Wild Macro safari shot from September 19

Name
Alf
Edit My Images
Yes
Here are some shots from a macro safari last September that I never processed or posted any of all were taken in my garden

This is one of those I only know exist because I photographed it and it appears to be a many plumed moth

Many plumed moth by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Some of the few honey bees I saw last year in the garden

Honey bee on sedum by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Honey bee on sedum 2 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

A couple of bumble bees the second one may have a mite on its tongue I have seen that before and bee couldn't retract its tongue these mites are usually just hitching a lift

Bumble bee on sedum by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Bumble bee on sedum 2 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Finally a spider siting waiting but having something to eat

On the lookout by Alf Branch, on Flickr

What do you think?

Last edited:
Lovely shots Alf, I like the Moth one the best.

I particularly like the first two bees Alf, but most of all the moth. What wonderful wings it has. I imagine it was quite small, and possibly therefore not so easy to photograph.

Thanks Nick
The moth would be 13-16mm so not that small but not easy to get a good angle on due to its stance and location

Very nice, I saw that moth last year but alas I didn't have a camera with me.

Thanks David
Pity you werent able to get a shot amazing little moth

Lovely shots Alf, I like the Moth one the best.

Thanks Graham

That moth is a new one on me, thanks for sharing :)

Also very much liking the bees...

Thanks Si

Thanks Nick
The moth would be 13-16mm so not that small but not easy to get a good angle on due to its stance and location

Thanks David
Pity you werent able to get a shot amazing little moth

Thanks Graham

Thanks Si
I agree, do you see other plume moths often? I see this one a couple of times a year - apparently it is one of the commonest ones Pterophorus pentadactyla is the latin name.
MothIMG_5259 by davholla2002, on Flickr

I agree, do you see other plume moths often? I see this one a couple of times a year - apparently it is one of the commonest ones Pterophorus pentadactyla is the latin name.
MothIMG_5259 by davholla2002, on Flickr

I have never seen a plume moth like that

Last edited:
I have never seen a plume moth like that
That surprises me, it is meant to be in most place in the UK where there is bindweed - do you not have any bindweed? If you don't - what is your secret?? I have a train line at the back of my house - and that is good or rather bad source for bindweed.
https://ukmoths.org.uk/species/pterophorus-pentadactyla

I think I saw it today just now (not sure though as it was quick).

Last edited:
Back