Mac Pro 5.1?

Name
Ned
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been thinking of upgrading my 2011 iMac to the new retina one. However I find myself permanently annoyed that I can't upgrade the parts myself, especially as I used to build my own PCs.

I have stumbled a rock the Mac Pro 5.1 which looks like it would provide a hefty upgrade at lower cost AND it is expandable (only pitfall being lower WAF).

Does anyone know much about them? Are they still worthwhile? Anything to look out for?

We stopped buying Mac pros a long time ago at work.

The cost just isn't worth it for 2d work. High spec Macbook pros have replaced those have have come end of life. Not had any grumbles from the users.

I've been thinking of upgrading my 2011 iMac to the new retina one. However I find myself permanently annoyed that I can't upgrade the parts myself, especially as I used to build my own PCs.

I have stumbled a rock the Mac Pro 5.1 which looks like it would provide a hefty upgrade at lower cost AND it is expandable (only pitfall being lower WAF).

Does anyone know much about them? Are they still worthwhile? Anything to look out for?

5.1 is the last tower Mac Pro. It was introduced in 2012 and was a minor upgrade to the previous model.
It has neither USB 3 or Thunderbolt but it is able to be upgraded with GPU/expansion cards, RAM and HDD (up to 4).

As neil_g says, the current crop of Macbook Pros outperforms these machines for photo based work. I would avoid unless you have a particular need.

Thanks chaps :)

So with regards to using a MBP, I presume you can get docking stations and use a big screen?

Thanks chaps :)

So with regards to using a MBP, I presume you can get docking stations and use a big screen?

There are some third party docks out there, but the Retina display machines come with an HDMI port.

and a mini displayport.

macbooks dont have a docking port, but are easy to hook up to an external display. all of ours just sit next to their external displays (typically 27" dell ultrasharps these days, avoid the mac displays), and have USB and displayport to the screen. keyboard and mouse cables run into the USB on the back of the screens to keep it tidy.

There are some third party docks out there, but the Retina display machines come with an HDMI port.

and a mini displayport.

macbooks dont have a docking port, but are easy to hook up to an external display. all of ours just sit next to their external displays (typically 27" dell ultrasharps these days, avoid the mac displays), and have USB and displayport to the screen. keyboard and mouse cables run into the USB on the back of the screens to keep it tidy.

Thanks gents.

So you can put the keyboard and mouse into the screen? that's pretty cool. I suppose you can use bluetooth too.

Suppose I'd better start checking benchmarks to see if a modern Macbook Pro can compete with my 2011 iMac or whether or not this is just another case of GAS!

Unless one needs a laptop, what about using the iMac as a display for a a Mac Mini?

Or .... Since you always enjoyed upgrading your PCs why not build a hackintosh. I did that with top end PC components a while back when Apple just didn't have a better power mac.

It was to compliment my mbp and MacBook as the time. Just an alternative thought that can satisfy gas, gives something to do by building a machine yourself.

Yeah, Mac mini isn't really an upgrade over what I have already - I want something with dedicated graphics

Or .... Since you always enjoyed upgrading your PCs why not build a hackintosh. I did that with top end PC components a while back when Apple just didn't have a better power mac.

It was to compliment my mbp and MacBook as the time. Just an alternative thought that can satisfy gas, gives something to do by building a machine yourself.

Hmmm... interesting idea. I don't think I have the time to spend tinkering but I see you can buy pre-built machines which might be an interesting option.

Yeah, Mac mini isn't really an upgrade over what I have already - I want something with dedicated graphics.
I understand that but I think the graphics in the current Mac Mini are the same/similar to those of some of the current MacBook Pro, hence my suggestion. However I am no expert in this area!

I have two Mac Minis and understand your frustration about the upgrading/repair. Apple don't consider the needs of people already in the system who already have monitors etc. I have been considering hackintosh to solve that.

I understand that but I think the graphics in the current Mac Mini are the same/similar to those of some of the current MacBook Pro, hence my suggestion. However I am no expert in this area!

The top of the range 15" Macbook Pro is the only one which has a dedicated graphics card, the others are, as you say, same/similar to the Mini. I'm heading into town later and will take a look to see if a 15" laptop is too big for me, otherwise I might just bite the bullet and get the Retina iMac...

Do the iMac still use mobile GPU?

If so that may be a moot point. The onboard Intel GPU on the later generation CPU are pretty good.

The 21" ones have onboard GPU (Intel Iris 6X00) but the 27" Retina ones have Radeon R9 M390 2GB which would be good enough to play Shadow of Mordor (which is another reason for upgrading :D).

To be honest I would go the Hackintosh route for a desktop.

The 5.1 is an awesome machine, a USB 3 card is about 15 quid. They run super smooth.

The 27inch with the Radeon are awesome bits of kit.

I am a mac convert that misses the flexibility/expandability of PC's
I did consider the old mac pro's myself but they just wouldn't cut it.
I decided to buy a fully upgraded 27" iMac.
From that basis (a fallback if anything ever went weird) my next computer was going to be a hackintosh.
There are approved components and set build guides on http://www.tonymacx86.com which is regularly updated.

That same eula seems to allow for one if you have another Mac as well. That is how never guilty of my hackintosh as I've got three proper macs as well.

i seem to remember it expressly forbids installation on non apple hardware however ;)
It used to, but that was changed when virtualisation was allowed.

really?

el cap EULA:

"I. Other Use Restrictions. The grants set forth in this License do not permit you to, and you agree not to, install, use or run the Apple Software on any non-Apple-branded computer, or to enable others to do so. Except as otherwise permitted by the terms of this License or otherwise licensed by Apple: (i) only one user may use the Apple Software at a time, and (ii) you may not make the Apple Software available over a network where it could be run or used by multiple computers at the same time. You may not rent, lease, lend, sell, redistribute or sublicense the Apple Software."

The VM bit only allows those VM to be on an apple host also:

"(iii) to install, use and run up to two (2) additional copies or instances of the Apple Software within virtual operating system environments on each Mac Computer you own or control that is already running the Apple Software, for purposes of: (a) software development; (b) testing during software development; (c) using OS X Server; or (d) personal, noncommercial use."

Last edited:
I'm thinking about buying a 4,1 or 5,1 Mac Pro and flashing EFI to accept top end Westmere processors (like in 2010+ Mac Pros) which still seems to be top end of Geekbench.

I currently rock a Mac Mini Server i7 which punches above its weight at Mac Pro level (9k) single processor. However I could do with some extra juice to work with the large files from my A7Rii

really?

el cap EULA:

"I. Other Use Restrictions. The grants set forth in this License do not permit you to, and you agree not to, install, use or run the Apple Software on any non-Apple-branded computer, or to enable others to do so. Except as otherwise permitted by the terms of this License or otherwise licensed by Apple: (i) only one user may use the Apple Software at a time, and (ii) you may not make the Apple Software available over a network where it could be run or used by multiple computers at the same time. You may not rent, lease, lend, sell, redistribute or sublicense the Apple Software."

The VM bit only allows those VM to be on an apple host also:

"(iii) to install, use and run up to two (2) additional copies or instances of the Apple Software within virtual operating system environments on each Mac Computer you own or control that is already running the Apple Software, for purposes of: (a) software development; (b) testing during software development; (c) using OS X Server; or (d) personal, noncommercial use."
They may have tightened it up again for El Capitan. Definitely was there previously.

They may have tightened it up again for El Capitan. Definitely was there previously.

I'm pretty certain it was not, there hasn't been a "legal" way to run Mac OS on non-Apple hardware since the days of System 7.

Well, ultimately it is a hack with all the risks to uptime, security, and any crackdown apple may choose to do. In which case you are left with a fast windows box and if you followed my suggestion, have a backup mac as a baseline so your business isn't affected by any such downtime.
Its important to recognise the risks, but the flexibility and cost cutting, when there isn't really a suitable alternative, can't be ignored.

WRT the mac pro, look at the software you intend to use and whether or not it can utilise all the cores. Higher CPU clock cycles may matter more and need factored into a cost/performance analysis.

Back