Manfrotto 055XDB Advice Please

Name
Joan Williamson
Edit My Images
Yes
hi, can anyone advise on the suitability of this Tripod for a enthusiastic amateur's first tripod. I plan to take it on trips to Wales for landscape shots and general use. I've been quoted £119 (with the quick release plate) but have seen it online much cheaper. My current camera is an EOS 300D with the standard kit lens 18-55, but I do plan to purchase longer lens which may affect the tripod's suitability ?

Any advice would be appreciated, I'm happy to pay more if it's not a good option for me. I've been reading about tripods for weeks now and really just need to buy one now !!

Cheers
Joan

I have the 055XProB - it's heavy, but not too heavy. It's pretty stable, and tall enough for me at 6ft tall.

I would recommend getting spiked feet for it though - the rubber cups are ok, but can slip on rocks or wet concrete.

Have a look at www.morrisphoto.co.uk they normally have some pretty keen prices, or take a peek at www.camerapricebuster.co.uk

Hope this helps

I'd go for the Pro if you can, the ability to move the centre column to horizontal is a real plus. If the can't stretch to a 55 Pro, look at the 190 Pro intead.

I'd go for the Pro if you can, the ability to move the centre column to horizontal is a real plus. If the can't stretch to a 55 Pro, look at the 190 Pro intead.

I actually find the Pro quite restrictive with a panning head, as it's difficult to get it low to the ground without getting some of the tripod in shot...

If that makes sense :thinking:

I actually find the Pro quite restrictive with a panning head, as it's difficult to get it low to the ground without getting some of the tripod in shot...

If that makes sense :thinking:

Have you tried it with an optional short column? Maybe that would make things easier for you?

Have you tried it with an optional short column? Maybe that would make things easier for you?

I havent - I need to look at getting one, the non pro models have a really stubby short column at the base but this would not be long enough to go through the unit on top of the column, so I'd need one probably about 5"-6" long.

I did speak to Bogen about it and they said either turn the column upside down, or position the column horizontally, but with a panning head on it you can't get the column out of the shot...

My local shop is doing the 055XDB with an 804RC2 head and QR plate for £119. I reckon this is a pretty good price and haven't seen it cheaper anywhere else. Are you sure you've been comparing it against tripod and head prices and not just the tripod?

My local shop is doing the 055XDB with an 804RC2 head and QR plate for £119. I reckon this is a pretty good price and haven't seen it cheaper anywhere else. Are you sure you've been comparing it against tripod and head prices and not just the tripod?

I think you're right I may have been comparing just the legs !!! The deal you mention is the one on offer at a shop I went to at the weekend and he almost convinced me. It was then I started to read about the PRO and thought perhaps I should go for that instead, ho hum, decisions decisions :)

The only difference I can see with the pro is the horizontal column thing. Not something I'll ever use and it would probably pull the tripod over with my lump of a camera on the end of it.

I have the 055XDB with an 804RC2 and its good piece of kit. I live in wales and have carried it around all sorts of places, it can get heavy sometimes but it a solid tripod and well worth the money.

I considered the exact model for similiar purposes, in the end after reading all the recent recommendations I bought the Redsnapper offering instead... very impressed with its stability & build quality

simon

I've finally decided on the Manfrotto 190XPROB with 804RC2 and have just ordered them from Morris Photographic along with lots of other bits n pieces, I can't wait for it all to arrive :) Joan

Back