macro lens

Name
sam
Edit My Images
Yes
hi all, I am looking to buy a used macro lens for my canon 550d.
the choices I have are a
EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM
or a Canon FD 50mmm f/3.5 Macro 1:1
what do you guys reckon.
thanks sam.

The Canon FD lens will not fit directly to your camera (Different mount)

Are you sure the FD 50/3.5 is 1:1 ? I'm pretty certain that it only went down to 1:2 without the addition of extension tubes.

Bob

I have the 550d and have just bought a sigma 105mm macro lens... Works a treat so far!

John

nobody mentioned Tokina 100mm f2.8 macro? super sharp lens... used it on crop body before and now using on full frame. just superb lens !

The ef-s 60mm is also a good length for portrait shoots. I recently bought the 100L macro and really don't see much difference from the 60mm which I am about to sell, however the 60mm won't fit on my 6D.

If all you are wanting is a macro function, and not so much for portraits, then the FD 50/3.5 will work on your camera with an FD/EOS adapeter. Make sure you get the adapter that does not have any correction glass so it functions as basically a very small extension tube. Using a manual focus lens like this means you have no auto focus (which you dont need for macro anyway) and of course the view finder will darken as you stop the lens down. You will also have to shoot in aperture priority or manual mode. But it works, I used to do in on my old 40D all the time until I got my NEX 7 which is so much better for using old glass.

If you are considering older lenses for macro (which I heartily recommend) you might look at something in the Contax/Yashica mount or the M42 mount. You can get a simple C/Y or M42 adapter for your EOS that has no correction glass and is basically just a spacer. These lenses, unlike the FD, can be used for normal and macro photography throughout their entire range. So regular picture, portraits and macro are all doable.

If you go with C/Y then you open up the option of some really nice Yashica ML macro lenses along with the Zeiss Makro Planars that came in 60 and 100mm focal lengths. Those lenses are beyond reproach and capable of great photographs. The Zeiss lenses are pricey but the Yashica ML macro lenses (55/2.8 verion and 55/4 version) can be had for much less money with very similar optical performance. They were after all made on the same assembly line at the same factory. (With the small exception of some lenses that were actually made in Germany by Zeiss).

M42 screwmount will open up TONS of options, but there are more dogs floating around in this mount. If you stay with the bigger players (Pentax SMC, Fujinon EBC, Yashica Yashinon) you cant really go to far wrong.

One other mention in old manual focus glass should be the legendary Tamron SP 90/2.5 in adaptall mount. The neat thing about this lens is you can use it right on your EOS if you can find the somewhat rare Adaptall/EOS adapter. If you cant, you can always use the readily available Adaptall/CY mount and then put it on your CY/EOS adapter.

Examples of several of the lenses mentioned here can be found in my macro set on flickr. Shot mostly on the NEX 7 but many on my old 40D. http://www.flickr.com/photos/8539414@N07/sets/72157626866276690/

One other mention. Most of these require an extension tube (usually around 27mm) to reach a 1:1 ration. Most only go to 1:2 natively.

hi all, I am looking to buy a used macro lens for my canon 550d.
the choices I have are a
EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM
or a Canon FD 50mmm f/3.5 Macro 1:1
what do you guys reckon.
thanks sam.

From these 2, I'd opt for the Canon 60mm.

I'd seriously look at and recommend the Sigma 50mm Macro (which is a true 1:1 Macro lens) - we have one and love it...

I have had, over the years a Tamron 90, a Canon 60 and most recently a Canon 100mm. All are macro lenses. The Tamron 90 was a nice lens but not the sharpest. The Canon 60 was the sharpest lens I think I have ever owned and was great as a portrait lens but the lack of range meant IMHO you had to get too close to the little critters and this spooked them. The Canon 100 is nearly as sharp as the 60mm and the extra length means you can stay that bit further away from the subject and don't risk scaring them off.

Now I am commenting on the individual lenses I owned and others may have different experiences of each of the above lenses. One piece of advice though unless your macro shooting will be plants and flowers and not insects go for a longer lens not a 50 or 60mm.

thanks guys, going to look at a sigma 105 lens,a bit expensive,but will have to save some pennies.
I want a macro lens for small wild life creatures.

Hi Sam was good to meet you the other day. From memory you said you were looking at insects and the like. You would be best looking at something at least 100mm for this, the problem with the shorter lengths is you have to get close to them to fill the frame. Problem with that is they tend to fly off :)

thanks chris, and all you guys,
I think I am going to have to be guided by you guys,
am looking to get some real detail with a macro lens,
so as to prevent me getting to close before they go,
I will have to take my time in making a decision.
pity you can not try before you buy,

I was told that 150mm+ was the range you need to look in for insect macro work. I could be wrong though, that's just something I've pulled out of the memory bank.

Still not used mine much! The little buggers are all hiding.

thanks guys, going to look at a sigma 105 lens,a bit expensive,but will have to save some pennies.
I want a macro lens for small wild life creatures.

If buying used, be aware that there are 2 versions of this - the newer version has OS (stabilised) and is a better buy for insects etc as it does not extend during focusing whereas the old one does (quite a bit) and that can sometimes scare off the bugs! This is the newer version - has come down in price a lot recently (from £500 ish a year ago to around £370 ish now): http://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/p-sigma-105mm-f-2-8-ex-dg-os-hsm-canon-fit-.htm

Canon 100mm macro lens (non L version) is a similar price new (around £400) but I don't know what that's like as I don't use Canon. The Tokina mentioned above I have never used either but MPB have one for £229 here: http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/us...tokina-100mm-f/2.8-at-x-macro---canon-ef-fit/

Last edited:
Back