Making things Disapear

MWHCVT

In Memoriam
Name
Matthew
Edit My Images
Yes
I sometimes wonder if I go to far with editing so just because I can I'm going to put this pair of photo's up to show how much I've taken out of the scene to make it what I wanted :cautious:

To set the scene, I when to this location as reports of the poppies and photo's that I had seen showed just how good they were this year (y) so after a roughly 40-50 mile drive and then about 1/3-1/2 mile walk to the location I find that because of the way the entrance was constructed there was no way that I with my large build (actually I'm just flipping fat) ;) but there we go :LOL: there was no way that I could get into the field to get the best views of the scene :dummy:

This left me only being able to get photo's from the gate of the poppies, this left me with the issue that there was some post's and rope and of course people that were taking there photo's and there was never a time when there were not people there :(

So this is the photo that I shot, it has been through RAW processing only at this time so is only about a 1/3 of the way through PP at this stage :D

POPPIES THE ORGINAL by mwhcvt, on Flickr

There was a lot more processing for me to do to get to the final image that I wanted from the scene to the point that I finally ended up with this as my photo (y)

171/366 (536) (Explored) by mwhcvt, on Flickr

So how can we really believe what we see :naughty: all is not always what it appears (y)

As with all my images comments & critique is welcomed and appreciated (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

Definitely better! Good idea to show the before and after shots. Perhaps more people should do that!

I though so, I don't normally show of what my work looks like before editing is completed but in this instance I though it was good to show as it shows just what level of work can sometimes go into making that shot (y)

Like you Matt, I always try to get as much right in camera as possible, but there are times where to get the shot exactly as you envision it, you need to resort to technical trickery.

For what it's worth i think your cloning is pretty insignificant, I certainly don't feel conned by it. I rather suspect a great many landscapes have things like this, along with power transmission lines removed to make the shot look better.

It's a nice shot and your post work has only enhanced it.

The great thing about photography is there are no rules, you can do as little or as much photoshopping and tweaking as you want, I think nearly everybody expects these days that a photograph will have some degree of processing applied to it.

Like you Matt, I always try to get as much right in camera as possible, but there are times where to get the shot exactly as you envision it, you need to resort to technical trickery.

For what it's worth i think your cloning is pretty insignificant, I certainly don't feel conned by it. I rather suspect a great many landscapes have things like this, along with power transmission lines removed to make the shot look better.

It's a nice shot and your post work has only enhanced it.

The great thing about photography is there are no rules, you can do as little or as much photoshopping and tweaking as you want, I think nearly everybody expects these days that a photograph will have some degree of processing applied to it.

Thanks Mark, I'm pleased that you like the image that I was able to create out of the original files (y) I love the image and when I shot it I knew I was going to have to do the work that I did (y) thankfully not something that I'm adverse to doing :D I suspect your correct that more have stuff removed from them than some care to admit (y) or more PP in general :D

Matt

My better half aka She who must be obeyed, thinks it would look nice if you'd left just the couple in the middle in the shot.

My better half aka She who must be obeyed, thinks it would look nice if you'd left just the couple in the middle in the shot.

You know what Simon, your SWMBO had a good point there I'll have a play around later on and see how that looks (y)

shame the sky was overcast, would love to see this with blue skies and fluffy clouds.

Great pp though

shame the sky was overcast, would love to see this with blue skies and fluffy clouds.

Great pp though

Putting new sky's in is something that I've never done before but it is a skill I aim to learn (y)

Heck, best not let her see your reply, I'll never live it down! :D

I'll deny it if she see's it :LOL:

I agree with Simon's missus, I think it would look stunning with either of the couples still in the shot - makes it seem more alive - I'm probably thinking of that flake advert from the 70's, I was only a kid but I used to love it, thought it was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen - I still love poppies and water-colours :LOL:

I agree with Simon's missus, I think it would look stunning with either of the couples still in the shot - makes it seem more alive - I'm probably thinking of that flake advert from the 70's, I was only a kid but I used to love it, thought it was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen - I still love poppies and water-colours :LOL:

Thanks Summer, I'm about to start work on an edit with one of the couples in thanks to some inspiration from Yvonne (y)

Can I ask where the field was as been looking for a good one for ages

I actually prefer the first photo with people in it, they provide a point of interest and not a blank canvas, yes remove the posts by all means but leaving the people there gives a better idea of scale.

I would also so blow up the part with the person taking the photo, definately looks like a Nikon camera to me.;);):LOL:

Realspeed

Last edited:
Can I ask where the field was as been looking for a good one for ages

It's near Bewdley in the West Midlands if you google Blackstone Farm, Bewdley it's a regular location for poppies (y)

I actually prefer the first photo with people in it, they provide a point of interest and not a blank canvas, yes remove the posts by all means but leaving the people there gives a better idea of scale.

I would also so blow up the part with the person taking the photo, definately looks like a Nikon camera to me.;);):LOL:

Realspeed

I can see your point (y) I'm working on a version keeping some of the people in (y) and I assure you it was a red strap (y) none of those filthy Nikon blocks allowed in that field :naughty: :coat:

Matt

The poppies have finished now folks. Our wonderful summer has seen to that.

You can also search for Blackstone poppies in Flickr too. You'll find some totally brilliant ones there from one particular person :)

The poppies have finished now folks. Our wonderful summer has seen to that.

You can also search for Blackstone poppies in Flickr too. You'll find some totally brilliant ones there from one particular person :)

Indeed the weather has not been poppy friendly this year :(

A lovely scene Matt. Super processing. Shame about the sky, but we can't have everything!
I think I'd like it with the couple still on the right. I think they work better as they appear to be in motion, walking into the field, whereas the central pair are clearly static. :)

hmm if anything i would leave in the couple on the right as more to the right thirds.

Nope, the couple on the right should have been left in :)

Nice to see the before/after shots Matt, shows what you can make with a bit of work.

Not only have you made items vanish....it looks like you did your magic in the title too!

Lovely location and you did a good job with no2. Desperately looking for poppies on the Isle of Wight but the only ones I can find are on the side of the dual carriagewasy or narrow roads:(

A lovely scene Matt. Super processing. Shame about the sky, but we can't have everything!
I think I'd like it with the couple still on the right. I think they work better as they appear to be in motion, walking into the field, whereas the central pair are clearly static. :)

I'm in the process of doing a version with some of the people still in (y) but I'm editing it with a bit of a funky processing treatment something very new to me ;)

hmm if anything i would leave in the couple on the right as more to the right thirds.

Nope, the couple on the right should have been left in :)

Nice to see the before/after shots Matt, shows what you can make with a bit of work.

Indeed I've kept them in on the version that I'm currently processing :D It's nice to occasionally a shot as it was and how it can be (y)

Nice work Matt, your lucky having all those poppy fields down south

Even we didn't have many this year mate :(

Not only have you made items vanish....it looks like you did your magic in the title too!

Whoops :bang:

I concur but will you tell her she's wrong please! :LOL:

No way :exit:

Lovely location and you did a good job with no2. Desperately looking for poppies on the Isle of Wight but the only ones I can find are on the side of the dual carriagewasy or narrow roads:(

It's a really challenge but when you do it's such a wonderful prize for the hunt :D

Matt

Good edit, Matt. The people bother me less than those posts.

Back