Beginner Minimum equipment needed for a family photo shoot

Edit My Images
Yes
After taking some nice photos of a friends son the grandmother has asked if I can take some pictures of the family when they gather at Christmas. I know an equipment list can range from minimal to vast so the question is subjective but I'm just looking for input. I've got speedlites and don't really want to go down the studio light route at this stage. Am I making things difficult?

Thanks in advance.

Depends where you're taking the photos and what style of photo you're taking. You can get some good light out of doors even in December, and indoors you can be anywhere from a brightly lit conservatory to a black hole of a room with no natural lighting and a sickly mix of artificial sources.

More information needed.. .. which you may not yet have available.

Thanks Alistair, haven't spoken to the GM yet but I've envisaging just some posed 'studio' type shots against a background. Was thinking of deviating from the norm and going for something outrageous such as white! Space wise, I haven't got a space suitable for a group of people really and I know that the GM hasn't either so was thinking about hiring some space as there are lots of places around here that would be big enough and are dirt cheap, thought I'd kill 3 birds with one stone and get my family to come along at the same time while it's set up.

What's the largest number of people you'll have in one shot? What lens will you be using? How many speedlights do you have? Do you have remote triggers? What lighting modifiers do you already own? What is your budget for new kit? Have you done any studio shooting before?
Find an example image of what you are looking to replicate and post it here.

What's the largest number of people you'll have in one shot? 8 including a toddler

What lens will you be using? - First port of call would be 50mm 1.8 I have others available though.

How many speedlights do you have? - 3

Do you have remote triggers? - Yes

What lighting modifiers do you already own? Just a shoot through, a very small softbox, 5 in 1 reflector

What is your budget for new kit? Low

Have you done any studio shooting before? - No just some shooting at home with children using the speedlites and a background, I'm just trying to scale this up. To call what I want to do 'studio' shooting is a bit grand though, I just need room to maneuver rather than setting up a photo studio.

Find an example image of what you are looking to replicate and post it here - ill try and find some.

all good questions above.
I've done group shots for family and weddings.
I used three speedlights, the one on my camera controlled the two others at either side.
the reason for having one in the centre is so that I didn't get unwanted shadows between the two lights.
something like a clean backdrop is nice.
the 50mm would be okay on a full frame but very tight on a cropped sensor I think.
if you have a lower quality lens, then you can always stop down a little.
think about your aperture, I would aim for f4 or f8 if possible.

What modifiers did you use Matt?

Choice of lenses at the mo are UWA 10-18mm 4.5 - 5.6, Tamron 18-270 and my kit lens. I think I'll ask my mate to borrow his L lens though.

If you are intent on hiring a studio then hire one with lights included and usually there will be someone there to help you set up. Shoot your family first and get it right, and then rinse and repeat for the other family. Simples.

Can it be on location, as a family portrait outside getting them walking and interacting together would be a lovely group shot in say as local country park and a speedlite could be used as a fill flash if required and a reflector, lens wise tamron 18-200 for group and 50mm for some closer images

Try looking for a local studio, 1 or maybe 2 hours, £50-£70, they set everything up for you, everyone has fun messing around, all you need is your camera, I did it in Leeds 3 years ago, great results,
Jim

Try looking for a local studio, 1 or maybe 2 hours, £50-£70, they set everything up for you, everyone has fun messing around, all you need is your camera, I did it in Leeds 3 years ago, great results,
Jim

This isn't a bad plan. We used one in Newcastle a few times. £20 per hour off peak. As you say, just turn up with a camera that can take a hotshoe trigger. The rest is done for you.

We all enjoyed it because they left us alone but were there if needed, can't remember how much but 2 hours was about right, they even supplied tea and coffee, Jim

Great ideas, meeting with the GM soon to discuss - thanks guys.

Back