Macro lens

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I've been thinking about having a try with a macro lens, i've found it hard finfding advice. what can anyone recommend??

Am i better getting something approx 100mm?? Something in the £300 range;) I use a Nikon D90

Thanks
Simon

I believe it depends what you want to take - I may well be corrected on this but if you are looking to catch flying small winged things the longer the better (if they get spooked because you get too close). However the longer the more expensive!

Do you want it for static objects in the house for example, flowers, bugs etc, that will help people advise you.

When I looked into this before the Tamron 90mm seemed to get good feedback all round - I opted for the cheaper Kenko extension tubes to turn my existing lenses into Macro lenses before I took the plunge on a dedicated macro lens.

So far it's made me understand how good some of the macro photographers on here are (but I knew that already really)!

this is a regular question asked on here. have a search and you will find some excellent suggestions. my choice was the sigma 105 and a set of kenko tubes and have been very happy with them so far. lighting is important if your going for bugs, an off camera bracket is useful to get the flash over the front of the lens.

I got a nikon 55mm micro lens for cheap :) Takes great pics, but have to be pretty close!

3679676740_4c00b9a1e7_o.jpg

3718686046_195dd5f6bb_o.jpg

3679682458_b71037f536_o.jpg

I have a 105mm Sigma which is a great macro lens. Not sure if you can get it new for £300, but ebay (where I got mine) may be an option. I payed about 250£ for a lens in mint condition

Thanks think i'll be mainly taking photos of objects/flowers etc rather than flys etc due to the need for the extra reach and the cost of the lenses. Tamron and the sigma are what i thought might be the best bet!

@grahamc that nikon 55mm looks to take nice shots too!!

Am i right the kenko tubes decrease the focus distance?

Looked through your flickrs, nice shots!!

Si

What about the Nikon AFS 105mm f/2.8 luuuurrrrvvvley lens :) They are an absolute peach.

I really love mine, no idea what they cost now or how much second hand. In fact I don't remember seeing one second hand. They are a really good prime lens for normal photography too.

i had a look at the 105mm f2.8 micro nikkors and even the ais ones go for over £300 on fleabay.

i should have a sigma 105mm f/2.8 arriving in the morning - can't wait!

sigma 50mm 2.8 macro is a nice lens. I'm trying to get on eon ebay...

Budget of £300 or so cuts the choices down a little but there are still some good options. The Tamron 90mm f/2.8 is a fine performer and comes in at £319. The Sigma 105mm f/2.8 is a bit more expensive at £369 though. Both can be found second hand (if you're lucky) for £200 - £250 (dealer price with 3-6 month warranty) so under budget. Another option would be the Nikon 60mm f/2.8 Micro which should be long enough for flowers and objects but would be a bit short for insects etc. (price new is £299) as would the Sigma 50mm f/2.8 (£249). The new prices I've quoted are all from the latest Mifsuds ad in Amateur Photographer and the second hand ones are guestimates based on what I've seen advertised in the recent past. The for sale section on this very board is worth a look - try a Wants ad!

Grahamc, nice shots. I actually want to go out and take similar ones now ;)

Thanks think i'll be mainly taking photos of objects/flowers etc rather than flys etc due to the need for the extra reach and the cost of the lenses. Tamron and the sigma are what i thought might be the best bet!

In that case, I would also recommend looking at the Sigma 50mm lens - cheaper option than the 105mm and it's not so much of an issue if you need to be a bit closer. (y)

As has been said the sigma 105mm and the tamron 90mm are both cracking lens for the cost , just remember the smaller the focal length the closer you need to get to the subject for 1:1 60mm lens is approx 90mm from subject and 105mm lens is approx 122mm.

Can anyone tell me if the Nikon 105mm is a flat 2.8 wide open ?

The reason I ask is because today I had a play with a Sigma 105mm f2.8 in my local Jessops, and noticed the aperture rising to 3.2, 3.2 -> as I changed focal length, and on looking at the manual that comes with it (lets be honest we never normally look at these) the lens is actually f5.6 in macro mode.

The reason I ask is because today I had a play with a Sigma 105mm f2.8 in my local Jessops, and noticed the aperture rising to 3.2, 3.2 -> as I changed focal length, and on looking at the manual that comes with it (lets be honest we never normally look at these) the lens is actually f5.6 in macro mode.

Yes it is.

Hmm that doesn't seem right. Was it the Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro? I can run mine from infinity focus to closest focus with the aperture at f/2.8. Didnt have the camera in auto or P mode did you? In which case it was the camera changing the aperture...

Hmm that doesn't seem right. Was it the Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro? I can run mine from infinity focus to closest focus with the aperture at f/2.8. Didnt have the camera in auto or P mode did you? In which case it was the camera changing the aperture...
Nope had the camera in aperture priority mode. The staff were prepping the lens to send back to Sigma when one of them looked at the paper work that came with it and it had at the bottom a chart showing maximum aperture at varying focal distances.

Doesnt sound like the right lens to me as theres no such chart in my paperwork.

Like i said, mine can stay at f/2.8 from closest right to infinity.

The lens is doing what it should do - some bodies lens combinations actually report the effective aperture when using a macro lens, ALL macro lens will not have the minimum effective aperture when shooting in macro mode , its just some bodies dont report it. to work out the effective aperture when shooting macro you use the following formula

Effective Aperture = (Aperture Setting) + (Aperture Setting x Magnification)

so if you try and shoot at f2.8

= 2.8 + (2.8 X 1) = f5.6

you see the aperture change as you adjust the focus as you are effectivly changing the magnification of the lens.

The Nikon is f2.8 wide open at normal shooting distances, however as you get into close up / macro working distances you will see the maximum aperture move towards f3.2.

This is normal for a macro lens.

It is down to the design of the lens, and the physics involved in enabling it to focus at such close distances.

You would not be at these numbers in practical use for macro work as the depth of field would be too thin.

Cheers guys, I might wander back in to my local Jessops tomorrow then and pick it up (at that price if it's fine I just can't turn down the chance).

Back