Modifications to Oulton Park. Possibly the first of many :(

Matt Sayle

2017MSA Young Photographer of the Year(Motorsport)
Name
Matt Sayle
Edit My Images
Yes
Well as some of you have heard they have moved the fence back at the top of clay hill and now it is a real bugger to get a shot without barrier cutting off the wheels :bang: THey have also created a path from the top of Clay Hill to druids, lined with a fence. They also seem to be making some sort of construction on the inside of druids. I pray to god it aint a fence!! Anyway pictures of the new mods:

Green bit shows where it is

oulton-circuit-large.jpg

You can see how far it has been moved
IMG_8872.jpg

On this one you can see how far it keeps on going!
IMG_8871.jpg

New and old gate
IMG_8870.jpg

Note how much room there is between the car and new gate!! The old gate is just in front of it!
IMG_8868.jpg

Two more
IMG_8867.jpg

IMG_8866.jpg

Hope to be of service.

Gaz move to where it should be.

If these are of no intrest I wont do them again.

Thanks
Matt

Interesting pics Matt,I always like to see what's going on (y)

Combe have been addressing the safety issues in a slightly different way by adding sections of debris fencing,this being the latest
castlecombecarnivaloct4hs6.jpg

Not grumbling from a Marshal's perspective because the fencing has certainly saved lives at another part of the track
I'm aware the togs now have challenges in finding new angles now :rules:

Combe have been addressing the safety issues in a slightly different way by adding sections of debris fencing,this being the latest
castlecombecarnivaloct4hs6.jpg

Not grumbling from a Marshal's perspective because the fencing has certainly saved lives at another part of the track

Great! Another section of combe totally ruined this time for no reason at all as Avon Rise curves away from the spectator area! Don't get me started!

Typical !! Feel for you Oulton Regulars! I know just how this sort of thing is really depressing!! ***tard!

Maybe a step ladder could be used??

Cycle to Oulton with a step ladder. Yeah right :LOL: :LOL:

No that is a good idea that someone with a car can take advantage of.

It is bloody annoying!

Yeah, helps the marshalls but a PITA for us photographers!!

Glad you like them!

Cycle to Oulton with a step ladder. Yeah right :LOL: :LOL:

No that is a good idea that someone with a car can take advantage of.

It is bloody annoying!

Yeah, helps the marshalls but a PITA for us photographers!!

Glad you like them!

Matt just imagine how someone who has been attending circuits for the last 35yrs feels, Countless revisions all in the name of "Safety" everyone bringing a little more depression and disapointment. One day they may realize when nobody attends live racing anymore that they have just gone way too far.
Believe me it is going that way!!!

But! B&Q Step Ladders are light as a feather, believe me, push bike and ladder I reckon it's possible. IN my day Portable Viewing Structures were allowed and people used to bring whole 6 or 7 storey scaffolding towers!!

Last edited:
Matt just imagine how someone who has been attending circuits for the last 35yrs feels, Countless revisions all in the name of "Safety" everyone bringing a little more depression and disapointment. One day they may realize when nobody attends live racing anymore that they have just gone way too far.
Believe me it is going that way!!!

Yeah, I bet it has been awful. I am just dreading going each week and seeing where you now cant go.

I hate seeing old photos with no fences and spectators everywhere and locations that are totally out of bounds!!

Doesnt look good, never been there but hope to go next year

Matt, what you need is a "box" for your gear. instead of a bag i use a B&Q box, cost £35 i think it was, carries my stuff and when at events i can stand on it, the extra height is fantastic

drop me a pm and i will send over a pic

Doesnt look good, never been there but hope to go next year

Matt, what you need is a "box" for your gear. instead of a bag i use a B&Q box, cost £35 i think it was, carries my stuff and when at events i can stand on it, the extra height is fantastic

drop me a pm and i will send over a pic

When/if I get a car, I am going to get a stepladder :)

PM on route.

IN my day Portable Viewing Structures were allowed and people used to bring whole 6 or 7 storey scaffolding towers!!
That wasn't your manmade tower at Paddock Hill bend for the 1980 BGP was it ?
I really enjoyed the view from that :LOL:

Could well have been (y) nice to hear from a Marshal who has a apreciation of viewing/amateur photography and general spectating needs! Not many of them about any more. Although saying that I hear that alot of Marshals think some of the over the top run off's and such are affecting even their enjoyment of the action now!! Please tell me it will stop.

Last edited:
actually the way they have moved that fence back, it doesnt look parallel with the track.. maybe they are putting a chicane in?

Yeah why not! and while they are at it why not just ban spectators/not signed on photographers as well makes it much safer altogether:LOL:

The day Palmer emasculates Oulton with any more chicanes is the day he will go out of business.

Could well have been (y) nice to hear from a Marshal who has a apreciation of viewing/amateur photography and general spectating needs! Not many of them about any more. Although saying that I hear that alot of Marshals think some of the over the top run off's and such are affecting even their enjoyment of the action now!! Please tell me it will stop.
Thanks (y)
I am a poor (in every sense of the word) photography enthusiast btw but the two can't be combined to any extent

http://grandslammer.fotopic.net/

Yes,I'm a regular at Silverstone too but being a Flag Marshal,the run-off's don't affect me that much

I think it's the health and safety police making them do it Matt. It is a pain, I was gutted when they moved the fence back at the entrace to Lodge last year. That used to be an amazing photography spot. It's only going to get worse as time goes on. Every circuit in the country will probably be like Stalag Luft Silverstone in a few years.

i'm guessing that if they are moving the fence back they are probably going to move the barrier back too, so it might not be in your way.
just a guess

Hopefully. Willl see on Monday.

actually the way they have moved that fence back, it doesnt look parallel with the track.. maybe they are putting a chicane in?

They best hadnt. Smart arse idea putting a chicane on the spilliest part of the track. You could be right though.

Yeah why not! and while they are at it why not just ban spectators/not signed on photographers as well makes it much safer altogether:LOL:

The day Palmer emasculates Oulton with any more chicanes is the day he will go out of business.

:LOL:

To true.

Yeah it is a pain, I tried some panning shots from there yesterday and in every shot I have a nice view of tyres across the bottom :(

If the weather is better next time Matt I will drive the car to the new fence and then we can sit on the roof :)

Cool (y) Thanks.

I think it's the health and safety police making them do it Matt. It is a pain, I was gutted when they moved the fence back at the entrace to Lodge last year. That used to be an amazing photography spot. It's only going to get worse as time goes on. Every circuit in the country will probably be like Stalag Luft Silverstone in a few years.

People now the risks of attending events like this so there should be no need for H and S. If you feel unsafe. DONT BLOODY GO. Either that or sit somewhere further back (Knickerbrook.

Which is a shame!

i heard today at donnington as part of the f1 setup where the track is being lenghted they are building a 500mtr tunnel!

:bonk: as someone's signature says, there was a time when sex was safe and motor racing was dangerous. :bang: H&S goes motor racing is a real pain in the arris. Oulton and other small circuits have always been great for photography, but seems that over time they will all become Silverstone-esque and only the chosen few with accreditation will get the shots....

:bonk: as someone's signature says, there was a time when sex was safe and motor racing was dangerous. :bang: H&S goes motor racing is a real pain in the arris. Oulton and other small circuits have always been great for photography, but seems that over time they will all become Silverstone-esque and only the chosen few with accreditation will get the shots....

Quite Right, but believe me one day they will realize that without punters through the gates (due to getting a better view on TV) they will have effectively killed "Our" sport!! I just hope I am dead by then!

Seriously they really do not understand the consequences of their actions! Deppresing but true!

One question! : "What is the point of attending a Circuit if you experiance no better viewing and experiance than on TV"!!!!

Last edited:
i heard today at donnington as part of the f1 setup where the track is being lenghted they are building a 500mtr tunnel!

:wacky:

LOL to true!!!

I hope I am acredited before then. It is such a shame to see the track I grew to love being ruined :(

Quite Right, but believe me one day they will realize that without punters through the gates (due to getting a better view on TV) they will have effectively killed "Our" sport!! I just hope I am dead by then!

Seriously they really do not understand the consequences of their actions! Deppresing but true!

One question! : "What is the point of attending a Circuit if you experiance no better viewing and experiance than on TV"!!!!

Exactly. That is why I now go on my own, not with my dad.

i think that it should be made legal to shoot anyone concerned with health and safety, obviously you'd have to shoot them to death with a soft foam nerf gun or try to stab them with blund flexible plastic knife and forks which wont even peirce chips

On druids corner they have cut the trees back and laid a new path, I found a nice spot for taking photos you actually get a longer view of the track now.
So yes they have taken say 50 mts of track but given say 150mt more in another area.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=97848

the seventh picture was taken from there on my post

Last edited:
On druids corner they have cut the trees back and laid a new path, I found a nice spot for taking photos you actually get a longer view of the track now.
So yes they have taken say 50 mts of track but given say 150mt more in another area.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=97848

the first picture was taken from there

Sae the path but didnt explore as there was a no entry sign and men working yesterday!

:woot: Made water tower accesible :D:D:D

I think its an improvement you still within 2 to 3 mts off the track plus your higher up as well .

i think that it should be made legal to shoot anyone concerned with health and safety...
Trying to keep this on topic...but did anyone see the Channel 4 programme 'The Fun Police' (about the Health and Safety Executive) ?
Ed Friend,a H&S consultant..
"Don't forget that an anagram of 'garden' is 'danger'"
Then he showed the deathtrap acorns adorning his driveway that can act like ballbearings :bang:

Apologies for wandering a tad

Trying to keep this on topic...but did anyone see the Channel 4 programme 'The Fun Police' (about the Health and Safety Executive) ?
Ed Friend,a H&S consultant..
"Don't forget that an anagram of 'garden' is 'danger'"
Then he showed the deathtrap acorns adorning his driveway that can act like ballbearings :bang:

Apologies for wandering a tad

:LOL: :LOL:

Oh that is not joke!! Good lord :bang:

Back