Massive aurora alert for tonight!

As above - its at storm level now!
I heard about this on the radio news.....

A significant CME has happened and the effects will be seen tonight with Northern Lights across the UK...... given a clear sky.

The 'expert' being interviewed mentioned that the lights may be fleeting & intermittent so a long exposure should/would reveal the "wonder".

Thank you so much Jeremy - visible here on North Kent coast - wonderful.

Actually visible in front of our house!
So much for driving miles lol
Missus is posting pics from the back garden!

incredible! The first time I've seen this....just wow!

Nothing visible yet(?) we have a good view northwards form an upstairs window NB Guildford area.

Good sightings here in Morecambe looking across the bay about 12:30am.

i-z8KGd7H-X2.jpg

It looks like haze down here but I can really see the colours on a long exposure picture.
Sadly it seems we have a marked overcast....no stars visible at all across the sky :(

Got called away from my shooting early on due to a family emergency.... Not sure whether to try again tonight as apparently there is a chance earlier in the evening.

This was Burnham Overy Staithe, Norfolk at about 1:30am last night.
View attachment 422627
Very nice indeed!
I didn't go Norfolk coast way as the forecast showed a lot of cloud cover :(

Went west towards Peterborough. Still a very good sightings there, just that would have loved a reflection shot like yours :D

Mom and daughter both messaged me to check for Northern Lights. I couldn't see anything, but my brother told me to take a picture anyway. It honestly looked nothing like this to the naked eye but is stunning on camera.

Two shots from the most boring suburban street in north London!

2405_Aurora_046-Pano-2-Edit by Ian, on Flickr

2405_Aurora_173-Pano-Edit by Ian, on Flickr

You can even see The Plough in the second shot, if you look closely enough

Last edited:
I went out and about around the moors and surprise view in the peak district, loads of people driving around, and in the laybys, car parks full, was great to see.

I got some good shots with the R6MK2 and 14-35 f4, the biggest problem i had was focussing, i put it on manual focus.

IMGL5090-Enhanced-NR.jpg

IMGL5085-Enhanced-NR.jpgIMGL5041-Enhanced-NR.jpgIMGL5328-Enhanced-NR.jpgIMGL5315-Enhanced-NR.jpgIMGL5160-Enhanced-NR-2.jpgIMGL5186-Enhanced-NR.jpg

Last edited:
Please forgive the watermark. This was taken last night down in Essex. Such an incredible sight. Glad so many of you got to see it. I believe there's supposed to be more tonight?

Week 20 - TBC-2.jpg

Good sightings here in Morecambe looking across the bay about 12:30am.
Love the moon in that. Those lights are presumably Grange-over-Sands. Which is below!

I wish I had read up a bit on how best to take photos though - I think my exposures were a bit too long, so it became a colour blur rather than those lovely streaks that many have got. I'll try again tonight!

DSC01959.jpg

Last edited:
I heard about this on the radio news.....

A significant CME has happened and the effects will be seen tonight with Northern Lights across the UK...... given a clear sky.

The 'expert' being interviewed mentioned that the lights may be fleeting & intermittent so a long exposure should/would reveal the "wonder".

So much for experts!

My partner sent me a fantastic shot on his phone from his friend's house on the outskirts of Glasgow. I'm home in dark and rural south Somerset and all I could see was what looked like a bit of cloud haze and all I got from a phone photo was a very noisy, grainy reddish blob with a blurry foreground, and it won't clean up no matter what I do. The jury's definitely still out on whether it really was the aurora. My partner is not a photographer, which is probably why he can take a photo on a phone and I can't. I should have got a real camera out but this was after midnight when I'd spent 2 hours surveying bats and I had to be up fairly early this morning.
I'm beginning to think I'm destined to never see an aurora
It's far too cloudy and murky now to have any hope of a chance tonight. It was murky though less cloudy yesterday - maybe that was my problem

Love the moon in that. Those lights are presumably Grange-over-Sands. Which is below!

Thanks - yes that's the place :)

Would these be visible in Brighton tonight? I am considering travelling for that.

Possibly! Sorry to be vague but the Aurorae are capricious beasts at the best of times, as is our weather.

Back