Critique Marmite

Name
Stu
Edit My Images
Yes
Guys would you be so kind as to give honest thoughts here.likes really wont help me much here !!

.I was messing about in PP with this image made at the weekend.......shame really we got out in campy van sat night threw me cup of coffee away to dive on the floor an grab this and a whole lot more, did a recce of where to set up early doors about to go to bed and sadly Shaz got very ill, she is fine by the way one of those things . (y) (y) But I took her home so the dawn shoot I longed for didn't happen

Back to frame so this is one of me favs of the hare whom came running up to me and lead to coffee going saff

.but the post is a bit OOTB

thoughts please love hate , is cool

Part of me so so wants to desparately be faithful to what I saw part of me is below

1/640 f8 ISO 1600 800mm no crop ( 400 f4 do ii with ext 2X iii)

_S2I5746 BAIP by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

Ta muchly for reading

stu

Stu first off, its an excellent shot in terms of getting it so well in the frame and not dealing with the dreaded crop tons of detail and mega lighting.

I see your intentions to keep them strong golden highlights down, personally not sure what body you used and how much DR you got to play with but if you can bring the harsh shadows back to the right of the eye and lower body to explore a clear view off the entire subject I think your be onto a mega winner here.

Hope this helps,

Joe

I like the original and also Gav's edit. I've not seen one of these close up so I don't know if the colours are natural or a little over saturated but other than that I really like the picture.

Well done :D

I like it, all I would change is the crop to a 5x4

I like it, all I would change is the crop to a 5x4
Thank you what's ya name buddy?

Ya know, I so so often crop portraits down from 2;3 to 4;5 but here is one of the few occassions I wouldn't...............basically as this is full frame at the top I',ve got no where to go and at the base I have to loose hare. Mate I get where your coming from ( I think I do anyways :D) :crop in a bit tighter to concentrate on the head and shoulders, but my miindset .'erm ethos......... lmao aspiration ;) is to go frame that shot rather than crop to get there

cheers for the thoughts(y)
I like the original and also Gav's edit. I've not seen one of these close up so I don't know if the colours are natural or a little over saturated but other than that I really like the picture.

Well done :D
Alan I'd say the colours are over saturated and the whole shebang is not completely natural whole thing is down to PP...................I might share a more normal take well normal PP for me mate so you can compare if tonight isn't too hectic

Bud the light is still a bit harsh but lit the hare and gave me a darkish BKG.beyond that tis me taking liberties with my artistic licence

Stu first off, its an excellent shot in terms of getting it so well in the frame and not dealing with the dreaded crop tons of detail and mega lighting.

I see your intentions to keep them strong golden highlights down, personally not sure what body you used and how much DR you got to play with but if you can bring the harsh shadows back to the right of the eye and lower body to explore a clear view off the entire subject I think your be onto a mega winner here.

Hope this helps,

Joe
Does help Joe, bless ya for the in depth reply. and kind words feel a bit of a charleton but did try to be honest with post being a bit OOTB................... 1DXii . Joe there's loads more in the back of camera image than after my PP and also a hell of alot I can recover from the DXii RAW files.......................@Gav think that's what you have picked up on buddy with the edit.

Joe from the first time I saw the back of camera frame I wanted the BKG darker.whist playing I basically messed with the midtones in levels as my last step in photoshop and this came back. I've burnt the white patch on the nose it's very hot.run the frame through topaz denoise ran a curves level and another curves level for colour.and then the levels mentioned already

Hmm getting it right in frame without crop is a huge thing to me Joe..........much failure sure especially up close with hares, but a huge thing.

Gav many thanks for the edit and your time bro...... thank you !! ..probably yes to the head but I kinda like some brighter stuff in the BKG I think it's how I would paint it Gav.does that make sense.remember my background is with a brush.always beasties and birdz but painting with brushes and pencils not camera....camera simply gives my more time in the field bumbling about with 'em;) . Well that's wot's meant to be happeniing:(

Alan I'd say the colours are over saturated and the whole shebang is not completely natural whole thing is down to PP...................I might share a more normal take well normal PP for me mate so you can compare if tonight isn't too hectic

Bud the light is still a bit harsh but lit the hare and gave me a darkish BKG.beyond that tis me taking liberties with my artistic licence

As we are all entitled to do.

It's a great picture :D

I like it Stu. The lighting is dramatic and interesting, the harsh shadows work well for once. Either yours or Gavs edits can work well, all personal preference. What I do like with Gavs is the removal of the foliage in the black area.

Good head angle and details, nice work

Mike

Hate marmite but like this very much..p. Moody, atmospheric and very different. Thanks for sharing Stu

As we are all entitled to do.

It's a great picture :D
Bless ya Alan thank you.

Mate we can do so much in PP. part of me needs to explore, the mad side of me.......... but I'd loath meself if I wasn't honest about it all Alan. Folks fake stuff in Wildlife image making, so it worries me in some ways presenting an image like this.......... maybe better put "in this way".

Hard to put in words what is going on in my head sometimes ......

I like it Stu. The lighting is dramatic and interesting, the harsh shadows work well for once. Either yours or Gavs edits can work well, all personal preference. What I do like with Gavs is the removal of the foliage in the black area.

Good head angle and details, nice work

Mike
Cheers for this Mike.I wondered what you would make of it really appeciate you stopping by pal, thank you.so much .......................I'm very uneasy about this Mike, it just floats my boat tis all, but yup uneasy is a good word

Hate marmite but like this very much..p. Moody, atmospheric and very different. Thanks for sharing Stu
Ha ha I love the stuff John.funny as:LOL:

John I adore this image making lark me birdz and beasties mean so much to me especially these blummin hares........but often times I just feel I'm doing the same ol same ol and should be questing for something different.

That said tis me an' I don't really know what that different is:headbang:

Tis a quest this lark init?;)

I really like it, there's lots of lovely sharp detail without it being overwhelming and the moody exposure along with the Hare's alertness gives the feeling of impending danger.

For me the tight framing complements this by creating what may be described as an almost claustrophobic effect and drawing my focus right onto the Hare and what it must be feeling; perhaps not knowing where the danger is going to come from.

I really like it, there's lots of lovely sharp detail without it being overwhelming and the moody exposure along with the Hare's alertness gives the feeling of impending danger.

For me the tight framing complements this by creating what may be described as an almost claustrophobic effect and drawing my focus right onto the Hare and what it must be feeling; perhaps not knowing where the danger is going to come from.
Thank you Graham. kind and thoughtful words

tis funny folks often say there is a loss of IQ with the 2X extender.and sure , at tmes in lower light, I find it hunts a bit for focus.but with plenty of light and paired to the DOii is can produce some really sharp frames...........ha ha and often with a hare also some very tight framing. Inciidentally when hares are close I find them so so hard to frame well, one of my better efforts above but for sure I struggle when framing this tight . Always considered framing to an art form in tight and never feel mastery of this part of image makiing.

Funny hares go from landscape to portrait in a jiffy FP's going all ways camera flips all ways and me 3steps behind it all:runaway::LOL:

Back