Miner Bee

Edit My Images
No
Heres some more recent shots. All with the MPe-65, MT24ex, 550D and Handheld.
What with the cooler weather and showers there were some willing subjects in the garden.

5 frames taken handheld at different focal points and then combined in Zerene stacker to give a greater DOF image. Had some repair work to do due to movement between frames but it was pretty clean.

Miner Bee Stacked by Abovelifesize, on Flickr

The rest are single frames at f11.

Miner Bee by Abovelifesize, on Flickr

Miner Bee by Abovelifesize, on Flickr

Hiding Miner Bee by Abovelifesize, on Flickr

Number 2 is great well done especially as they are hand held.
I really wish Nikon would come up with something like the MPe-65 its the only think that has tempted me to change to Canon. :)
Imagine what a MPe-65 and D800 setup would be like :eek:

Cracking set of shots (y)

Yeah as the man says :clap:

Particularly, for me, No1 the combined shot - never heard of Zerene and will certainly look it up and the cost.

I would also agree that it's about time that Nikon produced something like the MPe-65 - come on Nikon!!

The images are stunning (y); but what gets the wow factor is that you've done these handheld, must have taken a lot of practice.

Would love to know a bit more about the lighting set-up, if you don't mind.

Those shots are fantastic. I'll have to get myself an MPe-65.

Beautiful shots. Stunning clarity and light.

XT8i, I think we've all said we want an MPE-65 but it's not quite so simple as point it at a subject and click once ;)

There's a little bit more to it than that mate;)

Tell me about it :LOL: , I've tried to have a go with my kit lens in the garden.
I hope with more time and effort and a lot more experience, I could achieve results like that. (y)

Those shots are fantastic. I'll have to get myself an MPe-65.

Thank you:) But its not as easy as that, if you have no experience of Macro i would start off with a normal macro lens like the Tamron 90mm, Sigma 105mm etc and get used to shooting at 1:1 then add some extension tubes to experience shooting above 1:1. You will also need a decent flash setup unless you intend to shoot natural light only which will probably limit you to shooting early mornings when the bugs are static.

If all this is for you and you want more magnification, only then would i consider buying the MPe-65, it is a specialized piece of equipemet. It dosent focus to infinity so is therefore useless for anything except Macro 1:1 and above (the normal macro lenses can double as decent portrait lenses) and starts off at 1:1 and goes to 5:1 so you wont be able to photograph fully the larger insects (you would still need a standard macro lens for that).

Any shot you see with this lens has been hard earned and its not as simple as finding the subject and pressing the shutter, lighting can be a real pain and the DOF is tiny which makes focusing critical and to make things even harder most people (including me) shoot handheld.

I dont wish to deter you from taking up Macro, but if you expect to buy this lens and get results like this you are more than likley going to be disapointed and frustrated. It takes and enormous amount of dedication and patience to get these results but in the end it is so worth it as it opens up a whole world you never new existed. Ive pretty much shot exclusivley with the lens for the last 3 years to get where i am now.

Thank you:) But its not as easy as that, if you have no experience of Macro i would start off with a normal macro lens like the Tamron 90mm, Sigma 105mm etc and get used to shooting at 1:1 then add some extension tubes to experience shooting above 1:1. You will also need a decent flash setup unless you intend to shoot natural light only which will probably limit you to shooting early mornings when the bugs are static.

If all this is for you and you want more magnification, only then would i consider buying the MPe-65, it is a specialized piece of equipemet. It dosent focus to infinity so is therefore useless for anything except Macro 1:1 and above (the normal macro lenses can double as decent portrait lenses) and starts off at 1:1 and goes to 5:1 so you wont be able to photograph fully the larger insects (you would still need a standard macro lens for that).

Any shot you see with this lens has been hard earned and its not as simple as finding the subject and pressing the shutter, lighting can be a real pain and the DOF is tiny which makes focusing critical and to make things even harder most people (including me) shoot handheld.

I dont wish to deter you from taking up Macro, but if you expect to buy this lens and get results like this you are more than likley going to be disapointed and frustrated. It takes and enormous amount of dedication and patience to get these results but in the end it is so worth it as it opens up a whole world you never new existed. Ive pretty much shot exclusivley with the lens for the last 3 years to get where i am now.

Thanks for the reply Abovelifesize, very informative.

I have had a quick look at the Tamron 90mm and Sigma 105mm, and both seem to get good reviews (y) . They look ideal for my adventure into the macro world (when the funds become available). I may look at getting 2nd hand.

Thanks,
Gra.

great work with fantastic detail and the colours of these creatures are so stunning

Back