max aperture

Name
wasim wazir
Edit My Images
Yes
On my kit lens which is 18 to 55 3.5 to 5.5 aperture. I can actually increase my aperture to 22. What if i get a 50mm 1.8??whats the max aperture i can get?

You do realise F22 is mininum aperture not max, and is something that you will not really use?

On my kit lens which is 18 to 55 3.5 to 5.5 aperture. I can actually increase my aperture to 22. What if i get a 50mm 1.8??whats the max aperture i can get?

That would be f1.8 ( the widest aperture) (y)

Les :D

Oh ok i see but one problem i have with wide aperture is the bokeh type photos which i dont prefer so when i take a photo with a 50mm 1.8f i want the aperture at 10f. So will this be possible

Yes, you will be able to set the aperture of a 50mm f1.8 lens to f10 (or at least somewhere very near f10).

Lenses are generally defined by their focal length (eg 50mm, 18 - 55mm) and their widest aperture (eg f1.8, f3.5 - 4.5). Apart from some fixed aperture lenses, which are uncommon now, all lenses can be adjusted to a give smaller aperture. A common range of apertures is from the maximum aperture to f22 (and sometimes more).

Dave

Last edited:
The typical aperture "scale" is this:

f1.4, f2, f2.8, f4, f5.6, f8, f11, f16, f22

1.4 is the largest and will give the most bokeh. f22 is the smallest and will give the most depth of field.

If you buy a f1.8 lens it will do all those "stops" from 1.8 to f22 in set steps(of 1/2 or 1/3 of what Ive shown e.g f1.8, f2, f2.2 f2.5).

the f3.5 will only do from f3.5 down to f22.

If you "dont like" the bokeh effect from the 1.8, dont buy it, no point having 1.8 if you're never going to use it. Well, not strictly true since the 50mm 1.8 will give sharper pictures at f8 than a kit lens.

The AF-s 50 f1.8 will go to f16. Specs here;

http://www.europe-nikon.com/en_GB/p...x/single-focal-length/af-s-nikkor-50mm-f-1-8g

The number quoted on the lens is the widest aperture. On zoom lenses this varies so two numbers are quoted. If you're not sure what I'm getting at do the following.

Set your zoom to 18mm
Put your camera into aperture priority mode
Set your aperture to f3.5
Zoom to 55
Notice that the aperture is now at f5.6

Oh and bare in mind that the really cheap 50mm f1.8 AFD lens won't auto focus on your camera, you need the AF-s one.

Not sure how small apertures can get but F32 on my 100mm F2.8L lens seems pretty small!

Oh ok i see but one problem i have with wide aperture is the bokeh type photos which i dont prefer so when i take a photo with a 50mm 1.8f i want the aperture at 10f. So will this be possible

Er, why on Earth are you thinking of buying a 50mm f1.8 lens if you're planning on using it at f10 or narrower? That's like buying an Aston Martin and driving it around at 20 mph!

Well it's not quite the same :p With the Aston, there's always the potential to go faster! Same with the lens, it's better to have 1.8 and not need it than not have it and want it.

The question still remains, why buy a fixed 50 lens where the main benefit is large aperture for DoF and low light ability if never going to use it.

Is it just because it is cheap and offers better IQ than the kit maybe? (a good enough reason)

Er, why on Earth are you thinking of buying a 50mm f1.8 lens if you're planning on using it at f10 or narrower? That's like buying an Aston Martin and driving it around at 20 mph!

Driving a fancy Aston Martin at 20mph, will give the girls a chance to check you out, as you go purring past ;)

Back