MAC or PC for raw editing?

Name
Wei
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

I am hoping that someone who has given both a shot could comment on how a like for like (equal amount of RAM, graphics) mac and pc would compare in terms of post processing images.

They are both capable of raw editing. It really comes down to what you like to use Mac or pc

As above, used both and no real difference IMO. I still prefer Mac, but that's just preference.

I use both... PC at home and a MacBook Pro for editing when I'm out and about... Both are just as easy to work with so go with whatever you're most comfortable with. :)

Laptop defo a MacBook Pro

Desktop either, or a hackintosh for best of both worlds

PC better value. Mac better management. I do my editing and earn my living mixing on a hackingtosh. Best of both worlds.

Both are as capable as each other so you have to go with whichever you are most comfortable with.

You can 'legally' run Windows on a mac as well if you would like to swap between one and the other.

Last edited:
for desktop, pc. it should be a better long term solution, as you can progressively upgrade it endlessly, while desktop macs are more limited.

for laptop id either go mac, or surface pro (for the pen) or something similer with that function

You can get faster PC hardware for the cost of any Mac.

However, I still prefer Mac.

Perhaps you should write which exact PC/Mac configurations you are considering.

The platform doesn't make any difference. Typically you need less memory to complete the same task on a Mac, but it's more expensive in the first place. Go with what YOU are most comfortable using. I went from PC (as an ex-IT manager of 35 years) to Mac and never regretted it, but there's nothing at all wrong with a well-specced and built PC.

Hi all,

I am hoping that someone who has given both a shot could comment on how a like for like (equal amount of RAM, graphics) mac and pc would compare in terms of post processing images.

PC - I recently required an iMac - big regret if I'm honest - yes it looks nice but well over priced in the performance stakes.

The platform doesn't make any difference. Typically you need less memory to complete the same task on a Mac, but it's more expensive in the first place. Go with what YOU are most comfortable using. I went from PC (as an ex-IT manager of 35 years) to Mac and never regretted it, but there's nothing at all wrong with a well-specced and built PC.

Exactly, People say Macs are wonderful, much better than PCs etc etc, but actually what you're using is a software package, say Lightroom, and that's the same on either platform. It's the the spec that makes the difference and on that score, PCs are cheaper, and Macs are pretty - that's it. Macs also have that nice little Apple logo that seems to work the same kind of magic as Canon's red ring ;)

I run iMac and Laptop PC. Much prefer my iMac but because Aperture is no longer updated. I'm forced to use another, ie Lightroom to handle my D750 RAW. Laptop is ok but I'm terrified of viruses. Feel safer with my Mac.

Much prefer linux to windows for editing, so this would class as "pc" but have not edited on a mac - the only thing that would put me off would be not being able to choose my own monitor if it was an imac

Much prefer linux to windows for editing, so this would class as "pc" but have not edited on a mac - the only thing that would put me off would be not being able to choose my own monitor if it was an imac
But you can easily add extra monitors of any breed to an iMac - or get a Mac Mini.

And Linux and Mac both use a derivative of Unix as an o/s.

Last edited:
I prefer the bang per buck of a PC desktop, but you've got to pay a fortune for a silent one (don't really care about the OS if I'm in Lightroom anyway) so I went iMac. For a laptop, I found it actually cheaper to get the rMBP over an equivalent dell anyway.

Really wish I could have got an XPS13 for cheaper than my Macbook though - would have been nice to have one Mac and one PC. Essentially though, if you spend all your time in Lightroom and general office tasks it should make no real difference what your OS is.

Both are as capable as each other so you have to go with whichever you are most comfortable with.

You can 'legally' run Windows on a mac as well if you would like to swap between one and the other.

But why buy a Mac to run Windows??

FWIW I use both, but my desktop and editing machine is a Mac which I prefer in many aspects. Windows is better value granted.

Back