Meanygate meanderings (and beyond) - a farmed landscape

Afternoons aren't generally very good for finding work going on, so I was stuck with the usual 'landscape' options.

_7519309.jpg

For the first time I saw sheep on the moss, but not easily accessible.

_7519303.jpg

There had been drainage work taking place. Prior to this 'project' the draining of the moss lands and former Martin Mere had been a recurring subject for me.

_7519314.jpg

_7519321.jpg

_7519312.jpg

Over 90 and still hoeing. Pity I chopped the tractors. :headbang:

_7519441.jpg

He said cheap Spanish lettuce imports have killed that side of the business.

_7519464.jpg

Radish waste.

_7519444.jpg

Dry on top, a bit of moisture under the surface after the thunderstorm on Monday..

_7519448.jpg

Going home.

_7519453.jpg

Back on home turf for a walk this evening. I miss being able to get out there during working hours as all I get are pictures of 'stuff' after tea. Still, the sun was nice even if the wind was chilly.

_7519953.jpg

_7519941.jpg

_7519957.jpg

Back out of area again. I once had an idea for a big project titled "Marsh, Moss and Mere" looking at the three local areas of drained land. It's one of those things that sounds good but which I lack the drive to complete. The mere is the most difficult to deal with as there is no public access - although when I had a ticket to fish the drains I could get to some of it legitimately. Probably because it was all under water until the 1700s there are next to no public footpaths, and none at all across the main body of the mere.

_7519972.jpg

Once upon a time this, and a whole lot more, was below the surface of what some believe to have been the largest lake in England. Martin Mere. Now it is highly productive farmland.

_7519979-Pano.jpg

This is the upper reaches of the main, and original, drain. In summer the level is kept high and used for irrigation. In winter it is often pumped low to prevent the mere returning in its original watery form.

_7519980.jpg

_7519962.jpg

_7519968.jpg

One from the archives giving a hint of what could happen if the pumps were switched off.

_7508018.jpg

Last edited:
Back to the mere this evening.

_7510591.jpg

It's been very dry so when I passed some irrigation in action I stopped off to take a few (80 plus) snaps. Two types of irrigation at work.

_7510576.jpg

_7510548.jpg

_7510531.jpg

_7510519.jpg

_7510579.jpg

I'm not a veg expert so I'm not sure what is being planted. Something oniony by the look of things. My guess is leeks as this is the area where a lot of them are grown in the sandy soil

_7510585.jpg

_7510589.jpg

Really like your first shot - a quite different perspective from usual.
Thanks Toni. I wanted to show the cut leaves and the standing crop, and after trying wider shots I got in close and low. It was harder to get right than I thought it would be.

A bit of warm evening light yesterday. I must clean the front of my lens - and the sensor...

_7519547.jpg

_7519528.jpg

_7519531.jpg

_7519517.jpg

Then the sun dropped below the inevitable bank of cloud on the horizon.

_7519553.jpg

To reappear through a gap when I'd moved on. :rolleyes:

_7519554.jpg

Well out of area this evening, over the other side of the river to another area of drained land. Neither a moss, a marsh nor a mere this place is called a finney. A quick Googles says the meaning is a piece of land surrounded by water, which fits as it lies between the junction of the Douglas and Yarrow rivers and was another area of marshy land. The crops grown here are mostly cereals. This gives it a different feel, as does the fact the tracks are at field level and there are one or two trees along the ditches. Although I like walking the tracks I find it boring to photograph, at least in a way that says anything about it as a worked landscape. Maybe I should s[pend more time there to get to grips with it?

Just a couple of shots to show the lie of the land. It's a little closer to the West Pennine Moors so they are more obvious than out on the moss and mere.

_7519590.jpg

The line of trees to the left in the picture below border the railway. On the other side of which the land is more peaty and begins to rise gradually. (Edit to add: The other side of the railway line is called a 'moss'.) Again a slightly different feel to it. All difficult to get across photographically.

_7519577.jpg

As might have become apparent in thse threads of mine I am becoming less interested in making pictures to 'impress' other photographers and more inclined to make pictures which accompany text. I still try to make the photos work as pictures, if that makes sense. Framing is all important to both include information and to make the composition satisfying.

I'm rambling again! Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
After yesterday I thought another visit to the finney was in order. Although I've been and photographed it before it was never with any clear intent. However today did remind me how little there is out there. At least at this time of year when crops are growing. Here are a few snaps. I don't think I'll be focusing on this area for now.

The same track as the second one above, but showing the bridge and drain. This gives a good idea of what the landscape is like.

_7519604.jpg

The tracks are private roads but many are public footpaths. Same spot, different take on it.

_7519606.jpg

But not all.

_7519658.jpg

These concrete bridges are a feature of the finney.

_7519608.jpg

All the tracks are straight as a die. Low level wires have bird scarers on them.

_7519615.jpg

Two railway crossings have an associated house.

_7519640.jpg

Over the tracks and straight on!

_7519662.jpg

There's a house and some farm buildings at the next junction. But pretty uninteresting. I'd have gone further but I was getting hungry!

_7519671.jpg

As might have become apparent in thse threads of mine I am becoming less interested in making pictures to 'impress' other photographers and more inclined to make pictures which accompany text. I still try to make the photos work as pictures, if that makes sense. Framing is all important to both include information and to make the composition satisfying.
I think that this is the essence of your work.
I enjoy looking at the photos, which I appreciate are taken as photographic compositions, not necessarily as 'landscapes'.
I always find some interest in them (possibly because I am a little familiar with the area :thinking: ) and particularly in your text.

There are some excellent landscape shots on the forum, but my interest in them is in passing, perhaps informing me as to how to approach the subjesct, exposure, colour saturation etc. Your shots intrigue me somehow.

This also applies to your sheep work. (y)

I think that this is the essence of your work.
I enjoy looking at the photos, which I appreciate are taken as photographic compositions, not necessarily as 'landscapes'.
I always find some interest in them (possibly because I am a little familiar with the area :thinking: ) and particularly in your text.

There are some excellent landscape shots on the forum, but my interest in them is in passing, perhaps informing me as to how to approach the subjesct, exposure, colour saturation etc. Your shots intrigue me somehow.

This also applies to your sheep work. (y)
Thanks Alan. I think having familiarity or a connection with the subject of photographs makes them hold someone's attention longer.

I've photographed this greenhouse entrance before. This time there was something odd about the photograph, but I can't work out what. It's something to do with the view through the door's windows.

_7519712.jpg

I liked the arrangement of shapes the trailers and stacked trays made, but I'm not sure about the light as I was shooting into the sun.

_7519709-2.jpg

5:4 is even more arty in black and white...

_7519709.jpg

For years there has been a campaign to have this single track road with a crumbling verge lined by ditches made passable to artics. If it was it would take a lot of heavy traffic away from the village centre as it would be a direct route to most of the big veg packers from the main road. The 'No Pasar' sign looks sort of home made!

_7519719.jpg

This time there was something odd about the photograph
The door seems incongruous being wood and shed-like on a metal greenhouse but perhaps it is that it is quite bright in the background through the windows which is a bit odd?

The door seems incongruous being wood and shed-like on a metal greenhouse but perhaps it is that it is quite bright in the background through the windows which is a bit odd?
I think it is the view through the door's windows that makes it looks strange somehow.

A new toy arrived a later than hoped for today so I took it for a walk this afternoon. The rape has been harvested.

DSC_0061.jpg

The pile of 'bog oaks' grew earlier in the year.

DSC_0073.jpg

Contrasty veg.

DSC_0067.jpg

Growing.

_78O1104.jpg

Big field of raked hay ready for rowing up.

_78O1108.jpg

"How are you?"

"Ask me at seven o'clock when I've finished for the day."

_78O1116.jpg

_78O1117.jpg

Last edited:
A quick drive round the mere area this evening. The nights are drawing in fast now. I don't know what I was hoping to see, so ended up with a few 'nothing' shots. The sky was nice, but changing rapidly.

skysm.jpg
I like the feeling of being out on the mere but it's a difficult place to photograph, as are all the flatlands, in a 'landscape' style. Not that I'm any good at that anywhere! So I do it my way. Which usually means including some man-made objects or structures in the picture. The break in the sky just wouldn't align itself where I wanted it...
polessm.jpg
A detail of a bird scarer on the wire.
wiressm.jpg

Last edited:
When I got my first 'proper' camera back in 1976 it was pictures of frosty things that I first remember getting disappointing black and white prints of back from Boots. I still like taking photos on such days. So much so I went out fairly early the other day.frost2.jpg
Today I went out late. Too late really and not for long.

_7817925.jpg

_7817927.jpg

This section of hedge never sees the sun at this time of year.

_7817930.jpg

I like the frosty photos, I've never got any myself that I am happy with but then I am partial to my bed in the mornings :LOL:

I think a good set of shots illustrating the winter landscape in you location. (y)
Thanks. It looks a bit different now, but the roads were too treacherous to walk and out on then main moss road the other day there was an overturned car in a ditch! I'm not venturing far until there's a thaw.

The thaw has arrived. When the rain let up I put my wellies on and went for a wander. Not a lot to see as it's not been cultivating weather and there aren't many veggies left to be picked/cut but I usually find something.

_7818053.jpg

_7818056.jpg

Tried a different route yesterday, but left it too late.

I like the idea of this one but had to crop it heavily to make a picture.

_7818064.jpg

By the time I was close to where I wanted to be my hoped for subject was heading away so I turned round and retraced my steps. The sun was very bright as it got low.

_7818079.jpg

Out on the 'other' meanygate this afternoon. I have a mild obsession with photographing leeks. No idea why. :LOL:
Leek growing might become a project in its own right if I can kick the sheep habit!

_7818834.jpg

_7818847.jpg

_7818839.jpg

_7818846.jpg

Back