Edit My Images
No
Beautiful birds

crop

Red_male.jpg

this is the full straight out of camera image

Male_red_org.jpg

Last edited:
A great example of why it's better to not crop too much, great looking bird.

Apart from going with a different 'arty' crop showing loads of negative space to the left (not convinced it'll work though) there isn't really much eloase you can do with this I'm afraid.

It's perfectly good as a record shot, and the pose is nice, but the large crop and the underexposed subject have put you on the back foot to begin with.

I'm guessing you're working out a way of getting closer!

Apart from going with a different 'arty' crop showing loads of negative space to the left (not convinced it'll work though) there isn't really much eloase you can do with this I'm afraid.

It's perfectly good as a record shot, and the pose is nice, but the large crop and the underexposed subject have put you on the back foot to begin with.

I'm guessing you're working out a way of getting closer!

Thanks Mike - yes it is part of a series I intend to post from a distance to getting within 5 metres - to illustrate the differences

Shooting the sky is always a semi gamble - I think that I took a sample shot and looked at the histogram but only dialled in +1 EV

I don't think a pano would work - but anyway as you have probably seen I am quite a traditionalist and seldom stray from 3 x 2, or sometimes 1 x 1

he will be around for a few more months so I hope I will get a chance

The Cuckoo is now very obvious but I cannot spot where it is, (any ideas apart from a sound/distance detector), and the same with the Golden Oriole

Because the cuckoo is not tied to any particular nesting site you may find it difficult to tie "him" down as easily as many other species.

How lucky to have golden orioles nearby. I think I may move to France!

Thanks Jerry

we are very lucky out here as quite a few migrating birds also come through but there are hardly any "nature reserves" with hides - so it is all down to you ……. but there are loads of different habitats within a short distance and we have almost our own nature reserve with our two neighbours as land in France is so abundant and comes with any house in the country that you have.

Oriole - we have been out here, (in the summer) and permanently for 25 years - and I have always heard the birds and seen them from a distance, with the odd close up
It was not until last year that I became interested in bird photography, (probably because of the cost of a good lens), so I started to "scout" the bird - almost impossible on foot - they have three favourite "trees" in a kind of triangle - some distance apart and they just play "tag" with me when I get anywhere near.
One interesting thing - they are one of the few birds that attack the local buzzards, if they come near "their" tree - always the two birds flying at the buzzard - I watch then from our front terrace.

The best image, (terrible) I have is the following - miles away - and it took me sometime as they usually hide

or_1.jpg

the close up is

or_2.jpg

maybe this year

Last edited:
Hi Jerry

Here's another one from this morning to show how fortunate we are - in the back garden - they are starting to come in in force

quick hand held shot, from a distance - now the scouting job, they usually don't move very far ………. they are big into "digging" and usually follow me when I mow the grass
overcast and rainy day here, with the odd sunny 5 mins, - typical April weather

H_1.jpg

H_2.jpg

Last edited:
Back