Mirrorless - where to start?

Edit My Images
Yes
Currently running Nikon dlsr's, wife is looking at getting into to and although I know Nikon Z6 or Z7 makes the most sense, I remember the first Sony Alpha a7 coming out and thinking it looked very impressive.

So, ignoring that I've already got Nikon gear, which would you recommend and why?

I'm thinking of renting a few and trying them out but would really like everyone's opinions without trawling through each owner's thread on here.

Thanks

EDIT: Shooting weddings, portraits, maybe studio shoots and as a general walk around family camera.

Last edited:
I have one of those original A7's. I ordered it before they hit the shops and it's still in use.

Maybe you should think about what you shoot and how. The gear you need to look at could well depend on if you need the latest and greatest focus systems with sticky eye detect for fast action or maybe high resolution could tempt you? Or could you be happy with a camera with a less state of the art focusing system and a lower resolution? Also there's the Sony A7c which is a smaller RF style FF camera.

I'm happy with my original A7 as I don't need a fast focus system and actually a lot of the time I use manual lenses anyway. Lens wise I'm mostly into primes and Sony do some decent f1.8's.

I do think mirrorless is a step forward with WYSIWYG, being able to focus accurately and consistently anywhere in the frame and eye detect all being real game changers.

There's are now mirrorless cameras to suit every one.
It is reported that in all respects the new Canon R 3 exceeds the ability of their Eos 1DX MK3 for Sports use
So there are now cameras for all users at ever level and with every depth of pocket.
Is it the best time to make a major jump?....probably not because the new top line technology will soon filter down through the various levels. And prices are high at the moment because off the massive chip shortage. And manufacturers are probably holding back many intended major upgrades.

Depends on your budget and what you are after.
I'd suggest looking at 2nd generation canons and 3rd/4th generation Sonys. they are current best for AF performance. Sony sensor have always been good so there is no issues there.

Sony has an advantage with lenses because they have been going longer plus there's many 3rd party options.
Canon has the best adapter support for EF lenses but considering you'll be buying new may be that not such a big deal for you.

Reactions: 4wd
I’m a long time Nikon user.
Nikon z is just as good as the other brands. Many reviewers complain the tracking and eye AF are not quite up to Sony standards.
Nikon have promised a major firmware upgrade this month so let’s see what that brings.
The Nikon Z system has already enough very high quality lenses for your intended use.
Of course you can always use your F mount lenses with the FTZ adapter without penalty.

Last edited:
and olympus gives light weight ,good i.q ,plus cheap lenses .

As it was 40 years ago as it is now.

You look at the lenses not the body, does the brand have the lenses that you love to use? If yes, prioritise those. If not, what's the closest?

Lenses takes 5+years, sometimes a decade before they are replaced/release, body are 2 a penny, a new one out every year, or 2 out every year.

Then also pick it up, do you like that?

Now…..can you afford everything that you want in that system?

I’m a long time Nikon user.
Nikon z is just as good as the other brands. Many reviewers complain the tracking and eye AF are not quite up to Sony standards.
Nikon have promised a major firmware upgrade this month so let’s see what that brings.
The Nikon Z system has already enough very high quality lenses for your intended use.
Of course you can always use your F mount lenses with the FTZ adapter without penalty.
This. If you love Nikon's files, then there is no reason to switch brands. I have Z6 and Z6ii and absolutely love them. Capable and versatile, and my back thanks me every time I do a wedding. Yes I maybe biased, but that's how it is.

Not mentioned here but the micro 4/3 Panasonic Lumix would be worth a look I'd say. I've tried them all pretty much. Best bang for buck would be the G7 onwards (although avoid the G100 as it's totally minute and not very comfortable to hold at all!).

I can't say I use mine much, but the G95 / G9 feel the best in the hand in terms of ergonmics. Despite being a long-time Canon user, I'd definitely say that the Panasonic Lumix exceeds the Canon R5 in terms of handling control and absolute enjoyment for sure.

Nobody has mentioned Fuji yet...

What is your motivation to switch to mirrorless? What lenses do you use the most?

Currently running Nikon dlsr's, wife is looking at getting into to and although I know Nikon Z6 or Z7 makes the most sense, I remember the first Sony Alpha a7 coming out and thinking it looked very impressive.

So, ignoring that I've already got Nikon gear, which would you recommend and why?

I'm thinking of renting a few and trying them out but would really like everyone's opinions without trawling through each owner's thread on here.

Thanks

EDIT: Shooting weddings, portraits, maybe studio shoots and as a general walk around family camera.
The Nikons are great, but native z-mount lenses are relatively limited. Canon have really upped their game with their mirrorless cameras but a lot of the native lenses are hideously expensive.

Sony has the most mature FF mirrorless system and there’s plenty of excellent 3rd party lenses. Also, blackout free shooting available on some bodies is something worth thinking about, makes a huge difference ime. You might have an issue with this if using flash though.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Main motivation for moving over is mainly for the wife, she's started training and has tagged along at several weddings recently. The D700 and D810 are fine for me, although I actually prefer the 12mp D700 over the D810, they are just rather bulky for her and especially for a general walking around camera on holidays/days out.

As she only works part time, she'd actually be better off pushing the photography and working 15 weddings a year vs 52 weeks a year in insurance. So, starting out in a new system isn't that much of an issue.

A mirrorless would be great for her, DLSR performance in a smaller body.

Lens wise she's just starting out and has mainly used a 50mm 1.8, 24-70mm 2.8 and a 70-200mm 2.8 so she doesn't really have any preference yet.

Main motivation for moving over is mainly for the wife, she's started training and has tagged along at several weddings recently. The D700 and D810 are fine for me, although I actually prefer the 12mp D700 over the D810, they are just rather bulky for her and especially for a general walking around camera on holidays/days out.

As she only works part time, she'd actually be better off pushing the photography and working 15 weddings a year vs 52 weeks a year in insurance. So, starting out in a new system isn't that much of an issue.

Lens wise she's just starting out and has mainly used a 50mm 1.8, 24-70mm 2.8 and a 70-200mm 2.8 so she doesn't really have any preference yet.
If she's serious about doing weddings then I'd advise two bodies minimum, both with dual card slots. Lens wise 35mm prime and 85mm prime seem to suit a lot of wedding togs, much lighter than carrying around a 24-70mm f2.8 and 70-200mm f2.8. With regards to the 85mm the Sigma 85mm f1.4 DG DN is a stunning lens and considerably cheaper than the main manufacturer alternatives.

Bang for buck 2 Nikon Z5s is a solid way in, particularly for weddings. It has dual card slots, decent battery life and the files shouldn't feel all that different from Nikon DSLRs.

There have been some pretty good offers on them recently, from personal experience I'd also recommend the Z 35mm 1.8S and the Viltrox 85mm 1.8, a pretty affordable wedding combo as fast-ish primes go.

Bang for buck 2 Nikon Z5s is a solid way in, particularly for weddings. It has dual card slots, decent battery life and the files shouldn't feel all that different from Nikon DSLRs.

There have been some pretty good offers on them recently, from personal experience I'd also recommend the Z 35mm 1.8S and the Viltrox 85mm 1.8, a pretty affordable wedding combo as fast-ish primes go.
They are good cameras, but the trouble is lack of native DX lenses.

As Snerkler says 2 bodies and a 35 and 85mm would suffice.
Given that you already own Nikon then 2 x Z6ii’s with a 35mm 1.8S and a 85mm 1.8S seem logical.
Buy with an FTZ adapter to give access to your big zooms if necessary.
Nikon’s new S lenses are equal to any, the 50mm 1.8 is regarded as good as an Otus, with the 85mm the same.

Last edited:
Z5 is FX no?
Regardless Z lens development even for FX is really slow with no 3rd party support. They are also on the slower side for AF.
I'd say canon or Sony is a much better prospect if buying new.

Last edited:
Z5 is FX no?
Regardless Z lens development even for FX is really slow with no 3rd party support. They are also on the slower side for AF.
Not quite, while the Z5 is Full frame. FX is Nikons line of FF DSLRs using the F mount, which the Z5 doesn't, it uses the Z mount, with much shorter registration. FX lenses can be adapted to it but do not mount directly.

Not quite, while the Z5 is Full frame. FX is Nikons line of FF DSLRs using the F mount, which the Z5 doesn't, it uses the Z mount, with much shorter registration. FX lenses can be adapted to it but do not mount directly.
I just meant that Z5 was a FF body. I do know FX/DX notation was originally for Nikon DSLRs. I only referred it to as FX since I was replying to a person that was referring APS-C Z mount lenses as DX.

Z5 is FX no?

The Nikon S range has enough for the intended use.
What is missing for the intended use outlined in the OP’s 1st post?.
Yes, I misread it as the Z50 :facepalm:

My two cents. Go Sony or Nikon. Sony is investing huge amounts into R&D so future wise a good path plus they are allowing third party lens manufacturers to produce lenses. Tamron is producing some excellent E- mount glass. Nikon would be my second choice but only to use existing Nikon lenses which is is only a good option if you have high quality lenses.

I would seriously look at the Sony a7iii does all you need and a bit more

Les :)

The Z5 is full frame. Seems to be massively overlooked compared to the Z6/7 but it's only really pared back in terms of video.

For stills shooters it's the cheapest mirrorless FF mirrorless camera that is fully specced for wedding photography etc (i.e. compared to the a7RII or Canon RP, both lacking dual card slots and up to date AF).

The Z5 is full frame. Seems to be massively overlooked compared to the Z6/7 but it's only really pared back in terms of video.

For stills shooters it's the cheapest mirrorless FF mirrorless camera that is fully specced for wedding photography etc (i.e. compared to the a7RII or Canon RP, both lacking dual card slots and up to date AF).
As above, I misread it as the Z50 :facepalm: (y)

Thanks

If looking at Sony the two I would be considering is the A7R iv and the A9, both of which can be had for under £2k used.

For studio and portraits then the A7R iv would be the obvious choice for the excellent quality at base ISO, but for walk around and weddings the A9 does have a dynamic range boost when going over ISO6400 which is worth noting. The near flawless AF and blackout free shooting would certainly make life very easy as well.

I love my Nikon Z6, a great small(ish) full frame camera, with the usual lovely Nikon Files.

Only personal issue for me is the lack of a 70-200 f4 Z mount lens. The 2.8 option is big, heavy and expensive.

D700 was my favourite camera. Was a revelation when I bought it. Still a bargain today.
What has that got to do with this thread at all?

I went Sony at the time because it offered the best.
Now I have a Sony A7C because one of my criteria is size and weight so it's still the king for me.
If size and weight weren't an issue I really like the look of the Nikon Z cameras, but Sony have some great lenses available.

Last edited:
Back