Men of Steam

Messiah Khan

Santa is your dad
Name
Alasdair Fowler
Edit My Images
Yes
Went to Barnard Castle steam rally on Sunday. Not with the intention of getting shots of steam engines, but instead to get images of quirky characters. :)

Samson_man_of_steam_by_MessiahKhan.jpg

Samuel_man_of_steam_by_MessiahKhan.jpg

Sean_man_of_steam_by_MessiahKhan.jpg

Sid_man_of_steam_by_MessiahKhan.jpg

Solomon_man_of_steam_by_MessiahKhan.jpg

Stanley_man_of_steam_by_MessiahKhan.jpg

Stirling_man_of_steam_by_MessiahKhan.jpg

:)

what a superb set of characters! :clap:

you succeeded in your mission - fine style. my only (minor) niggle is that they're all 300mm shots and I think that may show in the lack of eye contact.

Yeah, I was like...:eek:....420mm with the Vikings, not relevant I know, they wouldn't have stood still for a portrait at 10ft anyway, probably got a battle axe round the ere'ole..:LOL:
I really liked the Vikings, I like these too, but you look to have just gone that bit over on some with the processing, did you change something from the Vikings ?

1, 4, and 7, maybe its their stubble...I dunno

Great set superbly processed imho:clap:.
Two is my favourite of the bunch though.(y)

A fantastic set again, MK. I'd also be interested in the difference in processing between these and the Vikings.

Cathy

God I hate you MK. You never fail to produce some bloody good shots and I am definitely a lover of strong contrast B&W portraits like those. A great set as far as I am concerned.

Great stuff mate. I agree with joxby's comments that you start to suspect something about the stubble after the third image however if you saw just one you would not really pick up on that.

I likee very much. :clap:

These are wonderful, Alasdair. The processing brings out that dirty, steamy look (in the cleanest sense of the word!!!) :naughty:

You have an uncanny gift for attracting quirky old men, what's your secret ;) :)

These are great though and I love your black and white processing - would you share your steps?

What a handsome bunch! :)

Well shot and well processed too but then I've come to expect that from you (in the nicest possible way)

Did you batch process these to retain the feel of them?

Stunning, fantastic, what a great set of images and the processing to B & W is perfect. :clap:

I like them a lot. Is it the PP that makes them all look like they've just done a long shift down a coal mine? :bonk:

Wow, these are some awesome characters. I truly enjoy them. The b&w works well for them.

Perfect! Exactly what I was hoping to see when I opened the thread.
Very good captures and immaculate PP...(y)

you succeeded in your mission - fine style. my only (minor) niggle is that they're all 300mm shots and I think that may show in the lack of eye contact.

Point taken. I think some of them work, although my favourite is number 2, so maybe more eye contact would have helped the others. I used the 300mm as its easier to get candids from a decent range, It also helped with isolating the subjects, and finally I didn't fancy snapping some of these guys with the 10-20mm :LOL:.

I really liked the Vikings, I like these too, but you look to have just gone that bit over on some with the processing, did you change something from the Vikings ?

Yeah, with hindsight I feel I have overdone the processing on these somewhat. I wanted the contrasty, gritty feel, however if I was to do these again I would pull the processing back a tad. All the shots get the contrast from dodging and burning in photoshop, which is were I got a bit too carried away.

You have an uncanny gift for attracting quirky old men, what's your secret ;) :)

These are great though and I love your black and white processing - would you share your steps?

Hope I don't get a reputation for attracting strange men. :puke::LOL:

The trick with the processing is to play with the tonal range to make the highlights safe. I then use dodging and burning to bring out the contrast. The image is then finished with a subtle bit of duotoning.

What a handsome bunch! :)

Well shot and well processed too but then I've come to expect that from you (in the nicest possible way)

Did you batch process these to retain the feel of them?

Part batch processed, but the important part of dodging and burning was done on an individual basis.

I like them a lot. Is it the PP that makes them all look like they've just done a long shift down a coal mine? :bonk:

They were full of character, and some of them were mucky to start with, but the processing is what has made them all look like coal miners. :)

Meant to say mr. Khan that grumpy badger showed me this set of photos - and I was blown away by them. It was your photos that made me finally decide to join this forum. And you are quoted in my logbook and notes of "photos that have inspired you" for my social documentary college course. Fantastic work!

As I've already hinted before, I'm not a huge fan of faces and portraits but that is an ABSOLUTELY superb collection of portraits. The greyscale really works well on them, which served to add to the rugginess on their faces.
Great work, I just can't pick out a favourite as they are all so brilliant.

Great set of images. Great crowd of characters. Great mono conversions with good Dof contrast and detail.

Paul

A great bunch of characters MK, super pictures...something for us learners to aim for.

Back