Lurcher Abandoned By Travellers

Name
Alison
Edit My Images
Yes
Spent half the freezing cold night in the middle of nowhere with my neighbour on Tuesday trying to catch this stray dog and fortunately we were successful (y) It took hours :thumbsdown: The pikey scumbags who dumped him have been traced and fortunately they don’t want him any more, no intention of attempting to reclaim him. A lucky escape I think! :)

A crappy hurriedly grabbed snap straight out of camera (taken the morning after capture) which does the boy no justice at all but isn’t he beautiful? :love: Hopefully he’ll find a new home soon where he will be loved and treated kindly for the first time in his life. The vet thinks he’s about 2 years old and a Saluki x Whippet. I know nothing other than that he’s incredibly pretty and very fast! :eek:

8684a.jpg

Posted in this section rather than Photos For Pleasure as I’d like C + C. I’m visiting the dog (I’ve called him Little Rupert) every day so plenty of opportunity to reshoot and get a better image to post on the website and help promote him. Can’t say for sure but he seems very steady and don’t think he’d be bothered about flash. Reflectors are also a possibility but I don’t have any off-camera lighting.

Thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions :)

Aww, unfortunately they don't treat their animals very well, like leaving horses tethered without water, Nice head shot Alison, i hope in these tough times he finds a good home, i'd hate to see him go to the RSPCA and be put down on the grounds of numbers taken in, i must stress that the Dogs Trust (formerly NCDL National Canine Defence League WONT put a dog down. my mum is/was involved once with them.

Last edited:
Nice shot and best of luck with rehoming.
Funny how he looks like the compare meerkat - simplez :D

Good on yer Alison, (y)He's a real beauty, What part of Leicestershire was this ?

Regards Toonie

He's lovely :) Swoon!

Got a whippet myself and they are fab dogs. Full of love (and usually anything they can get their paws on!)

Lovely Saluki type. Can I ask if you have checked he wasnt stolen, the Pikeys like to do that!!

good job Alison :) Absolutely beautiful dog :)

Aww, unfortunately they don't treat their animals very well, like leaving horses tethered without water, Nice head shot Alison, i hope in these tough times he finds a good home, i'd hate to see him go to the RSPCA and be put down on the grounds of numbers taken in, i must stress that the Dogs Trust (formerly NCDL National Canine Defence League WONT put a dog down. my mum is/was involved once with them.

You’re quite right Graham, they don’t treat their animals well although in fairness this lad isn’t in bad nick at all apart from being flea-ridden and full of worms (and those issues have been addressed now).

He’s definitely not going to be put to sleep, don’t worry! I’ve been doing voluntary work for some years now with local dog rescue organisations and you wouldn’t believe how many “safety nets” are in place for Lil’ Rupert. He’s 110% safe, I promise.

Nice shot and best of luck with rehoming.
Funny how he looks like the compare meerkat - simplez

Now you mention it, I can see the similarity :LOL: Don’t watch tele but have seen the ads in the press.

I suspect that he’ll find a new home very quickly. If all else fails, well let's just say that I might “foster” him for a while ;)

nice shot and a touching story.

Thanks Mr Barnes – I can’t pretend that it was the most pleasant night I’ve ever spent but the boy is safe now, in a warm dry place with plenty to eat and lots of love which is all that matters.

p.s. Did you kill JR? I stopped watching TV some years ago and always wondered. Closure on this issue would be much appreciated :geek:

Good on yer Alison, (y)He's a real beauty, What part of Leicestershire was this ?

Regards Toonie

Just off the A46, about 200 yards from the karting place on the road to Upper Broughton. Whereabouts in Leics are you Toonie?

He's lovely :) Swoon!

Got a whippet myself and they are fab dogs. Full of love (and usually anything they can get their paws on!)
I’m owned by a whippety type too Ali and aren’t they the most wonderful companions? So self-possessed yet at the same time incredibly loyal.

I find sighthounds, lurchers and longdogs very attractive in every way but have to say that this lad is just……well…..swoon, as you say :love: Seriously pretty and his gait is so dainty too; a joy to see in action. Happy to pose for the camera despite everything he’s endured, I think he’d be the perfect muse for a dog-loving tog. Details available upon request ;)

Lovely Saluki type. Can I ask if you have checked he wasnt stolen, the Pikeys like to do that!!
was about to post the same thing!

might be a good idea to post a found ad on www.doglost.co.uk just incase

Good call Dawn and Robyn, thank you for the heads-up on that (y) I’ve contacted DogLost and his details are on their website now in the “dogs found” section. My monitor is small and the photo (same one as posted in this thread) appears a bit peculiar and squished for some reason. Does it look distorted on yours? :shrug:

good job Alison Absolutely beautiful dog
Indeed, as previously said fantastic job for rescuing him and great shot!

Thanks Dod, Graeme dubnut (and everyone else) for the encouraging comments but I really think I could’ve done better. I can see so many faults. Heigh ho, a good excuse to keep visiting ;) My boss is very hard in terms of business but soft where animals are concerned. He’ll not only sponsor this dog but allow me time off with full pay to visit and take photos. Sweet :clap:

Good point he could be microchipped, the vet can scan & see
The vet, dog warden and kennels have all scanned him and he definitely isn’t chipped. A very good point though.

I’d urge every pet owner to have their furry friend micro-chipped. It’s inexpensive (free in certain circumstances, at least for dogs) and could potentially save a great deal of heartbreak, maybe even your pet’s life. Not sure about anything smaller but I know that rabbits and ferrets can be chipped.

Lovely picture, bet you had fun trying to catch him, fast little buggers those whippets. Got one myself and have had a couple of run arounds trying to catch him. You can definitely see the saluki in him, with the long ears. Hope he finds a nice home.

awww, nice dog. i like the shot too

I understand your feelings completely Alison... I do some voluntary work for a dog rescue, and some of our "foster" dogs have had a really rough time....

the good news is, they ALWAYS find their "forever family" who fall in love with them - they forget the past and move happily on to their new lives....

I hope this lovely dog finds his forever family soon, and well done for getting stuck in and helping in his rescue.

And its a really beautiful pic :love:

tut tut you're not allowed to call them pikeys :nono:
well done on rescuing it:clap:

Lovely story he's lucky you found him, very nice shot of him too
Pete

well done on rescuing it:clap:[/QUOTE

Oh yes you are! Their name here in Ireland is knackers, a hang over from when they did something useful, like the clearing up of fallen stock.

That little dog will hate the scumbags with a passion:)

Quote: Just off the A46, about 200 yards from the karting place on the road to Upper Broughton. Whereabouts in Leics are you Toonie?

I'm only just down the road in Thurmaston Alison but work on the Leic Highways so am all over the county & beyond, Pikeys are a problem all over Leicestershire though. I'll show the picture to my other half later as we have been looking around for another Greyhound but prefer a bitch but you never know !!!!!

Regards Toonie

Lovely picture, bet you had fun trying to catch him, fast little buggers those whippets. Got one myself and have had a couple of run arounds trying to catch him. You can definitely see the saluki in him, with the long ears. Hope he finds a nice home.

Fun isn't quite the word I’d have chosen! :LOL:

Earning his trust was the key and it took a lot of patience and time. We knew that chasing him would’ve been futile, far too speedy as you say. Thanks for the positive remarks on the snap. More about that later……

awww, nice dog. i like the shot too

Cheers Raj, very kind of you to say so and thanks for taking the time to comment. I still think the pic is crap though in terms of photographic merit. Maybe I shouldn’t be so hard on myself.

I understand your feelings completely Alison... I do some voluntary work for a dog rescue, and some of our "foster" dogs have had a really rough time....

the good news is, they ALWAYS find their "forever family" who fall in love with them - they forget the past and move happily on to their new lives....

I hope this lovely dog finds his forever family soon, and well done for getting stuck in and helping in his rescue.

And its a really beautiful pic :love:

I really don’t think he’ll be waiting long Maria :)

If you log on to any of the lurcher rescues/rehoming sites would you mind cross-posting the details for me? Same goes for Dawn and Robyn if they can help. Please PM me if you’d like further info and feel free to post the photo.

well done on rescuing it:clap:

I also called them scumbags. Happy to see them in court if they want to sue me! Something tells me that they’d rather not get the law involved……just a hunch ;)

Lovely story he's lucky you found him, very nice shot of him too
Pete

Thank you Pete :)

That little dog will hate the scumbags with a passion:)

The saddest thing of all that night was seeing the dog repeatedly returning to a particular field gate. It was very evident that that place was where he last saw the people gits who left him behind. They thought nothing of discarding him yet he was so hopeful that they might come back. Absolutely heartbreaking :shake:

I'm only just down the road in Thurmaston Alison but work on the Leic Highways so am all over the county & beyond, Pikeys are a problem all over Leicestershire though. I'll show the picture to my other half later as we have been looking around for another Greyhound but prefer a bitch but you never know !!!!!

Regards Toonie

Just down the road from me then! I’m in Grimston.

Show Mrs Toonie the pic, tell her the story behind it and don’t mention gender. He’s so pretty I’m sure that she’d think “he” is a “she” and fall for him ;)

The organisation I volunteer for is dedicated to rehoming Greyhounds so if that’s the breed you’ve got your heart set on, please PM me. There’s a thread here with some photos of the current residents.

If you happen to know Kerry and Conrad whose home fronts the lake at Watermead South, ask them about us. They adopted one of our girls (Jazz) a year or so back and will give you an unbiased opinion.

The publicity person at the kennels where the boy is currently residing asked me to e-mail the snap I took to promote the boy on their website, which I did. They decided to use one of their own instead - photography is obviously a very subjective thing! I’d like to make it clear that I did not take the following image:

jakeCG.jpg

Go figure :shrug:

Had gentle diplomatic "words" with the person in charge of publicity when I visited the lad on Tuesday about the pic they'd chosen for their website and they replaced it with the one in this thread, thank goodness. Not the best of photos but certainly an improvement on the one they were using to promote him.

I'm delighted to report that Jake (as his new owners have decided to call him) will be going to live in his new home tomorrow :) (y)

That's brilliant news Alison (y) We are going to see a Greyhound tomorrow in Whitwick that needs a new home, Fingers crossed

Regards Toonie

Totally agree with the meerkat!

Awesome news for Jake and well done you for taking the time and effort to rescue him!

Yay for Ali :clap:

That's a nice Saluki cross, prob abandoned after it killed and failed to retrieve some type of quarry or if they were disturbed poaching by cops or keepers.

Back