Macro Lens advice

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
OK I've decided I need to get a Macro lens as I'm finding a few situations where I need to get closer. Mainly ring shots at weddings, and now baby photos, being able to get a nice full frame of a babies foot etc needs something that focuses closer than my current lenses will do.

I'm not going to use it every day so don't want to spend a mint, so looking at options. The Nikon 105VR sounds great, but toooooo pricey for the amount I'll use it.

Also wondering about the Canon close up filter, amyone used one of these on say the 24-70 or the 85/1.4?

Pete

Hi Pete,

I had a similar requirement. I didn’t want to spend much money on a macro lens as I knew it wouldn’t get much use. Many years ago I used to use a set of extension tubes on my old Practica and I remember how effective they were. I decided to buy a 12mm extension tube for my Canon setup and it suits my occasional macro needs perfectly.

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-canon-ef12ii-extension-tube/p12866

I took this shot last week with it attached to the 85 1.8.

http://www.ar-photographic.co.uk/galleries/Clients/Ben_24_07_2009/images/large/AR24070926.jpg

The other thing I like about this option is that the rings are so small and light. I can easily leave it in my camera bag just in case.

Might be worth considering if you’re looking for a cost effective option for very occasional use.

Andy.

I just bought the Sigma 105mm f2.8 Macro DG from Jessops - if you find it in a store it's only ~£250. I'm absolutely loving it.

Tamron 90mm seems popular but might be a bit more of a dedicated lens than you were wanting. The suggestions re: extension tubes could be a winner, it'll certainly reduce the amount of space used up carrying excess kit.

It's £439 on the jessops website :thinking:
As has been posted else where, Jessops and Sigma have fallen out of bed with each other, resulting in Jessops switching from Sigma to Tamron for their 3rd party lenses. While the website shows the official prices, go in to any Jessops store and you'll see the price on the card is a lot less than published (I suspect close to cost) with a lot of lenses (105mm f2.8 macro, 24-70 f2.8 HSM, & 50-500mm for certain) having an additional £50 off.
It's store specific (apparently the Preston branch has not yet changed their prices), and dependant on what stock they have in.

Back