Manfrotto Question.

Name
Colin
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi.
Would anyone care to opine as to the following please?

Q.
What is the intrinsic difference between the 190 and 055 series Manfrotto tripods? If you discount the difference between the Ally and Carbon options which are available in both ranges, and the number of leg sections, is it simply a matter of bulk - in the sense that the tubes are heavier and perhaps the maximum height is taller.
I'm trying to establish whether the 055 series are designed for heavier cameras and longer telephoto lenses.

Finally, is it possible to attach a 460MG head to 055 legs as the brochure lists the 460MG head as an option for the 190 but not the 055.

Thanks in advance.

Can't help you out with the head question but the 055 is definately designed for heavier camera setups than the 190 which is why I was recommended an 055 for my medium format setup. Nice but of kit too but wish I'd purchased a geared head instead of the pan & tilt head.

You can attach any head to any set of legs, both the 190 and the 055 have the dual 3/8" and 1/4" threads...

It is best to try it out in the shop before you buy. One of their Carbon fibre tripods was too weak for 40D + 100mm so I had to go for 190xprob aluminium one. It is fine with heavier glass like 24-70mm and 580EX even with centre column lifted by about 10cm. 055 would be way too heavy
I wish I could have the geared head though...

FYI, I use 055 legs and the 460MG head and they're a great combo. I far prefer the 460MG to any other ball-head type and find it offers superior stability for landscape work, especially when using ND or IR filters. The 055 legs are far from the lightest though, so if you're only using a small camera/lens set up the 190's might be a better bet and save you some backstrain in the long run.

Hi.

Q.
What is the intrinsic difference between the 190 and 055 series Manfrotto tripods? .

Don't know if this is any help. It was (I think) originally posted somewhere in Flickr.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~190~~~~~~~~055
Max height center column down ........ 48"............. 55.9"
Max height center column up............. 57.5" .........70.28"
Closed length .......................................22.4".......... 25.79"
Weight ...................................................4 lbs........... 5.28 lbs
Max Load ..............................................11 lbs .........15.4 lbs

Keep in mind the added height from the head and your camera.

Are you saying cf is weaker than aluminium?

Just to clarify the whole setup with my cam felt very unstable and wobbly. Perhaps it was meant for 400D with lighter lens? I am not saying it would break easily. I can't remember the exact model number.

O.K. Chaps, I'm sold on the 055 carbon legs. Just snapped a set up on Amazon for a wunner. The 190XProB legs are gonna turn up in classifieds soon....

Back