are basically copies of what's been featured before. In my opinion (and that's all it is) the images should be materially different, not just the same composition with the same feel, otherwise what's the point is spending 20 quid on the book if it's just a collection of images that have all been seen before?

This is supposed to be the best of the best of UK landscape photographs, not a re hash of stuff we've already seen countless times before in the book. It's starting to turn the competition into a simple money making exercise.

Last edited:
Lot's of the same thing isn't necessarily a bad thing - we see lots of Glencoe and Rannoch Moor in there. Why, because on our god forsaken little island these spots are very good. As aside from 5+ parkhouse hills being in the previous books, just how many Durdle Doors, samey woodland shots, Buachailles, Rannoch Moors have been in? Lots.

I quite liked this years winner, which makes a change, and I particularly enjoyed the Seascapes category winner....but I spied in amongst that, a highly commended shot taken from a very well worn tripod hole in Skye, does that make the image less worthy - no, it doesn't.

Lot's of the same thing isn't necessarily a bad thing - we see lots of Glencoe and Rannoch Moor in there. Why, because on our god forsaken little island these spots are very good. As aside from 5+ parkhouse hills being in the previous books, just how many Durdle Doors, samey woodland shots, Buachailles, Rannoch Moors have been in? Lots.
Yes, that's what's wrong. If the image is near identical there is no way on earth it should be re-included, if its different weather, time of day fine, but exactly the same? Whats the point?

Being very brutal @smr I'll tell you why I wouldn't, if I was in the judging panel, have picked yours. I am sorry if this comes across as somewhat harsh and whilst I appreciate you've put a lot of work into the image, your photography in general - but this isn't anywhere near the best you have produced.

Here are my thoughts....and again sorry for the bluntness of this post.
1. Aspect ratio - in a book with square pages, it's best to offer a 5:4, 4:3, 1:1. Yours would look lost on the page - it really is very wide. When they view images, and the size you have to supply to them - it won't stand. Pano's only really work well displayed full screen on a large screen, or printed wide. They won't see yours in this way.
2. Bottom right corner of yours, the trees are rammed right against the frame edge. Look at the others, they all have a bit more space at the bottom. I agree re the rest of your comments are composition but that's pretty much the only thing yours has going for it and even then, the lopped off bottom is a big no and that would put the brakes on for me, then and there.
3. Being very harsh, yours is pretty dull. There isn't quite enough snow to really make it scream winter, more a UK dreich misery winter than an actual nice one. There's bits of brown poking through and being frank, all of the others do the snow thing better.
4. Overall I think your's is a little flat and dull. If you try B&W, raise the whites right up, move the blacks in a bit more, it might work, but I am not sure it'll really sing. It's crying out for some light, defined sky, some shadows from the sun/clouds, just something.
5. Lighting and sky. You have a sort of undefined sky with a little bit of blue, it's not grabbing me.
In short - Steve Tuckers has a better sky, more snow, more contrast and a preferable aspect ratio and being blunt, easier on the eye composition. It's my favourite, I really like the mono processing, beefy sky against the white snow look. It's really top stuff and an image I would be quite happy to call my own.
James Pedlans isn't great but that bit of light saves it over yours. Not lopped off tree's on the side though. Not a great image and quite a wide aspect ratio for them, but look at the bottom, overall it's better balanced than yours. Overall though, I wouldn't have had that one in the book either, dull drab sky - like yours alas.
Francis Taylors is drab, but again consider aspect ratio and the fine mist going on. You can feel the cold looking at it and the gentle processing renders a soft paintery feel. It isn't my sort of image, I prefer direct light, strong light and shadows - natural contrast if you like but it's just the sort of thing these judge's lap up. Yours sits between the soft paintery feel look and drab. It just isn't quite one or the other whereas Francis is.
Sean Quilters is actually quite nice. Light, textured defined sky, book friendly aspect ratio and inoffensive processing (pretty much).

Last edited:
its just a comp.
Enter. don't enter. Move on. Stay stuck.

Choices.
This.
I've had nothing through the last two years after a run of 7 years or so of commended and highly commended images. Why do I enter? Frankly, if I win it's £10k in the bank. Not titles, not to get work from it, 'fame' or nothing else. Sounds cynical but that's me, I'm not all that interested in what others do or don't do, I do photography from a purely selfish standpoint of enjoying being out in nature. If nothing get's through, so be it, that's life. I like what I shoot and that's all I care about personally.

It is subjective isn't it. I like the atmospherics and emotive / painterly feel in #3........ but the composition just does not work for me, and I still find it completely jarring.
In terms of light #2 is by far the best imo, fantastic.
Maybe I could push the whites more on my own image. It is a colour image thats why the grass on the left is a soft pastel green in that field.
The image was taken and processed about two years ago this December, so maybe I should reprocess it sometime as my pp skills have improved a bit. I'll try some more standard 3:2 etc. aspects as well and perhaps enter them next year..
Completely understand the aspect thing though... something I have learnt a lot about this year since I've been selling my prints. That said they'll probably have no more Chrome Hill shots featuring in future books

This.
I've had nothing through the last two years after a run of 7 years or so of commended and highly commended images. Why do I enter? Frankly, if I win it's £10k in the bank. Not titles, not to get work from it, 'fame' or nothing else. Sounds cynical but that's me, I'm not all that interested in what others do or don't do, I do photography from a purely selfish standpoint of enjoying being out in nature. If nothing get's through, so be it, that's life. I like what I shoot and that's all I care about personally.
For me Landscape Photography and photography in general is something I enjoy immensely and I love every aspect of it. Just being outdoors is great but I find something about standing behind my tripod and composing an image just makes everything else fade away. I love that feeling, its hard to describe to someone who hasn't done it before, I love the craft of it.

I got into wild camping this year which I also really enjoy. The prize money isn't all its about for me, although it would be very welcome.

Nor is fame important, which is why I don't buy likes or followers on instagram for instance. I'm well aware that I could boost every single one of my insta photos and gain more followers but I don't because I'd prefer an organic following, rather than buying a following. I've probably boosted a dozen out of 200 or so images. And probably boosted about two or three images this year. Having a big following or fame isn't important.

For me, winning or being commended in LPOTY is one of those things where I think it would be nice in a validation/ recognition kind of sense, not that I need validation for my photography but while it isn't essential, its nice to have recognition for your work... a feeling that what you are doing is being recognised for hard work, effort, skill, talent, commitment, whatever you want to call it.
LPOTY is only one of two competitions I have entered this year. The other was for a local calendar competition... no prizes other than some free cake and a framed copy of my prints... was a nice afternoon and just a good feeling of my photography winning in a competition.

Being commended or winning in LPOTY would be great, for that reason, I should think, and who wouldn't want an extra £10k in the bank :)

I haven't entered this for a few years, I personally don't like the competition. Some absolutely crap images got commended this year and the 'lines in the landscape' winner is quite frankly, ridiculous. Some great images as well by the way.

I am not keen on the fact many of the judges are Dorset or London based, and seem to dislike any mountain photography.

The competition is purely a money making function these days, there is a much more to it than just picking the best shots IMO. I believe they comment 'not so great' shots so that it's more relatable to more folk, more people will pay to enter because they think they've got a chance. Roadside or easy walk shots get in, because it's more accessible.

The cover of the book, is embarrassing, a shot taken thousands of times. But, it's eye catching and they want to sell more.

Last years winner was a bog standard shot, in bog standard light that has been shot a thousand times. At least this year it was relatively unique.

No decent Lake District or decent Scotland images commended this year, that absolutely baffles me. Some of these commended images are an insult to some very good photography that entered.

For me Landscape Photography and photography in general is something I enjoy immensely and I love every aspect of it. Just being outdoors is great but I find something about standing behind my tripod and composing an image just makes everything else fade away. I love that feeling, its hard to describe to someone who hasn't done it before, I love the craft of it.

I got into wild camping this year which I also really enjoy. The prize money isn't all its about for me, although it would be very welcome.

Nor is fame important, which is why I don't buy likes or followers on instagram for instance. I'm well aware that I could boost every single one of my insta photos and gain more followers but I don't because I'd prefer an organic following, rather than buying a following. I've probably boosted a dozen out of 200 or so images. And probably boosted about two or three images this year. Having a big following or fame isn't important.

For me, winning or being commended in LPOTY is one of those things where I think it would be nice in a validation/ recognition kind of sense, not that I need validation for my photography but while it isn't essential, its nice to have recognition for your work... a feeling that what you are doing is being recognised for hard work, effort, skill, talent, commitment, whatever you want to call it.
LPOTY is only one of two competitions I have entered this year. The other was for a local calendar competition... no prizes other than some free cake and a framed copy of my prints... was a nice afternoon and just a good feeling of my photography winning in a competition.

Being commended or winning in LPOTY would be great, for that reason, I should think, and who wouldn't want an extra £10k in the bank :)
Oh don't even get me started on 'likes and followers' :ROFLMAO:

I know and understand what you mean about 'validation' but then even the validation is only from other photographers who do the same as us, the judges, some of whom I wouldn't even go to for critique let alone to be judged by in what is, or maybe used to be the UK's premier photo comp. I mean they didn't even notice/care about the dust spots all over the urban life winner. If they miss something as glaringly obvious as that....

Reactions: smr
Oh don't even get me started on 'likes and followers' :ROFLMAO:

I know and understand what you mean about 'validation' but then even the validation is only from other photographers who do the same as us, the judges, some of whom I wouldn't even go to for critique let alone to be judged by in what is, or maybe used to be the UK's premier photo comp. I mean they didn't even notice/care about the dust spots all over the urban life winner. If they miss something as glaringly obvious as that....

Yeah, I couldn't believe that when I saw dust spots. Should have been an instant NO.

I haven't entered this for a few years, I personally don't like the competition. Some absolutely crap images got commended this year and the 'lines in the landscape' winner is quite frankly, ridiculous. Some great images as well by the way.

I am not keen on the fact many of the judges are Dorset or London based, and seem to dislike any mountain photography.

The competition is purely a money making function these days, there is a much more to it than just picking the best shots IMO. I believe they comment 'not so great' shots so that it's more relatable to more folk, more people will pay to enter because they think they've got a chance. Roadside or easy walk shots get in, because it's more accessible.

The cover of the book, is embarrassing, a shot taken thousands of times. But, it's eye catching and they want to sell more.

Last years winner was a bog standard shot, in bog standard light that has been shot a thousand times. At least this year it was relatively unique.

No decent Lake District or decent Scotland images commended this year, that absolutely baffles me. Some of these commended images are an insult to some very good photography that entered.
100% this. Average winning shot makes average Joe think they have a shot of winning to come back year after year only to be disappointed by yet another average image winning the comp. There's always much stronger images commended than winning the overall competition.

I'm not saying that goes for every year, the wild garlic one a couple of years ago was lovely, but the Buachaille one or last years, I see better on here daily.

I guess you have some wiggle room on the "major competition" wording... is it a major competition? I think it's the second year it's run and its run by Nigel Danson, so I wouldn't say it's established (yet) Although It's called "world photographer" I guess that just means they accept entries from around the world... not that you're the best!

Looks like its been picked up on.

Good to see they addressed this.

Ironically the WLP competition is miles more credible than LPOTY with judges that are streets ahead. It may be relatively new but has already had some unbelievable photographers judging, e.g Neil Burnell, Stuart McGlennon, Mads Peter Iverson, Mark Littlejohn etc. I’d take way more pride in getting anything from that comp and LPOTY and their crop of judges.

This is supposed to be the best of the best of UK landscape photographs, not a re hash of stuff we've already seen countless times before in the book. It's starting to turn the competition into a simple money making exercise.

This in a nutshell. Biggest problem folk have is separating the fantasy of the title vs the reality of how it's run. For some time now it's massively lost it's way, from top to bottom in all aspects. Cover image this year the horizon looks wonky/halo around the arch/sloppy local adjustments, beginner level stuff that should be an instant reject. The Chrome Hill snow shot has been a running joke for years.

For anyone thinking it even remotely represents the 'best' of UK landscape photography, they're severely misguided. If it did you'd get a book with the same 30 or 40 names every year, producing a standard so massively out of reach for 90% of the entrants that it would put people off entering in the first place (but then the comp wouldn't be commercially viable).

Most of the moaning and angst comes from mismatched expectations of what people think the comp 'should' be with what it actually sets out to do, which is give a broad flavour of images from around the UK for the year, whilst satisfying obvious commercial targets to make it sustainable. The criticism it now gets is it's getting this balance badly wrong.

Last edited:
This is a nutshell. Biggest problem folk have is separating the fantasy of the title vs the reality of how it's run. For some time now it's massively lost it's way, from top to bottom in all aspects. Cover image this year the horizon looks wonky/halo around the arch/sloppy local adjustments, beginner level stuff that should be an instant reject. The Chrome Hill snow shot has been a running joke for years.

For anyone thinking it even remotely represents the 'best' of UK landscape photography, they're severely misguided. If it did you'd get a book with the same 30 or 40 names every year, producing a standard so massively out of reach for 90% of the entrants that it would put people off entering in the first place (but then the comp wouldn't be commercially viable).

Most of the moaning and angst comes from mismatched expectations of what people think the comp 'should' be with what it actually sets out to do, which is give a broad flavour of images from around the UK for the year, whilst satisfying obvious commercial targets to make it sustainable. The criticism it now gets is it's getting this balance badly wrong.

Out of interest ... who are these top UK Landscape Photographers?

Back