Luckless - Photo 52 - 2011 - Week 6 added (Joker) :)

Edit My Images
Yes
I thought i'd have a go at photo 52 to see if it would improve my photography (and i really really need to improve!). Accommodation was a tough theme to start with and i had no ideas at all so the monopoly board it was! Any tips/critique very welcome on any of my photos - thanks for looking! :)

Week 1 - Accommodation

processed023.jpg

Last edited:
Ouch - that would be expensive !!

Good use of DOF (y)

Love it! Would have preferred one hotel for accuracy to the rules though :D

Lol! Thanks for the comments, i took the picture from various angles and decided that was the best one by far. I'm desperately trying to think of something to do for 'new' now - it sounded an easy topic but i'm not so sure now!

I really struggled with the lighting on this one and i'm not entirely happy with it but any critique is much appreciated - i know i really need to improve many aspects of my photography!

Week 2 - New (Flowers)

303processed2.jpg

Last edited:
Haha, looks like the right one is whispering to the left one :D

Haha, you're right it does! It's probably whispering 'the lighting is bad in here isn't it!' lol! :D

Hi luckless both good ideas which fit the theme well, your week one is well composed with nice leading lines from the board markings. Minor crit on them if you don't mind would be that both could use a wee lift in overall brightness for me and possible a lower perspective on the first one and a greater depth of field on the second to bring the frontmost petal into focus.

Good luck for rest of year and I'll try check back to see your other ideas. (y)

I love the composition of week 2 - but agree it's a tad dark.

Have you tried playing around with a desk lamp (one with the flexible neck) to change the lighting?

Week one is good - but would like to either see the whole of the word go - or a tighter crop to get rid of the 'red line' in the botto right corner :D

Very good ideas both weeks, but I think that both pictures are a bit dark. I have to agree with previous comments that the lighting in the second photo should be improved.

Many thanks to everyone for your comments so far, they are really helpful :)

I'm going to have a go at re-processing both of the photographs over the weekend taking into consideration the suggestions made here and i'll remember the lighting and processing tips for my remaining photographs.

Thanks again for the feedback - much appreciated (y)

Week 3 - Style - opted for a stylish watch and a different 'style' on the processing!

091processed.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Luckless,

Lovely pic. Looks likes something straight out of a jewellers brochure.

Top notch

Hiya

beautiful shot for "style" ,the tones really suit it & the word on the watch is very clear (y)
Only thing ,for me , is the big guess is not central but I can be a bit OCD about things like that ,sure someone with more experience will tell you that rule of thirds applies & it's spot on :LOL:

49 to go,good luck

Many thanks for your lovely comments on my 'style' shot. I thought the processing would suit the picture quite well and i hoped it worked :)

I know what you mean about the word 'Guess' not being quite central. Unfortunately the angle that i took the shot at made it hard to crop as i needed to remove the box that the watch was in and the carpet it was sat on lol!

The good news is that i've learned so much already from everyone that has commented on my pictures and i'm really grateful for that - hopefully there will be a great improvement by the end of the year! :)

Hiya,

Apologies that I have not seen your thread sooner, with so many taking part in the 52 this year I seem to have missed a few.

All three images fit the themes well. I have to agree with most of the comments already made, so I won't repeat what has been already been said.

I am sure you are going to learn a lot by doing this 52 and good luck with the rest of the project.

Look forward to your week 4 image.

Cheers

Dawn :)

I disagree that the word guess doesn't work. I think the photo works great. A nice watch too. What ISO did you use, as the OOF background looks a little noisy?

Agreed with above comment, looks on par with a catalogue / brochure shot.

Done well

I like your idea for week one and the way you focused on the hotels. Week 3 the processing is ideal for that classy stylish luck. Great work. I cant make my mind up about week 2. Its a personal thing though innit.

Thanks for dropping by on my post and for your comment.:)

Thank you all for taking the time to comment on my photos so far. I'm taking all of your advice on board in the hope of really improving my skills :)

Kris - i used ISO 800 on the shot as i was struggling with light - next time i shoot in similar lighting i'll take a look at lowering it as i agree it is a little noisy in the background - still so much to learn but hopefully i'm getting there (y)

I'm dropping in and commenting on as many 52 projects as i can, there are some amazing pictures (y)

Good third shot this week i like the idea round the theme (y) It has been a tough few weeks with the themes but hopefully as the year goes on we get better and quicker at doing this (y)

Surprisingly had an idea straight away for the 'open' theme but have really struggled to execute it - all C & C welcome as always :)

Week 4 - Open

048processed.jpg

Last edited:
An open book, what a great idea (y)

Bit unsure as to if it works or not, with the glasses etc, maybe a shot of an open book on a table ? I have to say the actual shot you took looks great, I particularly like the disjointed effect the glasses give, although I I think they make it look a bit busy.

I like your other 3 as well, in particular the processing on the watch shot.

An open book, what a great idea (y)

Bit unsure as to if it works or not, with the glasses etc, maybe a shot of an open book on a table ? I have to say the actual shot you took looks great, I particularly like the disjointed effect the glasses give, although I I think they make it look a bit busy.

I like your other 3 as well, in particular the processing on the watch shot.

Yes, i'm unsure too :thinking: I took the shot with and without the glasses and the shot with just the book was boring to be honest. I was worried that the shot would look too busy and i did have the glasses in many positions! I was trying to get a shot where the shadow of the glasses fell onto the page but that definitely looked too busy! I might have another go tomorrow to see if i can re-shoot the image.

Thanks for your comments on week 3, its turning into my favourite shot (y)

Hiya,

I like your take on the theme for OPEN, and would have done something similiar for this week if it wasn't for the fact that I used a similar setup for my week 1.

Perhaps if you had taken the shot from a lower angle to give more DOF and perhaps set the glasses a bit futher to the middle of the book would have worked a bit better.

As for the shadow, I am very concious of shadows now after the comments I received on my week 1, and think that for such subjects, where they are quite busy because of all the text, it is better to use some lighting to try to eliminate the shadow.

Otherwise I think it is a good image.

Well done and good luck for week 5.

Cheers

Good take on the theme "open". It's a very nice image which I find very appealing, it has a very natural, uncontrived look. Like the use of DOF. I know what you mean about "struggling" to execute an idea. These semi-closeup shots are not easy to compose and focus - so well done.

I think it might have been better to have a slightly wider shot.
I'd be interested to see this in colour.

Hiya,

I like your take on the theme for OPEN, and would have done something similiar for this week if it wasn't for the fact that I used a similar setup for my week 1.

Perhaps if you had taken the shot from a lower angle to give more DOF and perhaps set the glasses a bit futher to the middle of the book would have worked a bit better.

As for the shadow, I am very concious of shadows now after the comments I received on my week 1, and think that for such subjects, where they are quite busy because of all the text, it is better to use some lighting to try to eliminate the shadow.

Otherwise I think it is a good image.

Well done and good luck for week 5.

Cheers

Many thanks for your feedback Dawn :) yes, i took the shot from lower down originally but unfortunately i then had the problem of picking up too much background and losing the sharpness of the writing on the page but i think i might have another trial of angles to see if i can see at a better way of using the lighting (y)

Good take on the theme "open". It's a very nice image which I find very appealing, it has a very natural, uncontrived look. Like the use of DOF. I know what you mean about "struggling" to execute an idea. These semi-closeup shots are not easy to compose and focus - so well done.

I think it might have been better to have a slightly wider shot.
I'd be interested to see this in colour.

Thank you for your feedback :) yes, i was struggling with this one a little, i will try again to take a wider shot. I do have the image in colour too which i can post up later :) i was hoping the b & w would give the image more 'punch' but i'm not sure i quite achieved that in the end!

I'm learning alot though just from the first four weeks so thanks so much for all your comments (y)

This is my 'open' theme picture in colour - just for comparison. All C & C welcome :)

048colourprocessed.jpg

Last edited:
Personally, I prefer the colour version. I think the colour of the frames helps. I agree a wider shot would be a good idea.

Nice shot.

Personally, I prefer the colour version. I think the colour of the frames helps. I agree a wider shot would be a good idea.

Nice shot.

To be honest when I processed them both I wasn't sure which one I preferred although I think because I wasn't 100% happy with the composition of the shot it made it difficult to decide. I have to say having looked at them together again I agree that the colour version is probably better as the black and white processing makes it look a little dull.

Thanks for your feedback (y)

Really struggled for inspiration this week so apologies for the poor picture :( I found the meaning in the dictionary and tried to make it look rough! Eventually I ran out of time so forgive me this week and i'll try harder next week! :)

Week 5 - Hard

089processed.jpg

Playing my joker this week as i don't think my place of work would allow me to photograph the clutter on my desk lol! :D

I have tried water drops before without any success but i've had another go - if anyone has any tips i'd really appreciate them. Thanks for looking :)

Week 6 - Joker (instead of clutter!)

161croppedandprocessed.jpg

I found clutter tough too!
I like your water drop, and although there isn't particularly anything really exciting going on as the drop is still fully formed - I feel I love the red colours, the DOF is very good and there is alot of energy being captured in the ripples! The mid-air drop is very sharp so great capture. Maybe you could crop the bottom a little as there is alot of wasted space! Overall, I like, good job!

Kris

Back