Minolta Dynax 5 problems.. please help!! :(

Name
Jess
Edit My Images
Yes
Help!!:help:

My Minolta Dynax 5 has gone funny... but I might just be being completely silly.

I went to use it about a week ago, popped some slide film in, closed the back and had the whirry noise saying it acknowledged the film. Then I turned it on, and all that was showing up on the display was the ISO no (200) and the pic of the film with flashing 0 next to it. So I tried to change the settings, was moving the wheel around, and nothing!

I assumed it was dead batteries!? So bought fresh ones, but the problem still occurs. But, when I first put the batteries in, the camera makes the whirry turning on noise and displays all the other settings for just a couple of seconds but then goes away again (tried this with the camera both off and on!)

So I thought.. the contacts must be buggered! But they look fine, and I'm always so delicate with my camera.. and the camera acknowledges the batteries at first so can that really be the problem?

Am I missing something HUGELY obvious?

Hopefully someone can sort me out! Lol :crying:

Possibly the film hasn't taken up.

Try opening the back in a dark room and feel if the film has connected with the take up

Yep sound like the film has not wound on.

Classic for cameras like that, stick film in, camera goes "whiirrrr, ding, clonk" (well mind do anyway :D) all the numbers on top start blinking, nothing happens..

like Chappers suggested, just to be on the safe side open the camera in the dark and check to see if it has wound on.

Hi Jess,

I just saw your post about your problems with the Minolta Dynax 5.
I am having exactly the same here now.
Can you let me know, how did you solve that?
Many thanks..
Jim

Holy thread resurrection...... I'm fairly sure that Jess hasn't been back in this section for a long time.

However I'm sure someone will be along in a moment who can help. Welcome to the wonderful, friendly and everso helpful Film and Conventional section of TP. :wave:

Andy

There is a user manual available for download so it is worth checking through the trouble shooting bits:

http://tinyurl.com/nc6m3jl

If the frame counter display is flashing a 0 then it means the film hasn't loaded properly.

It has loaded successfully when it has a 1 displayed on the frame counter.

Hi @Andysnap...thanks for the welcome..!..
@srichards ...thanks i have the manual and all...but film is just not loading...at all..several attempts and all fail...plus there is the loud whirring sound......autofocus and manual focus shows at the same time...autofocus does not work..but i can focus by manually turning the focus rings...shutters fires at times...and some other time..there is that whirring sound again...if I detach the lens...the shutters fires cleanly with Autofocus marked...and no sound like when the lens is attached...

Last edited:
Have you got a spare film you can use? I have a roll if pound land special the I use to test the mechanicals of all my cameras, it's saved me a lot of money, rather than finding out that the film advance doesn't work with an expensive roll of Velvia.

Film should load pretty easily. Make sure it is flat and shut the back. It should load straight away if you have it hooked over a lug.

The best person to ask about the issue is Dave at http://www.camerarepairworkshop.co.uk/ He's really helpful and knowledgeable.

Have you got a different lens you can try? Does it do it in all modes:auto, P, A etc?

@RaglanSurf ..... thanks for the suggestions...but as I wrote earlier...the roll will not load...the minolta dynax5 has an icon that tells you the roll is not loaded...so..no need to use spare film...because any film will just not load...remains as it is with the leader sticking...and does not wind...so no loss of film...and no loading...and also without the film there are other issues as I stated before..

@srichards ...thanks again very much...yes..let me try to contact Dave..thanks for the tip...maybe I should try a different lens..it only means that i need to look for compatible lens to the Minolta D mount...
As I wrote earlier...all modes are opening..except..the autofocus does not work..and the whirring sound..and all that I stated before...

Not the most constructive suggestion for fixing your camera, but it may just be cheaper to class it as beyond economical repair & get another one? There is one advertised as working & in good condition on ebay for £8.50 buy it now + postage.

Last edited:
Hi @DNH ....you may be right...:)...unfortunately many of those on the UK ebay site, do not ship to india...plus there is a stupid import tax of 33% here...but I am going to check that out...
...the best would be if these problems can be solved...:)...because the camera looks in mint condition...so..hoping here...:)

Shipping to India might be a problem. Given the climate could it be a problem with humidity & dampness getting to the electronics? Could always try a spell sealed in a plastic bag with a silica sachet or some dried rice to see if it helps?

thanks @DNH ...fortunately..i have a dry cabinet...so it stores well....i think that it may be that motor has gone kaput....still trying to find some solution to this...:)...

Back