M-PE65 users?

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
No
Just wondering how many people out there are using the mpe65 macro lens and what body people find gives the best results with it. I had one a few years ago but ended up having to sell it to fund other gear and never really got to grips with it. Now I fancy giving it another go (just waiting for a good deal on a used one) and wondering what body to use it on.

Would know what bodies people are using it with and any tips to get the best from it.

What bodies do you own if any?

I think it can be good on any camera ... I use mine on 500d, would love to try it on a 5d mk III or 6d. You will get more detail from better sensors than mine but detail I get is good.

I don't have one but a mate has used his on 5D3, 5DS, 7DMkII and 1DX. all with a diffused Canon twin flash set up

Last edited:
If you do go down the MT-24 route (or anybody else has one) then I highly recommend getting hold of these......they're brilliant.

Bob

Thanks for the replies - I have a 7D and a EOS M that I was thinking of using it with. Was wondering if the focus peaking on the M3 might be useful.

Are most using it on a focusing rail or just going freehand? I currently use the ring flash with my 100L might this work ok or do I really need to budget for an MT-24 too?

Thanks for the replies - I have a 7D and a EOS M that I was thinking of using it with. Was wondering if the focus peaking on the M3 might be useful.

Are most using it on a focusing rail or just going freehand? I currently use the ring flash with my 100L might this work ok or do I really need to budget for an MT-24 too?
I've used it on the M and M3. Both work well, although there is a bit more shutter lag you will have to adapt to. The focus peaking works well on the M3 and, as I so rarely use AF, I pretty much use it all the time. The biggest advantage i found of the M3 over the M (and my dSLR) was the tilty screen. This made getting in all the nooks and crannies hunting for bugs so much easier, and I would see this as the biggest selling point. I had hopes the EVF might be useful also, and it is really good for standard use, just not for macro as you can't use it alongside external flash. If you can get a good deal on an M3, I would say it's a worthwhile upgrade. I'm still hoping for further improvements with the next M model though...

Most of my stuff is freehand, and with a standard (but small) flash mounted on a diy bracket with diffuser.

Last edited:

Freehand for me. The ringflash isn't much use once you get past 2x magnification as the illumination won't cover the front of the subject.

Bob

I have one (along with a MT-24) and use it on a 7D plus up until a few months ago a M as well.

I must admit I don't use them any more (the novelty wore off for me a bit) but when I did it was always hand held and I was certainly amazed by the results.

If you recommend them Bob then I will give them a go. Just need to get to grips with the MP-E.

I use a MR-14 EXII on a 100mm also. I have a home made diffuser on it which helps. If I take up macro seriously I will get a MPE but at the moment what I have does enough for me.

I don't personally use the MPe but my friend does and he uses a Canon 430 ex flash mounted on a bracket with a home made diffuser
It's really important to get the flash lighting the subject on the subject accurately ie the flash has to be on an adjustable bracket so that you are getting the light right in front of the lens and it looks more natural when lit from one side
It's hard to do this with a twin flash setup

I don't personally use the MPe but my friend does and he uses a Canon 430 ex flash mounted on a bracket with a home made diffuser
It's really important to get the flash lighting the subject on the subject accurately ie the flash has to be on an adjustable bracket so that you are getting the light right in front of the lens and it looks more natural when lit from one side
It's hard to do this with a twin flash setup

But that's exactly what the MT-24 is Pete. A flash on an adjustable bracket, or in this case two flashes. They can be rotated around the lens or both together and also set to different outputs to give various lighting effects. I know from seeing set up images on here that a number of people use flash guns on brackets with all sorts of ingenious diffusers and set ups and get great results from them but in the field when changes need to be made the MT-24 set up is hard to beat for speed and versatility.

But that's exactly what the MT-24 is Pete. A flash on an adjustable bracket, or in this case two flashes. They can be rotated around the lens or both together and also set to different outputs to give various lighting effects. I know from seeing set up images on here that a number of people use flash guns on brackets with all sorts of ingenious diffusers and set ups and get great results from them but in the field when changes need to be made the MT-24 set up is hard to beat for speed and versatility.

Yeah it is but if you see some of the international greats they have modded the MT-24 even further to make it more flexible. In fact some of them have given the MT-24 up ... Thomas Shanan, Nicky Bay, @orionmystery Kurt to name a few, so its not as great as you think.

Precisely, Gaz.....flexibility of position and output levels, which is something that can't be achieved with a single Speedlight.

Bob

Precisely, Gaz.....flexibility of position and output levels, which is something that can't be achieved with a single Speedlight.

Bob

All you MT-24 do you not find that sometimes your shots suffer from Glare/Lens Flare? With the lights being in front of the front element? Or are you using the hood for MPE?

All you MT-24 do you not find that sometimes your shots suffer from Glare/Lens Flare? With the lights being in front of the front element? Or are you using the hood for MPE?
Didn't know the MPE had a hood, mine certainly doesn't.

...................and yeh, every day is a school day;)

Nope official Canon one... :D

View attachment 52422

Ah, ok. Never seen that before. Don't think I'd bother with one tho. Doesn't look like it'd be much use for real close up working distances and looks like you can't fix a ring or twin flash to it neither.

Ah, ok. Never seen that before. Don't think I'd bother with one tho. Doesn't look like it'd be much use for real close up working distances and looks like you can't fix a ring or twin flash to it neither.

Doesn't stick out very far to be honest but yeah not sure it will work with MT24 or anything similar... i personally use a 58-28 which I then cover in silver tape to bounce light back towards subject.

Yeah it is but if you see some of the international greats they have modded the MT-24 even further to make it more flexible. In fact some of them have given the MT-24 up ... Thomas Shanan, Nicky Bay, @orionmystery Kurt to name a few, so its not as great as you think.

Never heard of these photographer must be honest Bryn. But I'm not a great macro follower to that extent. Some wonderful images and I'm sure that they put a huge amount of effort into reducing/ eliminating hot spots etc. When I tried a flash on the end of an arm I found it extremely clumsy and difficult to the point that when I wanted to move it to try a different angle by the time I had done it whatever I was trying to photograph had gone. I quickly gave it up and bought a ring flash and spent some time and effort on that. I'm still a crap macro photographer but a damn sight better than I was with a flash on the end of an arm. Have never tried the flash on the hotshot with a long diffuser however so after seeing some of the set ups on here I might give it a go. But it's hard to argue against the flexibility of the MT-24 as a standard set up for most people who are semi serious about macro.

I don't use the hood but the diffusers that I linked to in post #6 change the lighting style from "reflective brolley" to "large softbox".

Bob

Ahh I see didn't realise that thanks :)

Looking good.
I'm trying to get either a 100-400mk2 or mp-e & mt-24 this year.

Back