Mach valley

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Evening folks

Just wondered if anyone has been here? How frequently you can see the low level flying?

John

Hi John,

In brief, weekdays only and anything from none upto 10ish passes if you're really lucky.

Nice scenery if nothing else is happening though.

Sadly the good old days are behind us....ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1455476594.289301.jpg

There's a group of us going up to the loop next week. Thread in the meet section.

Thanks agent , found it now, how frequently do they fly through the valley? Won't be able to get any time off this month

Variety and quantity, don't get me wrong, there's still good days but much less frequent now. As I say, appreciate the views and anything else is a bonus.

Happy hunting to all who's going next week.

Thanks agent , found it now, how frequently do they fly through the valley? Won't be able to get any time off this month

They fly Mon-Fri, at what frequency is a lottery :) Saw Hawks and Tornados last time I was there.

Variety and quantity, don't get me wrong, there's still good days but much less frequent now. As I say, appreciate the views and anything else is a bonus.

Happy hunting to all who's going next week.

Thanks!

Quick question to all who have been, Is it a long walk from parking to a good vantage point?

A Hawk trainer ripped past just below me this afternoon as I on my way up Pen Yr Ole Wen. It's always a treat.

Quick question to all who have been, Is it a long walk from parking to a good vantage point?

Not a long walk to Cad West from the layby, but it's steep. The Bwlch requires a bit of walking, but nothing strenuous.

Not a long walk to Cad West from the layby, but it's steep. The Bwlch requires a bit of walking, but nothing strenuous.

Thanks for that, suffering with my achilles at the moment but do fancy a day out

It is pot luck as to whether or not you are anything. Cad West is a fair climb but isn't too bad if it isn't too muddy. Very exposed so on a bad day you need to be well kitted up. Cad east is nearly accessible in the car.

Cheers gents I'll keep an eye on the location discussion as this months impossible but good to know also that it's not too far a hike

I visit the Loop regularly. There is no way of knowing whats going to fly thru unless you you have contacts at the air bases. Don't go unprepared good quality warm clothing with good waterproofs as well, walking boots are a must all year round for grip and ankle support and plenty of hot drinks and food. The weather up there can change in an instant from good to bad. There was a guy up West last week in trainers (Idiot) he must have fallen over half a dozen times going down, even hiking trainers are not suitable this time of the year infact never really as there is no ankle support and you walking on 45 degree sloes with hidden rocks mud, ice, snow etc

As for walking distance none of the locations are very far but not easy to get too its very steep and slippery Cad west is probably the easiest walk although the longest maybe half mile depending how high up you go the first part is easy enough but this time of the year its very muddy so I don't come back down that way preferring the old original path other side the fence, If its not muddy then its fine the second part is steep but very steady

Bwlch is a much shorter climb but more demanding (my favorite point) very slippy on the rocks when wet no real defined path to middle level ( better path but even longer and harder to top level and the exit)

Leave a good hour before dusk to get down as you don't want to get lost

Traffic wise be very prepared for nothing at all and if anything comes thru this time of the year it's a bonus

Not the best time of the year to plan your first visit unless you're with others that know the area

Enjoy yourself and please close all gates behind you and take your rubbish back home with you

Some good advice there but I'd also add don't park in front of the gate at the Bwlch, in case the farmer needs access for whatever reason.

What would be the best time of year to plan a visit? Always wanted to do this but would need to book a day off work or two..

As said above, There is no best time its pot luck, Go and enjoy the fabulous countryside and if anything comes thru its a bonus

What would be the best time of year to plan a visit? Always wanted to do this but would need to book a day off work or two..

The height of a Welsh Summer, when the risk of hypothermia is just average!

No real difference in times traffic wise, avoid weekends & bank holidays (inc American holidays).

i was on the M6 yesterday travelling back from brough in cumbria ( southbound ) somewhere near kendal a tornado came through the valley to our right and straight up the motorway very low
i know things like this can be deceptive but it looked to be a lot lower than the minimum flight deck it looked no more than a 100 feet above us

bit of a treat really and now i know where they fly over the lake district which i always wondered about

image.png There are TTA slots where aircraft can go to 100 ft.this is this weeks times

View attachment 57838 There are TTA slots where aircraft can go to 100 ft.this is this weeks times

Sorry mate but that's a total waste of time, Any headed up the loop do not use this guide its no good whatsoever, As stated it's really pot luck unless you have inside info from a pilot or friend at a base

No....it's only helpful for information to let people know when tonkas can go down to 100ft.as a time table is a waste of time I agree but as TTA slots lts invaluable.
Selkirk-Moffat valley had gr4's over the loch at 100ft last week....I only posted it because the guy above posted about a 100ft tonka.

Apart from a very brief stop off in the lay-by on the main road through once I have been here, but I must plan an excursion one day. It's a long way from home, so needs some thought and probably a good few other things to do in the area to make it worthwhile. Going all that way for a complete no-show day would be rather depressing though.

Back