MMA (Cage fights)

KIPAX

Seriously Likeable
Name
KIPAX Lancashire UK
Edit My Images
No
Saturday night... Large crowd from Liverpool, Large crowd from Manchester.. Me in middle... Slightly worrying considering they where all drinking and chanting at each other and all looked like wannabe cage fighters...erk ..

Managed to stay calm long enough to shoot 5 fights as I was at a cricket cup final until late for cup presentations so missed some of this...

The good news for me is.. I had my first real outing wiht the 85mm f1.8 bought off here from POAH.. Although used at f2.8.. I was worried all night wether it was working correctly or not (calibration and quality at iso 6400).. I know enough to not trust the camera screen :) But worry not as I was well pleased.. This lens is perfect for cage fights... cant wait to try at basketball.

Mostly shot at iso 6400 but a couple at 3200. All at f2.8 on a canon 1dmk4. PP consists of auto contrast and dust/scratches in PS

mma7_1.jpg

mma7_2.jpg

mma7_3.jpg

mma7_4.jpg

mma7_5.jpg

mma7_6.jpg

Remarkable isn't it, a couple of years ago this shot would be almost impossible to get and now ISO 3200 is standard and 6400 not far behind. Someone on here posted 85mm basketball pics that were great too.

Like number 'Have a piece of that' 3. Ouch. Great timing.
Is there just a little too much reach on the 85mm from MMA (I know you were testing) or are they crops?

like this sort of sport photography
the primes have done you a good service apart from one framing difficulty
great trade off though, lots of action and expression

were you shooting through the mesH?

I crop everyhting 7x5 out of habit but not much to crop wiuth the 85.. really was spot on for all around the ring and just did close ups when they got real close..

Yes through the mesh... think i scratched the filter.... duh good job i had the filter then :)

Cool! I've been to a few UFC's but never anything smaller. When I was doing Thai Boxing I used to go watch local fights round Lancashire and enjoyed the atmosphere of smaller venues where the audience was people from the fighters own gyms. Out of interest, where were these taken?

Accrington (nice central for liverpool and manchester i guess) .. CAGE CONFLICT series are held there.. always well supported.. about 35 quid a ticket I think...

I crop everyhting 7x5 out of habit but not much to crop wiuth the 85.. really was spot on for all around the ring and just did close ups when they got real close..

Yes through the mesh... think i scratched the filter.... duh good job i had the filter then :)

not a cheap filter either :LOL:

nice pics

Got the taste for this kinda thing.. just applied for a ringside pass to photogrpah a boxing event.. got a reply from organisor saying no problem.. tickets are 20 quid each... sigh

Excellent shots, I was at this event as I was cornering two of our fighters on the show. Do you have any other shots by any chance? Im actually looking for pictures of our fighters. (Fight number 4 John Wells V Chris Dixon and also the main event title fight Saul Rogers V Kieron Coxon)

Thanks

Excellent shots, I was at this event as I was cornering two of our fighters on the show. Do you have any other shots by any chance? Im actually looking for pictures of our fighters. (Fight number 4 John Wells V Chris Dixon and also the main event title fight Saul Rogers V Kieron Coxon)

Thanks

I got hundreds and a lot of the main fight.. I actualy went for the pro fight that was listed as last fight but that went early.. i missed that and no idea who was who... dunno which wass the 4th fight.. any clues?

I worked for MMA Pics.com on the night and have sent them all pictures...

I ahve corner pics from the last fight.. your in luck if your a big fella with light blue tee shirt .. next generation MMA?

Ah you went to see Anthony Geoffries V Ian Entwistle? was a fun fight.

LOL no im not the big fella in the blue T (that is actually Paul Rimmer) If you sent your shots to MMAPics in guessing i have seen them, some excellent shots there!

FYI i was the corner in a flat cap (black Team Colosseum T-shirt)

ha! this you?
mma_cap.jpg

I cant see any pics from MMApics anywhere... not on there site.. All mine are shot from same angel.. through cage no flash

Last edited:
haha, yeah this is me :) do you have any more you could possibly email over to me? Being cheeky i would like to add them to the gym facebook page and website. i will credit you on each pic.

BTW nice shot, didnt know i was THAT good looking :p

Last fight.. your guy in orange or black shorts?

mma_cap2.jpg

Yeah thats the one! for the record, im not picking my nose there :)

If you have any pics of Sauls fight thatg would be great :)

If you have any pics of Sauls fight thatg would be great :)

I didnt get the names of fighters.. is that the last fight and if so.. orange or black shorts?

yes it is the last fight, and yes he was the lad in the orange/red and black shorts (he won the match)

Really nice action Tony, i love the "grittiness" of number 3 workes really well. Nice to see the result at high ISO as well. I picked up my mkIV yesterday so waiting to get out and put it through its paces

Really nice action Tony, i love the "grittiness" of number 3 workes really well. Nice to see the result at high ISO as well. I picked up my mkIV yesterday so waiting to get out and put it through its paces

I think sports like this should have some grit in the pic and not be too smooth and clean.. adds to it :)

Back