Macro/Close up, of Snake, Lizard, Butterfly.

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Its been awhile since Ive posted anything on this forum.

These shots are of wild UK creatures, regarding the baby snake/adder photo, since its a Vipera berus (venomous snake) a certain amount of caution/field skills were used.

These photos are not cropped at all, however, to get this close, i used a Panasonic bridge camera, the FZ45, with a Raynox 250 macro lens attached.

No Flash, hand held.

This newborn/neonate Adder/snake would have been approx one month old, as you can see, it has tiny debris/cob web attached to its eye. I seemed to have focused mainly on the debris!
32x optical zoom used.

Newborn/Neonate Adder(uncropped). 24th-September-2013
by Testudo Man, on Flickr

This Common Lizard was basking up high on a log.
No more than 5x optical zoom used.

Common Lizard(uncropped). 24th-September-2013

2013 was a good year for Butterflies(even though we had a poor start to the season!)
From time to time, the UK gets good numbers of these visitors to its shores, from Europe/The Continent.
This being a Clouded Yellow Butterfly(female!)
32x optical zoom used.

Clouded Yellow Butterfly(uncropped). 11th-August-2013

Last edited:
Well done getting a shot of the baby adder I keep meaning to try to get some shots of adders I've seen them before but they have always been too quick
Great shot of the lizard good field craft getting that close
And really good close up of the Clouded yellow too:)

Well done getting a shot of the baby adder I keep meaning to try to get some shots of adders I've seen them before but they have always been too quick
Great shot of the lizard good field craft getting that close
And really good close up of the Clouded yellow too:)

Cheers, Im really keen on my Adder photography/observations, so i have 100's of snake shots on my Flickr. If you want to photograph adders, then March/April are good months(not too hot, and less vegetation growth) before they mate, then disperse. Lizards will allow you to get real close to them, if you move very slowly towards them. I was very lucky with that Clouded Yellow Butterfly, she had not long emerged, so i could get right up close to her.

Interesting post. I very much like the lizard shot.

All handheld and natural light. Nice. It makes me curious about shutter speed, aperture and ISO. :)

Thanks, i have several up close lizard shots, where i managed to get real close. As said above, if you move really slow towards them, they will tolerate you, and even on ocassion, common lizards will climb onto your finger/hand.

For my Bridge Camera work, its all a bit basic, I normally just shoot in macro mode, sub-setting "objects", auto focus, and just Jpeg too! Never use the Raw option!
I had to consult my memory card(where these photos are still saved) in order to checkout shutter speed/aperture/ISO settings for you!
Butterfly- F5.6 1/640 ISO 80.
Lizard- F3.9 1/80 ISO 80.
Snake- F5.2 1/125 ISO 125.

Hope this above^^^^helps...since Im not shooting in manual mode, im letting the camera take care of most things, as long as i have good light to work in, and i use macro mode, sub-setting "objects", then i can capture some nice images.
It would seem by me shooting auto focus, Jpeg, auto mode, hand held, no flash etc, that my style of photography goes against the norm, in regards to macro photography...But it works for me, i try and keep things as simple as i can.
I have my camera set on silent, no beeps for focusing either...it speeds things up, so without using "Burst" mode, i can pretty much take fast images, when i find suitable subjects, with very little delay inbetween shots.

Thanks mate, its appreciated.

For my Bridge Camera work, its all a bit basic....It would seem by me shooting auto focus, Jpeg, auto mode, hand held, no flash etc, that my style of photography goes against the norm, in regards to macro photography...But it works for me, i try and keep things as simple as i can.

Thanks for the extra information. "goes against the norm", he he. I know about that from my own approach. You've found what works for you and for your subjects, and it works well. Seems good to me. :)

Thanks for the extra information. "goes against the norm", he he. I know about that from my own approach. You've found what works for you and for your subjects, and it works well. Seems good to me. :)

No problems, i hardly ever view the Exif data, so it was interesting to me too!
You make some very good points, as in - "finding what works best for you", and - "using your own approach", in regards to your own chosen subjects.
There are no rules set in stone, and its certainly interesting to see/hear/talk about other peoples perspective on how they do things, in order to capture the type of images they are trying to achieve.

Another couple of images then, to stay on the theme of "no cropping". Both these photos below, are not cropped. At 600 x 450, the images are approx 14 % of their full size.

This adult male Adder/Vipera berus, was in slough/shed, hence the colour of its eyes. Once again, caution and field skills were used here.

Extreme macro of a snakes eye. 24th-April-2013

Another Common Lizard, this one being a juvenile, so quite small compared to that of the Adult.

Juvenile Common Lizard (uncropped).12th-May-2013

Back