Macro lens choices

Name
Graham Mc
Edit My Images
Yes
What's a really good macro lens to have ?
i've thrown out a load of magazines i meant to keep :bonk:
I'm not sure what i want to do, some ideas - SDOF on small objects, smal insects etc.

You won't go wrong with either of the following lenses, the first one being reputed to being one of the sharpest about. I've had both and can highly recomend them, plus used prices on here and the likes of eBay won't break the bank (y)

1. Sigma 70mm f/2.8

2. Sigma 105mm f/2.8

Thank you Andy, are these primes ? i thought macro's had to zoom or are they like magnefying glass, ta

Don't knoiw about the Sigma's mentioned above but I have the Tamron 90mm f2.8 Di and am very pleased with it on a D300. It is a sharp lens and good for both flowers and insects at that focal length

This was shot earlier this year with it.

Lilly by Don't like to be Bored, on Flickr

HTH

Nick

Zoom lenses are not true macro lenses, normally they only do half life size. Where as lenses that go to life size are usually primes. In the nikon range look at the. 60mm micro and the 105 vr micro, both excellent lensesm

A longish lens might be nice as you'll avoid frightening the beasties... and stay far enough from them that they don't feel the need to come a GET you!

I have a Siggy 150mm f2.8 and I think it's wonderful.

A longish lens might be nice as you'll avoid frightening the beasties... and stay far enough from them that they don't feel the need to come a GET you!....
True. (y)

However, as the shorter ones make for being a brilliant lens for subject matter such as Portraits etc, it might be the better option exploit this ersatility imho. When I was in a situation where I needed more reach from the 70mm Siggie I just added a Kenko 1.4x TC, and with the lens being f/2.8, there was little difference to IQ due to the TC knocking the aperture down by 1-stop :)

Last edited:
What's a really good macro lens to have ?

Depends how much money you have got ;). Ive not long bought a Nikon 200 f4 macro and bejeebers its good, sharp all the way across, cant fault it.
A bit lower down the scale, but equally impressive, is the Sigma 150mm, stonking lens and works very well with a 1.4tc stuck on the back of it so giving you the benefit of a mid range tele as well, great lens for bugs as you dont get too close to them and frighten off, or worse, squish them, though there were some pictures floating about a while back where somebody did exactly that.

I used to have the Sigma 105mm, but sold it and bought the 70mm to use for portraits as well. Excellent lens, can't fault it.

Nikon 105 is probably the best, if not the Tamron 90mm is very close!

Don't knoiw about the Sigma's mentioned above but I have the Tamron 90mm f2.8 Di and am very pleased with it on a D300. It is a sharp lens and good for both flowers and insects at that focal length

This was shot earlier this year with it.

Lilly by Don't like to be Bored, on Flickr

HTH

Nick

Ok. That's awesome. I'm buying flowers tomorrow seeing as I just bought the Tamron today :D

Nikon 105 is probably the best, if not the Tamron 90mm is very close!

True. Thom writes it about them both here.

Back