Critique Mandarin Duck, Negative Space

It is just a matter of trying different crops Richard and seeing what they look like - making sure that the bg does not dominate too much - the fore ground OOF area is obviously something to reduce and to see what you think ....... but I can see what you are trying to achieve

It is a bit too much for me ..... and on a technical point there are vertical lines in the fg [showing your cloning, (??)]

It is just a matter of trying different crops Richard and seeing what they look like - making sure that the bg does not dominate too much - the fore ground OOF area is obviously something to reduce and to see what you think ....... but I can see what you are trying to achieve

It is a bit too much for me ..... and on a technical point there are vertical lines in the fg [showing your cloning, (??)]

Cheers, and well spotted, i need to work on my cloning skills

I will have a look tonight and maybe try out a few different crops

I like it, but I do enjoy a good photo with shallow DOF. You have got the duck beautifully sharp and I don't find the foreground to much. I can however see that a crop would probably work as well.

I like it, but I do enjoy a good photo with shallow DOF. You have got the duck beautifully sharp and I don't find the foreground to much. I can however see that a crop would probably work as well.

Cheers Steve, i was fortunate enough to be able to get below the level of the water as this is a man made pond, which helps massively enhance the DoF

I don't like the amount of oof foreground and there is the appearance of it sloping slightly to the right but otherwise it works. :)

Yes Richard, it isn't giving the appearance of sloping now :)

the last image works for me and very nice shot, right hand side just in the oof area is a black blob that is a tad distracting which I think I would try and remove but would still be happy if it were mine

the last image works for me and very nice shot, right hand side just in the oof area is a black blob that is a tad distracting which I think I would try and remove but would still be happy if it were mine

Cheers, looking at them all now, i do feel that last one is just about the right balance of subject and OOF area, so thanks everyone for taking the time to comment

Cheers, looking at them all now, i do feel that last one is just about the right balance of subject and OOF area, so thanks everyone for taking the time to comment

Morning Richard, but you need to remove the black "blob" in the bottom right quarter

I like the final one except for the black blob and the fact that it looks very slightly too dark to me. Anybody else think that?

it looks very slightly too dark to me. Anybody else think that?
Looks more backlit to me, hence the darker appearance of the body away from the light :)

I will see if i can lift the shadows a touch more (and remove the blob), it was still early and the sun hadn't ridden above the tree line, so he was getting diffused light from around the 2 to 3 o'clock position if i remember correctly

I have already done a fair bit of shadow lifting to get to where it is now, so i will see if i can raise it any more without it looking unnatural

Still not a mega fan of the fg Richard - but it is a beautiful bird and image

constant edits will reduce the IQ if you are not careful - plus I have edited the low res on here

I'd start again from the very beginning if I were you - incorporating the changes on here, but simplfy them just a few logical processing steps

These birds do look "un-natural" - should not be here really!!!

Cheers

EDIT
RPS.jpg

ORIGINAL

RPS_org.jpg

Last edited:
Cheers Bill, i will have another play tonight and see if i can make a few improvements

Cheers Bill, i will have another play tonight and see if i can make a few improvements

Rich

what I did was quick

1). lighten the fg - one method would be to use a graduated filter

2). Remove the blob - clone

3). Reduce the dark noise in the bg - select and reduce noise

4). lift shadows in bird - select bird and lighten

All in PS, but other apps will have similar functions

Last edited:
Right then, here goes, i have applied some noise reduction to the bg and fg, also lightened the fg a touch, removed the "blob" and lifted the shadows a touch, also increased contrast as it was looking a little flat with the shadows lifted

So here goes, what are everyone's thoughts

Mandarin Duck
by Richard Smith, on Flickr

Right then, here goes, i have applied some noise reduction to the bg and fg, also lightened the fg a touch, removed the "blob" and lifted the shadows a touch, also increased contrast as it was looking a little flat with the shadows lifted

So here goes, what are everyone's thoughts

Mandarin Duck
by Richard Smith, on Flickr

I like it, you don't want the colours of the duck too diluted as it makes it look unnatural. :)

now if it were mine after all that mucking about ..................................put it on my wall :)

now if it were mine after all that mucking about ..................................put it on my wall :)

Cheers, my other half has already marked out a spot on the wall where she wants to hang it ;)

Reactions: RKC
Back