Mono urban landscape

It's too incoherent a composition, unfortunately. A worthwhile experiment, but I'd bin it rather than cling to it, and move on.

Why incoherent? If anything I would say possibly too complex. But I'm
Not sure what you mean by incoherent when the lines are so strong.
The other option is to split the shot down the middle and ditch the right half, as the lines in the s*** converge on the bloke on the path. Can't decide.

If you were to remove the rhs it makes it a very dark image. There isn't much, if any detail in the shadows. But composition wise it would be (to me) a better photo.

I'm happy with it as it is.
It's both a snapshot in time, and a story.
Lots of lines and angles.
I can see something from each corner, coming inwards, there may be a further picture in the centre, but it would lose the frame provided within the elements of the current image.
Nice and contrasty.

I think the composition would be better if it were cropped on the lhs to remove the 'corridor' on the left. Currently the lights in that 'corridor' pull the eye away from the main scene.

The concrete pillars that would then be on the lh edge would give a stopper and the image would also be simpler.

Looking at this again, i can see 3 possible crops that would work for me. It's a photo of thirds. There's a picture on the left, the right and the centre.

Thanks again guys. Really strange scene in that as has been laid out by all the varying opinions, there are several options. All valid.
The weird thing is, I think how large the shot is viewed makes a big difference. If I view it large on my Mac and close, the bigger crop works best, but viewed smaller, it gets messy and the smaller crops work better.
I went to a Steve Mccurry exhibition once and some of the shots could only be truly appreciated when printed huge, as they were, and yet others were the opposite.

Different people, different views. Only yours really matters. But it's good to hear what others think.

Exactly.
If you post a shot and you get three different opinions, you can't agree with all three.
The artist's opinion will always matter most, or we will all just end up taking the same kinda stuff over and over. I try to have my own style, which some will love, some will hate. Can't please em all!!
For me, it's about getting a thought or view that I may not have considered which may help me going forward, or with the shot in question. It's also interesting to see what others think and how they consider images and photography in general.

I much prefer this edit, The shadows seem lighter, lots of lines to lead the eye through the picture.

Back