Mitakon Zhongyi lenses for Canon - any experience?

Name
Thomas
Edit My Images
Yes
Just spotted a 135mm F2.8 and 85mm F2 in EF fitment on that Amazon.

Both lenses are just over £100

Obviously this is a lot cheaper than a Canon 135 F2L!

Obviously you're unlikely to get the same results as a Canon 135 F2L!

But how catastrophically terrible are these lenses? If no one knows I'm not going to get too bent out of shape dropping a ton on one to find out, TBH. o_O

But I'm after a 135mm lens, so any suggestions around that focal length would be better ;)

But I'm after a 135mm lens, so any suggestions around that focal length would be better ;)

Carl Zeiss Jena MC Sonnar 135mm f/3.5 - easily found in M42 mount, use an M42-EOS adapter
Carl Zeiss Tele-Tessar HFT 135mm f/4 - fairly readily found in Rollei QBM mount, adapting to direct EOS fit is a bit fiddly but not too difficult

Both of these use quality glass, are multi-coated and come from manufacturers with a good reputation. I have both and have used both with a 40D, the Tele-Tessar is the better of the two in my opinion although a fraction slower. They're both to be found cheaper than the Mitakon Zhongyi - even when you allow for the mount adapter. Chipped adapters will give you focus confirm through the viewfinder and can be programmed to return the correct focal length on the exif.

I've bought cheap 135mm lenses for £3-£10 from charity shops - so dropping £100+ on a piece of Chinese glass you'd be lucky to sell on Ebay for £10 might not be such a worthwhile gamble.

135mm Helios is a decent lens, mostly in M42 mount.

You should be able to pick up a Canon EF 135/2.8 (Soft Focus) for not too much more than your £100. It'll give you AF and you don't need to use the soft focus feature if you don't to.

Bob

I'd recommend a Contax/Yashica Carl Zeiss Sonnar 135/2.8 + adapter, M42 Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 135/3.5 + adapter or Pentacon 135/2.8 "bokeh monster" + M42 adapter if you're looking for something manual. These are all great lenses.

If you need AF then you have the option Canon Bob has provided, or even the Cosina/Vivitar 100mm macro "plastic fantastic" lens.

Back