Misty sunrise on the river Thurne

Very good Dave, chapeau!

"Cracking" shot Dave, nothing more to be said.(y)

George.

Excellent time - thanks for all the advice Neil :)

I needed a few 3:45am starts to get to some locations and there was quite a bit of walking required.

The shot above only required a 2 minute walk, but the shots from the other side of the river required considerably more effort ;)

No worries at all Dave - yeah, the other side of the river is around a 20 minute detour and a further 15 min walk - you took the best option me thinks!!

Like this Dave, and looks better with the sun coming through the mist on the mill and house. I was there last month with a frost, and definitely would have preferred some misty conditions.

Absolutely nailed that- the light is awesome, well worth the early start Dave

Les ;)

Like this Dave, and looks better with the sun coming through the mist on the mill and house. I was there last month with a frost, and definitely would have preferred some misty conditions.

Thanks Paul - I had a couple of early trips out to Thurne and this was the best day by far. When I arrived the mist was just laying in the field behind the pump on the same side as the village.

The Mist by Dave Semmens, on Flickr

Dave.

Thanks Paul - I had a couple of early trips out to Thurne and this was the best day by far. When I arrived the mist was just laying in the field behind the pump on the same side as the village.

The Mist by Dave Semmens, on Flickr

Dave.
Looks like you were on the other side of the river for this shot? Only been that side once for a sunset, which I walked further down and along a dyke to get the other mill in, when I did a workshop with Chris Herring a couple of years ago.

Really lovely work Dave. I think that early morning madness only affects landscape photographers, but I will say roll on the winter months when sunrise is a little more comfortable;)
I love the way the mist really gives that fantastic separation in No1 it really isolates the focal point well.
No2 gives the illusion that the windmill is listing to Port but I love the shot, there is always something special about the colours of sunrise and mist! Nice Work

Oh yes.
That image justifies every early morning start.
Timing, composition and effect at its very best.

Looks like you were on the other side of the river for this shot? Only been that side once for a sunset, which I walked further down and along a dyke to get the other mill in, when I did a workshop with Chris Herring a couple of years ago.

I was on the same bank but right in front of the mill with a wide angle lens. Ten seconds later the mill was almost invisible in the mist :)

I have a few shots from the other side of the river (on a different day) - still need to process them.

I did try a sunset there as well (from the other bank) but I must admit that the sunsets were disappointing all week due to a bank of cloud on the horizon most days or little cloud in the sky on the clear days :(

Last edited:
Back