Mark on all photos

Name
Jackie
Edit My Images
No
Hi, everyone, I've not been on here in quite some time, but I was wanting some advice.
I've just done some still life photography today and noticed there is a very visible long line mark on all the photos, from top to bottom on the right half of the photo. I tried different lenses, just to see if it's the lens on on the camera. Unfortunately, it is on other lenses as well. When looking through the photos, it's very noticeable and very obvious!!
I have, very carefully, cleaned all visible areas on the camera body, but to no effect.
IMG_7947.JPG
I doesn't look like a hair, so what could it be? Could water have gotten into the body? More importantly, what can I do about it? If it's a professional cleaning job, how much do these things cost? :wideyed: (I have a DSLR Canon 600D).
Thanks in advance.

Just to add to my above post, if it's going to cost a lot to get it cleaned, I've just noticed that the 600D bodies have gone down in price, so I would possibly just buy a new one. But it would be good if anyone had an ideas. Thanks.

Last edited:
You can buy the stuff needed to clean a sensor for peanuts if that's whats needed, no need to panic ;) It looks like a hair possibly try giving it a good blow out with a rocket blower.

You can buy the stuff needed to clean a sensor for peanuts if that's whats needed, no need to panic ;) It looks like a hair possibly try giving it a good blow out with a rocket blower.
Could be a mark (or a tiny hair) on the sensor.
It is possible to do it yourself as long as you're gentle or try a rocket blower first to see if i shifts it.

Thanks.
I've tried wiping it with one of those moist lens cleaning wipe things, but it's still there, and didn't even move position, and I thought wiping it would move it, that's why I thought it might be a scratch. I think I might have one of those blowy things somewhere......I hope.
I'll get back to you.

To me that does look very much like a hair on the sensor, all be it not visible when you look at the sensor (Think how obvious some Dust Bunnies are, and yet when you look at the sensor they can't be seen.)
Get a rocket blower, set the camera to "Sensor Clean" mode to expose the sensor and give it a good blast, taking care not to touch the sensor and holding the camera so that whatever is dislodged falls out.

To me that does look very much like a hair on the sensor, all be it not visible when you look at the sensor (Think how obvious some Dust Bunnies are, and yet when you look at the sensor they can't be seen.)
Get a rocket blower, set the camera to "Sensor Clean" mode to expose the sensor and give it a good blast, taking care not to touch the sensor and holding the camera so that whatever is dislodged falls out.

Thanks, I do have a rocket blower.......somewhere, but I can't for the life of me find it. I've seen a few vids on youtube which show how to do it properly.

Thanks everyone. :)

Last edited:
It worked! :banana: I've never cleaned the inside sensor before, but I didn't realise I could get access without a screwdriver and balls of steel. I thought the camera did it.

I now have the embarrassment of thinking that I should have known this a couple of years back, when I first got the camera. *scuttles off in embarrassment*

There is a very excellent tutorial on youtube on how to do it.

Thank you all!

With good light into the camera (in cleaning mode) you should be able to see a hair or a crack - which can't be ruled out.
Things can get very stuck down and need more than one swab to clean.
Cleaning your own sensor is relatively simple for most of us and could need doing at least 2 or 3 times a year - so just too much hassle taking it in.

I suspect you'll be able to physically see what's causing the problem just by removing the lens and looking at the sensor. Operating the sensor clean function of your camera a few times with the lens off and the camera pointing downwards might shift it.

Thank you, it worked! :banana: I thought it would be far more of a faff, but it wasn't! :D

What worked? o_O

What worked? o_O

Opps. Sorry, I got over-excited that my camera didn't need a big job! :hungover::LOL:

I watched a youtube video on how to clean the sensor, I used one of those lens wipes and cleaned it. I can't find my blower thing, but I shall get one.

Opps. Sorry, I got over-excited that my camera didn't need a big job! :hungover::LOL:

I watched a youtube video on how to clean the sensor, I used one of those lens wipes and cleaned it. I can't find my blower thing, but I shall get one.
If cleaning the sensor I first use a blower then a lenspen sensoklear if the blower doesn't shift it. I have the stuff to do a wet clean (visible dust swabs) but I've never needed to use them.

By lens wipe do you mean something like a disposable lens wipe like the zeiss ones? I wouldn't recommend using one as its not really designed for sensor cleaning.

This is the sensoklear pen I use:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenspen-Se...76256&sr=8-1&keywords=lenspen+sensor+cleaning

Don't use lens wipes! :eek:

You might get away with it once or twice, but use a proper sensor cleaning kit next time.

Don't use lens wipes! :eek:

You might get away with it once or twice, but use a proper sensor cleaning kit next time.

Thanks, yes, I agree. I don't generally use them, but my lens cleaning kit has disappeared (am ordering another), just wanted to see if it would work first. :)

Thanks, yes, I agree. I don't generally use them, but my lens cleaning kit has disappeared (am ordering another), just wanted to see if it would work first. :)
Lens, Sensor.. different things, very different things. We're being very specific in our replies, but to be honest I have no idea which you're talking about when you mention either.

Nothing wrong with lens wipes for cleaning lenses, but you appeared to be talking about cleaning the sensor. I have no ideas at all what you've actually done. But if it's resulted in the hair going away and the camera's working perfectly then I guess everything's OK.

Never use lens wipes or lens cleaning fluid on a sensor, you can cause serious damage! They're different solutions for a reason

This is what can happen when you use lens cleaner / wipes on a sensor (or more accurately, the filter sitting atop it);

https://www.flickr.com/groups/d80/discuss/72157623709965364/?search=ruin+camera

If yours is still working ok you've been very lucky!

Last edited:
It worked! :banana: I've never cleaned the inside sensor before, but I didn't realise I could get access without a screwdriver and balls of steel. I thought the camera did it.

I now have the embarrassment of thinking that I should have known this a couple of years back, when I first got the camera. *scuttles off in embarrassment*

There is a very excellent tutorial on youtube on how to do it.

Thank you all!

Any chance you could link to the video, so that others can benefit in future?

Thanks in advance

Sorry for the delay in replying, I'm on nights.

Never use lens wipes or lens cleaning fluid on a sensor, you can cause serious damage! They're different solutions for a reason

This is what can happen when you use lens cleaner / wipes on a sensor (or more accurately, the filter sitting atop it);

https://www.flickr.com/groups/d80/discuss/72157623709965364/?search=ruin+camera

If yours is still working ok you've been very lucky!

Thanks for the link, that IS scary! The camera is fine (luckily).

Almost certainly the mirror.

Lens, Sensor.. different things, very different things. We're being very specific in our replies, but to be honest I have no idea which you're talking about when you mention either.

Nothing wrong with lens wipes for cleaning lenses, but you appeared to be talking about cleaning the sensor. I have no ideas at all what you've actually done. But if it's resulted in the hair going away and the camera's working perfectly then I guess everything's OK.

Sorry, I can understand the confusion, I've not made myself very clear, but I was kind of confused myself. (As you say, lens cleaning wipes are for just that!)

I'll try and explain a bit better.

This is what I did.

So, I didn't know if this was the sensor or the mirror? I just did what the video said, which says it's the sensor. I have bought those wipes she suggests. I know now I should have waited for the sensor cleaning kit.. :hungover:
Won't be doing THAT again, it's not worth the risk.
I hope you understand what I mean now. :)

Last edited:
Sensor clean is definitely in order - I just tend to use one of the blower kind of machines that seems to do the job, maybe this will need the full Monty.

Back