Mamiya 645

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
I've had my Mamiya 645 1000s for a while now, I traded it for a little Contax digital camera but only got round to using it in the last couple of weeks and after my disappointment with the Bronica ETRS I wasn't expecting much but I'm really pleased with it.

I took it down to Kent and shot off a couple of rolls in Whitstable and Dungeness. Another first as I've never used Neopan 400 CN before and I quite like it.

9540414185_7f556eb219.jpg
[/url]
Mamiya 645 Neopan 400CN -07 by Raglansurf, on Flickr[/IMG]

9543241918_6d7033e93f.jpg
[/url]
Mamiya 645 Velvia 100-13 by Raglansurf, on Flickr[/IMG]

But my main reason for posting these is to ask if there's a 645 format camera with a revolving back, does the later Mamiya 645 with interchangeable backs rotate like the RB/RZ 67?

Last edited:
Nice pictures they have turned out really well.

As for revolving back on a 645, I don't think so the nearest I think was a revolving view finder on the Bronica (they have a similar style one for their 6x7 camera).

Think it is a case of holding like a 35mm for portrait shots.

However Bronica did a RF645 in which the viewfinder and film gate was set in portrait orientation, so you would have to turn the camera to use it in landscape format.

I can't think of a Mamiya 645 with a rotating back. I have the 1000S you have and the later 645 Pro polymer body with a detachable back but there's one way and one way only.

Did you use a meter for this film or are these the result of wisdom and experience?

Sorry, no idea about a Mamiya rotating back but I really like both of those images! The monochrome shot is a really engaging composition and the detail and framing of the colour shot is excellent. The lens is clearly good too given the sharpness you have achieved. Very nice pair of 645 images.

Did you use a meter for this film or are these the result of wisdom and experience?

That day I was just using the Pocket Light Meter app from NuWaste Studios, it was free when I got it but you do have to put pup with the adds but for 69p you can get rid of them, I'm just too mean :LOL:

I don't use it all the time just when the light changed dramatically, the rest of the time I just guessed.

They have also been tweaked a little in Lightroom.

Is that colourised or is the caption wrong? :thinking:

It's hand painted with felt tip pen :LOL:

No, it's me forgetting to change the captions when I exported from LR.

Sorry, no idea about a Mamiya rotating back but I really like both of those images! The monochrome shot is a really engaging composition and the detail and framing of the colour shot is excellent. The lens is clearly good too given the sharpness you have achieved. Very nice pair of 645 images.

Thanks Adrian, I was honestly surprised having been so disappointed in the Bronny ETRS. I was originally just planning to run a roll or two through it prior to selling it but I might have to search out a wider lens for it now.

Cracking couple of shots Nick, particularly like the b&w.

I'm afraid i don't know if rotating backs are available either....sorry!

I'm interested to know is this 645 smaller/lighter/easier to use than the ETRS that you couldn't get on with?.....I don't have plans on changing my Bronny but there again you know how easily tempted I am! :D

Eye, sweet pics..

There is no convenient way to shoot a Mam 645 in portrait, it has to be a prism, or WLF and detachable eyeballs, neither of which are a seamless transition.....lol

I like that Velvia shot Nick, lots of good shadow and contrast and a great sky, very nice.

If you are using a tripod and have a prism finder then this is an interesting piece of equipment.
Mamiya-645-Rotating-Tripod-Flip-Bracket
often available on a well known auction site but watch the price!
also it weighs a ton or tonne so is more suited to a studio.

If you are using a tripod and have a prism finder then this is an interesting piece of equipment.
Mamiya-645-Rotating-Tripod-Flip-Bracket
often available on a well known auction site but watch the price!
also it weighs a ton or tonne so is more suited to a studio.

Thanks for the info but it's the WLF set up that I really like, I really can't get on with prism finders on 645's, I had one on my ETRS and hated it. I'd just like to find a rotating back or at the very least a 645 portrait back.

Thanks for the info but it's the WLF set up that I really like, I really can't get on with prism finders on 645's, I had one on my ETRS and hated it. I'd just like to find a rotating back or at the very least a 645 portrait back.

I'm a WLF guy myself, which is why I predominantly shoot 6x6. The one 645 camera I do own is the Fuji GA645 which has a vertical portrait orientation that I really like. It's a very nice camera, although quite a bit different than the Mamiya 645 offerings.

I'm a WLF guy myself, which is why I predominantly shoot 6x6. The one 645 camera I do own is the Fuji GA645 which has a vertical portrait orientation that I really like. It's a very nice camera, although quite a bit different than the Mamiya 645 offerings.

RJ, I've been thinking about a GA645 myself, after seeing SteveLmx5's at the Chester meet. Foolishly I didn't ask for a bit of hands on time then! Presumably it's pretty much a good quality automated camera? (I think I remember seeing a sharpness comparison with a Mamiya 6 that was pretty favourable.)

Do you only use it in portait type situations? How much of a pain is it to turn and shoot landscape? I'm a 35mm shooter currently, so my life has been naturally in landscape format, and mostly that's what I take, thinking that maybe I should keep saving my pennies for a 6!

RJ, I've been thinking about a GA645 myself, after seeing SteveLmx5's at the Chester meet. Foolishly I didn't ask for a bit of hands on time then! Presumably it's pretty much a good quality automated camera? (I think I remember seeing a sharpness comparison with a Mamiya 6 that was pretty favourable.)

Do you only use it in portait type situations? How much of a pain is it to turn and shoot landscape? I'm a 35mm shooter currently, so my life has been naturally in landscape format, and mostly that's what I take, thinking that maybe I should keep saving my pennies for a 6!

Yeah, the GA645 is as close to a point-and-shoot type camera as you can get for medium format. It's certainly much quicker to shoot with than my SQ-A or Autocord.

It's great for travel as it's light, takes great photos, can be shot handheld down to 1/15s (if you're steady), and, even though the body is quite big, the overall system is quite compact, because the lens retracts fully into the body.

It has an aperture priority mode, but I don't use it much, as I prefer to use my handheld incident meter.

The inbuilt flash is handy as well, as is the exposure data printing on the edge of the film.

The camera is not without its quirks though: The strap lugs are only on the left side of the camera, the electronics can be finicky (I suggest buying from a dealer with a warranty, because of this possibility), there's no depth of field preview (not a problem if you're already accustomed to rangefinders), and requires a different grip than most similar cameras (the autofocus sensors are just left of the lens, not TTL).

Personally, I really like the portrait viewfinder and find it's a nice change of pace. The GA645i and the GA645zi both have a second shutter button for holding it in landscape format, I think, but I don't find this necessary.

Remember that it's a 3:4 frame rather than the 2:3 of 35mm, so its photos aren't quite as rectangular (I think this is a good thing), which I think this suits the vertical orientation better.

It couldn't be the only camera I owned, but it's amazing as a travel camera or second option.

Back