Magic Lantern On a 50d?

I use it on a 500D, primarily for the video features as I like being able to specify the shutter speed/aperture & ISO for video.
The motion detection mode also works quite well as does the intervalometer and other features.
The volume gain is also helpful when recording sound & video together.

I have a separate 16GB class 10 SD card with it on specifically for video and 2 4GB sandisk extremes without it on just for photographs.

If you shoot video you have nothing to lose by adding it, but a lot to gain.

Last edited:
I literally this afternoon installed it on my 50D. It won't work with the latest firmware, 10.0.9, but it does work with 10.0.8. If you don't have 10.0.8 then there is one place left online from which you can download it, I believe, but it's only a Windows version. I had to borrow my friend's Laptop because I couldn't for the life of me find a Mac version. Once I'd gotten 10.0.8 installed then it booted right up. The only downside I can find so far is that it's a little slower to boot up from sleep mode than without it, but it's great that you can use the camera as standard if you wish. You boot up Magic Lantern by hitting the 'info' button, which gives you a whole host of other settings you can play with. You won't get sound with the 50D, but it does record good quality video. I can't wait to have a play with it properly outside.

Thanks Jack for that extra bit of info, I am charging my battery now. Got .08 firmware on a memory card ready as my body is currently on 05, the previous owner hadn't updated it. The lack of sound is ok, I will mainly want to use it for wildlife. Do you know if it gives you a zoom mode for the video like the 600d 3-10 x?

I literally this afternoon installed it on my 50D. It won't work with the latest firmware, 10.0.9, but it does work with 10.0.8. If you don't have 10.0.8 then there is one place left online from which you can download it, I believe, but it's only a Windows version. I had to borrow my friend's Laptop because I couldn't for the life of me find a Mac version. Once I'd gotten 10.0.8 installed then it booted right up. The only downside I can find so far is that it's a little slower to boot up from sleep mode than without it, but it's great that you can use the camera as standard if you wish. You boot up Magic Lantern by hitting the 'info' button, which gives you a whole host of other settings you can play with. You won't get sound with the 50D, but it does record good quality video. I can't wait to have a play with it properly outside.

how good is the video ?

is it full hd and can you choose settings for it .

I had the 1.1.0 firmware on my 60D and it wouldn't install initially.

I reinstalled 1.1.0 and it then worked.

It's pretty cool for video and lets me monitor my external Rode mic much better.

Thanks Jack for that extra bit of info, I am charging my battery now. Got .08 firmware on a memory card ready as my body is currently on 05, the previous owner hadn't updated it. The lack of sound is ok, I will mainly want to use it for wildlife. Do you know if it gives you a zoom mode for the video like the 600d 3-10 x?

There's an option for a cropped zoom frame in the middle of the image, so you can magnify that central frame to aid in focusing while keeping an eye on your overal framing around the outside while recording at the same time, if that makes any sense. As far as I'm aware there's no way to zoom in to actually video, although you can always crop when you're editing.

In answer to Starastin, the video is 30fps and 1080p HD, and there's also a SD mode, still at 30fps. As the 50D doesn't natively shoot video you don't get too many options in terms of framerates and the like.

There's an option for a cropped zoom frame in the middle of the image, so you can magnify that central frame to aid in focusing while keeping an eye on your overal framing around the outside while recording at the same time, if that makes any sense. As far as I'm aware there's no way to zoom in to actually video, although you can always crop when you're editing.

In answer to Starastin, the video is 30fps and 1080p HD, and there's also a SD mode, still at 30fps. As the 50D doesn't natively shoot video you don't get too many options in terms of framerates and the like.

fair enough for the odd video :)
thanks !

Well, tried it and it didn't work, followed everything exactly as stated, I got the success screen went to go in to the ml menu and the letters were unintelligible so decided to uninstall!

You're definitely running on firmware 10.0.8? Once ML has fully installed you should turn the camera off and then back on again, and then it should work as expected. Just making sure as in your response you made it sound like you went straight to the menu once it had successfully installed.

Yes, I did switch off and back on again, something flashed quickly which I think said copy all ml files, but I had done that, so not sure what went wrong?

Try again from scratch. Put the original Canon firmware back on the card and boot into that on the camera. Once the camera is running on that, uninstall ML, format it off the card, and copy all the root files back onto the card again, and then try the install again. Other than that I wouldn't know what to suggest.

Also you need to make sure you copy all the files and folders in the ML download onto the memory card, then follow through as jack said.
It has to install a firmware addition to allow the camera to boot from the memory card firstly, once this is done you switch off, then back on where it should boot from the memory card.

I run the latest firmware on my 500D and haven't had an issue with it yet.
I also set my lens to manual focus and use the back button in live view to magnify the image for focusing.
I also only really shoot wildlife ie birds.

Bird video here

Back