Meike / Aputure / Neewer / Any other

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Have been looking for a grip for my D300S and have found the above. Meike / Neewer both around £25, Aputure around £60.

I have read many good reports about the Meike but does anyone know if any of these are actually 'better' (probably in terms of build) than the others or are they all much of a muchness?

Many thanks

I have a Canon 7D MkII and use a Meike grip on that. Build quality is good, no complaints, fits nice and snug. The only thing I'm not sure about is the quality of the weatherproofing. I've used it during inclement weather at some club cricket matches, where it certainly did get wet, but I did not suffer any problems.

I've had Meike and Pixel, both appear well made but the Pixel only lasted a couple of weeks before the battery contact failed.
There is also a DSTE model, which also appears to have good reviews.

just had a look at MPB who have an original (used) Nikon MB D-10 in 'excellent' condition for £44. My heart says buy the used original, my head says save £20 and buy a new Meike...my wife says why do you need more bloody stuff for your camera

just had a look at MPB who have an original (used) Nikon MB D-10 in 'excellent' condition for £44. My heart says buy the used original, my head says save £20 and buy a new Meike...my wife says why do you need more bloody stuff for your camera

Oh yes. I know that one.

I'm pretty sure Neewer is just Meike with a different label.

At that price buy the original, you know it makes sense, nothing wrong with 3rd party but the build quality of the Nikon will be noticeable when you've got it in your hands

nothing wrong with 3rd party but the build quality of the Nikon will be noticeable when you've got it in your hands
Not necessarily, cheap to make accessories like a grip, battery packs, will not be made by Nikon. The manufacture of these accessories will be farmed out to some Chinese company

Not necessarily, cheap to make accessories like a grip, battery packs, will not be made by Nikon. The manufacture of these accessories will be farmed out to some Chinese company

Was to me, I'd like to think Nikon made sure that whoever they got to make them did so with a wee bit more structural integrity.
I'm quite sure if I dropped one of each on the pavement the Nikon would fair better but i'm no engineer.
My own experience is that either work fine but Nikon def' feels more robust.

I'd go with the Nikon one for that price.

At that price buy the original, you know it makes sense, nothing wrong with 3rd party but the build quality of the Nikon will be noticeable when you've got it in your hands
I have a Nikon grip on the d750 and a Meike on a d7200, side by side there is a difference to me in build quality, materials and the screw connection between grip and camera. It's not massive but the Nikon grip definitely feels a firmer connection and better build. If you haven't used/held a Nikon grip then I doubt anyone would be able to notice a deference between the two other than price, whether these differences are worth the price difference it is down to the buyer. In the OPs case it sounds worth it to me.

Nikon prices are crazy for grips, at least they have started to 'reuse' grips on model updates instead of needing a whole new grip (it extents the saleable life of a grip as its not out of date when a model update occurs).

I'd go with the Nikon one for that price.

I have a Nikon grip on the d750 and a Meike on a d7200, side by side there is a difference to me in build quality, materials and the screw connection between grip and camera. It's not massive but the Nikon grip definitely feels a firmer connection and better build. If you haven't used/held a Nikon grip then I doubt anyone would be able to notice a deference between the two other than price, whether these differences are worth the price difference it is down to the buyer. In the OPs case it sounds worth it to me.

Nikon prices are crazy for grips, at least they have started to 'reuse' grips on model updates instead of needing a whole new grip (it extents the saleable life of a grip as its not out of date when a model update occurs).

I wouldn't buy one new, always looked out for one at a good price used.
The price new is a bit much.

I've had a DSTE grip for my D300 and it was completely fine and unable.
However, I now have a genuine Nikon (2nd hand off the classifieds here) and the difference is huge.
DSTE: mostly plastic
Nikon:mostly metal
I do still use DSTE en-el4a batteries, charger and bl3. All compatible with genuine Nikon gear.

Thanks all, Nikon original it is then. I still can't really believe the price of them new, for the limited amount of tech inside and a simple manufacturing technique it is crazy. If others can manufacture, market and sell (and still make a margin) for £25 the Nikon margin, notwithstanding the 'better' build quality, must be huge. Can't help thinking if they halved the price they would sell many more. Still, that's up to them. Perhaps they feel their brand integrity would be compromised if they were less expensive.

I had a Neewer for my 7D. Functionally fine, however I used it with a Rapid Strap which attached via the tripod mount, and one day the grip just opened and started flexing - some very small micro-screws had all worked themselves loose and stripped the thread.

Wouldn't be an issue if using the normal strap mounts however.

I've just brought a nikon grip for my 7100 after some serious thinking about going for a third party one. The quality is much better and nikon have made theirs out of magnesium alloy which explains the price. I have looked at a third party grip but if you can stretch to a secondhand nikon it's worth the money.

Back