Maximum Flash Trigger Voltage Sekonic L-308s

Edit My Images
No
I can't find in the manual what the Maximum Flash Trigger Voltage is for a Sekonic L-308s Flash meter. :shrug:

Anyone know

Thanks

Easy to find out if you've got a multimeter.

Switch the flashgun on and let it charge. Connect the multimeter across the centre pin and the side contact of the flash with the meter set to a highish range (400V or so as a start) DC. The trigger voltage should come up on the meter. If you need to, you can turn the range down in increments until you reach the right sort of setting.

I have all my flashguns marked with the trigger voltage so that I don't attach one with 460V across it's contacts to someones new pride-n-joy and fry the thing. :eek:

I've just got a new flash meter that has a PC skt to fire the flash with a lead, but like the cameras, a high voltage gun may fry it...

There is no mention of the maximum voltage that the flash meter can handle.

I guess it's another trip to Maplins for an Opto-Isolator etc...:cool:

I did a search for "Sekonic" on this site and there are a lot of references to it, so I was hoping that someone who has one would know what they can handle (Trigger Voltage)

Thanks

Easy to find out if you've got a multimeter.

Switch the flashgun on and let it charge. Connect the multimeter across the centre pin and the side contact of the flash with the meter set to a highish range (400V or so as a start) DC. The trigger voltage should come up on the meter. If you need to, you can turn the range down in increments until you reach the right sort of setting.
This is not correct. The trigger voltage is a fixed voltage No matter the settings

I did a search for "Sekonic" on this site and there are a lot of references to it, so I was hoping that someone who has one would know what they can handle (Trigger Voltage)

Thanks
I got hold of the wrong end of the stick there, sorry.

This is not correct. The trigger voltage is a fixed voltage No matter the settings

It's your interpretation that's at fault. You're correct in saying that the trigger voltage is the same but having the METER set to the wrong range can damage the meter.

I found the instruction book on line and on page 15 there is this message regarding a low voltage.
Not what you are looking for though.

For flash unit with an extremely low trigger voltage, the flash
may not fire. In this case, make measurements in auto reset
cordless flash mode. (See page 16)

http://www.sekonic.com/images/files/L-308S_Instr_Manual.pdf
John

John, and everyone else.

Thanks for all the comments. I've sent an e-mail to Sekonic asking the question, but have not received a reply from them...:shake:

I would have thought that with so many people using them, someone on this forum would know the answer...

Back