Minolta beercan vs Sigma 70-300 APO

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys,
I'm quite tempted to buy a Minolta 70-210 'beercan' lens of ebay (£160) for my Sony A200. But originally I was planning on getting a Sigma 70-300 APO lens as various people said it was good. I'm just wondering which would give me the most joy? I know one does have an extra 90mm of focal range, but I'm quite happy to give that up if the beercan is significantly better than the sigma lens.

Ideally I'd want the sharpest one out of the two (throughout their focal range or at least the sharpest at 200mm), and the one that produces the least amount of CA.

So which would be best for me?

Oh I want to use the lens for taking photos of people, birds and other interesting objects from afar.

Alex

I would also like to know the answer to this. I have just picked up the Sigma lens for < £80 so I'm hoping this will keep me going for the short term.

I'm hoping to pick up a prime lens as well which should cover me between 18mm (using the kit lens) all the way upto 300mm.

Apparently the new super APO lens has metal gears, but I'm not 100% sure on that. I'm currently bidding on a beercan lens, and a couple being watched incase I loose the bid. We'll see what happens, the sigma lens still sounds very tempting.

Purchased a beercan last night. I hope its as good as everyone says.

Let me know, I pick up my Sigma 70-300mm lens today. Lost out on a couple of beercans recently. The range of prices they seem to sell for is interesting to say the least :thinking:

another lens worth watching out for is the Minolta 100-300 APO.
It's as good optically as the Sigma but smaller, lighter & more reliable ...

Back