weekly Stevesc's 52 in 2016. Week 35 "Black and White" added

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Well here goes, my first attempt at a 52 project. Looking forward to getting started and trying to keep up.

I will try and limit myself to 4 jokers in the year, but may change my mind later once I see how I'm getting on (when I'm getting hopelessly behind!)

Week 0 - Old
Week 1 - Metal
Week 2 - Captive
Week 3 - Miniature
Week 4 - Happy
Week 5 - Abandoned
Week 6 - Camouflage
Week 7 - Dangerous
Week 8 - Topical
Week 9 - The Living World
Week 10 - Spiky (not done)
Week 11 - Artificial (not done)
Week 12 - Personal (not done)
Week 13 - Effort
Week 14 - Technology
Week 15 - Horizontal
Week 16 - Vast
Week 17 - Rough
Week 18 - Covered (not done)
Week 19 - Colourful (not done)
Week 20 - Enter/Entrance (not done)
Week 21 - Size (not done)
Week 22 - Forgotten (not done)
Week 23 - Stone
Week 24 - Simple (not done)
Week 25 - Sign (not done)
Week 26 - Flora (not done)
Week 27 - Active (not done)
Week 28 - Life (not done)
Week 29 - Hidden (not done)
Week 30 - Lone(ly)
Week 31 - Fauna (not done)
Week 32 - Static (not done)
Week 33 - Game
Week 34 - Serene
Week 35 - Black and White

Last edited:
Just noticed that the theme has already been added for week 1 but better slightly late than never, here is mine for week 0 (Old).

Old (&New) by Steve, on Flickr

Our youngest had a difficult night and fell asleep on the sofa wrapped in a blanket that belonged to her great grandmother. It dates from the 60's and has been passed down to us and is still used regularly.

Ah, what a peaceful photo! I quite liked it but some members of the household loved it...

[url=https://flic.kr/p/C9Fihk][/URL]
(I really hope posting pictures in someone else's thread isn't a TP faux pas!)

Ah, what a peaceful photo! I quite liked it but some members of the household loved it...

(I really hope posting pictures in someone else's thread isn't a TP faux pas!)

Thanks, it was peaceful by that stage but she had definitely been making her share of noise for the couple of hours before, even with kitty's help.

Your photo made me smile, not sure about TP's policy but it's not a problem for me.

Happy new year ☺

Awww... that is very sweet. The tight framing adds to the impression she's snugly cocooned in the old blanket.

Shoehorn spotters will say the pic doesn't say old to the viewer (without the blurb) but this is the beauty of the challenge for me - creating images that are personal to you and may not otherwise have been considered for capture

PS. Nickbees PIC made me smile too :)

Last edited:
Great shot Steve, that one is a keeper for sure :) Get it printed and on your mantelpiece.
I agree with Jason, the framing is just about perfect for the effect you wanted in the shot, and there is nothing wrong with a back story to explain the relevance (just look through some of the previous year's threads for alternative takes on the themes :) )

Hi Steve. That's a picture of sweet innocence - like the story behind the blanket. Not an obvious fit for the theme but what the heck. :clap:

Kids at their best :D
As already said it wasn't obvious from the image, nice start (y)

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Agree that the connection to the theme is not obvious, sure I will have a few more like this before the year is out. ☺

I'm away at the moment with not much access to the internet, I'll catch up and comment on other's projects once I'm back on my PC at the weekend.

Week 1 - Theme "Metal"

Park life by Steve, on Flickr

A small section of a sculpture in Walsall arboretum, spotted during a new years day walk with the family. The poem in full is:

A park is
The kick of a ball,
a red brick wall,
a first kiss,
a moonlit whizz,
Saturday mornings
bold and bright,
frosty winters huddled tight.
Springs come and autumns go,
children play and children grow,
the circle of life in plant and soil
full of hope and full of toil,
there for us through thick and thin,
when we lose or if we win.
We may change but it will stay,
In darkest night and brightest day,
always here, always giving,
a park is for LIFE
so let’s start living

by Peadar o'donoghue

You can see a picture of the full sculpture here.

Beautiful poetry and sentiment - but for the commentary, it would have passed me by unappreciated. Lovely choice to kick off your TP52 challenge - our park. :clap:

Hiya Steve, really like this idea, great thinking. The texture and the colouring are very nice and suit the subject.My only little nitpick is that i would slightly crop the top to remove the dark bits.

Good lucking completing your 52

Well seen and nicely captured, I like the flow of the writing across the photo.

Beautiful poetry and sentiment - but for the commentary, it would have passed me by unappreciated. Lovely choice to kick off your TP52 challenge - our park. :clap:

Hiya Steve, really like this idea, great thinking. The texture and the colouring are very nice and suit the subject.My only little nitpick is that i would slightly crop the top to remove the dark bits.

Good lucking completing your 52

I cropped it like this intentionally as I liked having an end of the sculpture somewhere in the picture but having looked again I'm not quite so sure, maybe your right, will have to have another go when I get time.

What a great poem - thanks for sharing - I love the shape and texture of the whole sculpture. Nice use of diagonal lines in your shot, too.

Love it Steve - well spotted and captured and a great back story to boot - cheers :)

Well seen and nicely captured, I like the flow of the writing across the photo.

Hi there ....love the choice of subject, really nicely done, thank you for the link, that's a beautifully crafted sculpture and sentiment.

I love the composition on this not quite everything is there, just enough to tease you in.

Hi Steve, great capture love the DOF.

Thanks everyone, appreciate you taking the time to comment.

If I had not been doing this 52 I may well have gone straight past this sculpture and not spent the time looking at it, it was only because I noticed it was metal and though it might work that I stopped and let the family walk on while I got a few shots and read it properly. This was one of the reasons I started the 52 this year, to try and make myself notice things that I might not otherwise have done.

A nice start Steve, all the better for the poem and link (y)

If I had not been doing this 52 I may well have gone straight past this sculpture and not spent the time looking at it, it was only because I noticed it was metal and though it might work that I stopped and let the family walk on while I got a few shots and read it properly. This was one of the reasons I started the 52 this year, to try and make myself notice things that I might not otherwise have done.
It's one of hte reasons I decided to do the 52 last year, as well as improving my photography, I felt that it would make me more aware of my surroundings.
it certainly has, and it has gotten me out and about where otherwise I would be slobbing around at home.

The shot certainly makes the sculpture out to be an interesting thing. (y)

You've used DOF and lines to create a really interesting composition for what could have very easily been a flat picture. Well done!

Also like that you've shared the full poem and link - very thoughtful.
A nice start Steve, all the better for the poem and link (y)

Thanks for your comments, I really enjoyed the poem so wanted to share that as well as the picture, pleased so many of you have enjoyed it as well. I would have taken an overall photo to include but ran out of time as the family disappeared into the distance so was pleased that I found one on the Arboretum facebook page that I could link to.

It's one of hte reasons I decided to do the 52 last year, as well as improving my photography, I felt that it would make me more aware of my surroundings.
it certainly has, and it has gotten me out and about where otherwise I would be slobbing around at home.

The shot certainly makes the sculpture out to be an interesting thing. (y)

Thanks, hope it keeps working (y)

Hi, like it. Nice and close, selective focus. I'd be tempted to take some of the top, to removed the background and the lower section to remove the horizontal section.

Good start.

Cheers.

Hi, like it. Nice and close, selective focus. I'd be tempted to take some of the top, to removed the background and the lower section to remove the horizontal section.

Good start.

Cheers.

Thanks for the feedback, I left the top and bottom horizontal sections to try and frame the composition a bit, but think it would have worked with a closer crop as well.

Liking your chosen point of view and composition, being in nice and close with that narrow DoF works really well, the metallic comes over very well, good spot (y)
Hi. I like both of your images. Both very natural and thanks for the poem too.
Nice words to acompany pic, like the way you have kept the top wavy border nice overall pic:)

Thanks for taking the time to comment, appreciate it. :)

Hi, really like that one glad you put the whole poem in but works really well as it is nicely spotted

Welcome Steve

Nice bit of poetry, but even without knowing or understanding what it says ... I like it. Nice texture, nice diagonals. :)

Week 2 - Captive.

Captivated my heart by Steve, on Flickr

Simple concept for me was that my kids have captivated my heart, tried a few things but ended up with this. Not totally happy with the finished article, the background and the sleeve are both small irritations but my helper (my 5 year old) was just about out of patience. On the plus side, it gave me some creative time with her which was a lot of fun.

Would also be interested in your thoughts on the selective colour, I know it's not in everyone's taste. It's the first time I have used it and thought it helped focus the theme for this shot.

Any C & C are welcome as I am doing this project to learn as well as for fun.

I really like this image, the selective colour works really well towards the overall effect, that their small hands also works well. It could easily be a arty type greeting card and fits the theme in a really creative way :clap:

Gorgeous shot - love the concept and how cool that you got to involve your little person. Selective colouring works really well with this and I love the shallow dof

Great stuff

Spooks

Steve, really like this, simple but so effective, I would send it off to the cards companies for their designs

Back