Metropolis

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
No
crw_112524_2_3-copy.jpg

Around 10 months ago I was in Toronto, awesome place. I’ve learnt a lot in those 10 months so I decided to reprocess some of the shots. This is a HDR of part of the skyline taken with my Sigma 24-70. The reason why I’ve posted this is because on Thursday 22nd March I’ll be exhibiting some work for the magazine, Another Late Night. They’re taking the next issue of the magazine and converting it into an exhibition. The theme is “Metropolis.” Shameless linking there but I do feel that there’s more I can squeeze out of my Toronto shots that I couldn’t 10 months ago. Anyways, the exhibition is 6pm-8pm at the Alima Centre on Sefton Street, Liverpool.

Camera:: Canon 10D // Lens: Sigma 24-70 // Focal Length: 70.0mm // Exposure Time: 30 s // Aperture: f/20.0 // ISO: 100

Share This

More...

I like this. It is a nice calm use of HDR. Congrats on the exposition.

Thanks :) I had some issues with the light reflections. They seemed too saturated, and the light sources didn't seem right. Oddly now I'm in another room they look much nicer. :shrug:

I forgot to run it through noiseware. I hardly use noise reduction these days so I just forget. I think the previous was too blue tinted, which was part of the problem.

It was.

CRW_1125-02.jpg

The original shot. I feel the HDR version just adds a bit more to it.

Yes, the sky is much better in the HDR. Sky is the one thing that I have trouble with in my night shots of skylines. Still, now I'm shooting RAW I'm going to try playing with the shots a bit. I'll see what I come up with this weekend in London.

I generally don't shoot at night. I haven't yet learnt how to get the sky how I want. I'm also not sure on HDR at night with artificial lighting.

Thanks. 1st is better. I copied that above one into photoshop and just messed with the sky only. What I would of done is used a feathered select tool and make a selection around the sky "doesnt have to be too neat due to what I would be doing" then giving the sky a more dramatic feel by altering the curves and then using the hue/sat choosing the blue and reducing it while bumping the red. That gave a nice effect but the HDR seems to be the one still popping.

Problem I find with the original is that the sky/city colors arent merging well. Its too much on top and something totally diff below. Your HDR has kept some orange from the sky scrapers and placed that into the sunset.

Thanks for sharing.

Problem I find with the original is that the sky/city colors arent merging well. Its too much on top and something totally diff below. Your HDR has kept some orange from the sky scrapers and placed that into the sunset.

Thanks for sharing.

Thats the problem that I had with the original. I took the shot too late after sunset to capture the nice light so I got dusk light. HDR magically fixed it.

Hey pete just a question, what makes you choose between the 10d and 30d in situations?

It was simple here. At the time I had the 10D, now I have the 30D :) I never use the 10D unless I need a 2nd body.

Back