Name
Karen
Edit My Images
No
A male and female stonechat

stonechat1x2.jpg

stonechat4x5.jpg

Last edited:
Lovely shots Karen, nice to see both the male and female. Love the colours and the blue BG.

Regards:Gordon

Two great shots Karen. :clap:

Thought for a minute you had got them both together in the same shot. Both very good images though.

Two very nice pictures Karen, good to see them against the blue sky too, well taken (y)

Nice work. Is the female perhaps over-sharpened? Bit of CA too. The male is the better shot imo.
Jonathan

If that's over sharpened then I give up.........whats CA.

The light does not look ideal on these so great shots
Keith (y)

If you look very close there is a tiny halo on both pictures indicating perhaps a bit of over sharpening, more noticeable on the female. Perhaps my eyes are failing, but look as hard as I can, I fail to find any CA (chromatic aberration Keith). Maybe if I blow them up to 500% I might see it, perhaps! but I have no intention of doing that. The small amount of over sharpening is easily put right, but for me, they are pleasing pictures of a not very often seen bird, with a nice BG, and a good natural environment, and taken in most likely not the perfect lighting. Well done Kaz (y)

2 superb shots.

FYI: CA means Chromatic Aberation and is generally exhibited as purple/blue fringe around edges (usually dark to very bright lines).
Some lenses are worse than others, but generally all will do it to some degree (primes almost not at all ... almost)

Last edited:
2 superb shots.

FYI: CA means Chromatic Aberation and is generally exhibited as purple/blue fringe around edges (usually dark to very bright lines).
Some lenses are worse than others, but generally all will do it to some degree (primes almost not at all ... almost)

oldgit is right its the purple fringing I do get that sometimes taken against the sky thats why I hate sky backgrounds when the light is so bright, I did knock the sharpening down tad in the female but to be honest it didn t make much difference and I don t really think there is much of an halo I have seen worse but I think if I am to be honest there may be a bit of CA going on.

Last edited:
A couple of good captures Karen (y) - I often have trouble with the white neck patch of the male which is easy to blow if you are not careful. Next step is to get both in one frame Karen ;)

If you look very close there is a tiny halo on both pictures indicating perhaps a bit of over sharpening, more noticeable on the female. Perhaps my eyes are failing, but look as hard as I can, I fail to find any CA (chromatic aberration Keith). Maybe if I blow them up to 500% I might see it, perhaps! but I have no intention of doing that. The small amount of over sharpening is easily put right, but for me, they are pleasing pictures of a not very often seen bird, with a nice BG, and a good natural environment, and taken in most likely not the perfect lighting. Well done Kaz (y)

Cheers for the longhand name for CA.....

I have heard if you shin up a column in the Sistine Chapel the paintwork is bloody awful...there again I think you have to view if from the intended distance away.......
Same applies here ...viewed from about 2 foot away the "faults" cannot be seen.
BTW...I saw a good demo of some software which gets rid of the Chromatic Aberration at Focus on Imaging.

Keith (y)

Back