Manual- My first try!

Name
Renee
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok, I finally took the plunge and took all my pics today in manual mode. This is my first time out and about doing it. I ended up taking 3-5 pics of everything using different settings but overall I am very pleased. I would love for you guys to tell me what you felt I could do better or what really sticks out as well done (hopefully there are some).

Thanks in advance.
Renee

B_Wcockeral-resized.jpg

gate-resized.jpg

farmscene-resized.jpg

sphynx-resized.jpg

I love the first two, the first one in fact would have been ideal for the competition this month but you can't submit it now as it won't be anonymous. I love the way most of the picture is in black and white and its been very well composed.

You certainly did better than me when I took my camera out on manual for the first time, excellent work :)

In the third picture I'd be tempted to crop out the hutch on the left or whatever it is on the left hand side of the picture just to see how it looks.

The last picture looks a little soft to me, the face seems to be too dark and could possibly do with a llttle lightning.

Thanks. I think I may have cropped to much out of the last pic which made it lose a bit of quality. Back to the drawing board!

As for the B&W competion I thought about using it but I kinda already have an idea of a shot I want to do so I thought I'd wait. Plus since it is a B&W only I figured I'd have to lose the red which I think really makes the picture.

Renee

Its not as black and white as that (hehe I made a funny)

The topic isn't actually a black and white picture - its just "black and white" - It could be a photo of a zebra, or a picture of a monkey with black and white fur, a mixed race couple sharing a kiss.

Everything is open to interpretation :)

Ahh well I wish I could delete the pic then and enter it but it is too late now. Oh well. I guess I am just too much a literal thinker.
Renee

Not a lot wrong with the exposure there so well done! A tad over-saturated perhaps, I don't think the comb and wattles on that cock are quite that red? ;)

Ok you're right I may have over saturated. Here it is with all other colours desaturated and red left at 0 (this is on lightroom)

lessred-resized.jpg

There's a good guide here on how to determine the correct exposure.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/A16/

I good method while you are learning is to bracket the shots, by about 1/3 to 1/2 a stop intervals. I'd do that for a couple a week or a month, and you will soon see where you went wrong and where you nailed it. You then want to aim for doing it in one shot, and i'd then test yourself by only doing it in one shot for the same period of time, remember what you learnt in the previous month

I'd agree with the others, nice pic's and for a first go at manual well done. But (theres always one isn't there), is you monitor colour calibrated, only your shots look a bit over saturated, colour is a bit too heavy. The other thing is, #2 needs leveling up, unless the gate pillars really do lean over like that :)

I think the probem is that I have a love for the colour saturation buttons! As for shot two I'm afraid they really do lean! I tried straightening them but then everything else looks quite odd. So we are left with leaning pillars.

Back