Monopod disappointment

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
My old and faithful monopod let me down the other day. Not badly but it showed its age in the cold morning where its lack of padding made it uncomfortably cold to hold and the twist locks were just a bit temperamental in not tightening up smoothly. I know I could strip it down, re-grease and even source a bit of pipe lagging to use as a grip but instead I went looking for a new one this morning. My local dealer had a good selection of Manfrottos, Siruis, Sliks and Velbons and after a period of playing and comparing I had to conclude that Manfrotto is simply leagues ahead of the others. The Sirui in particular was downright flexible and when even the salesman failed to tighten the twist lock first time I knew they were pushing that brand for profit and not because they are particularly good. So it'll be a Manfrotto the aluminium 680B was tall enough sturdy enough and had less flex than even the carbon Sirui and my mind was set right to the point of trying the carbon 694CX which was lighter, if not hugely, and just felt better quality. However its expensive, almost three times the cost of the 680B.

Before dropping a small wedge on the Carbon Manfrotto are there any others I should be considering? Not the Sirui or any twist lock monopods but perhaps a Benro, Giotto or other brand I was unable to try. Your experiences would be welcome.

Andy

I have a carbon Gitzo (unhelpfully I cannot recall the model number at the mo) which is superb. It was expensive to buy but was definitely a good purchase.

I can look out the model number later.

Had no issues with my Manfrotto 680B, attached a Manfrotto 496RC2 Compact Ball Head and it supports the 1D and 500mm f4 without issue

I also have a Manfrotto 680B, when i was buying it Wilkinson Cameras were offering a free tilt head too which was nice. It's ruddy sturdy as you say, i bought it thinking it would get loads of use with my Sigma 70-200 but apparently i'm not as weak as i thought and it's barely been touched :LOL:

+1 on the Manfrotto 680B here. I only recently bought it from another TP member but it's so easy to use & the foam grip keeps your hands of the metal in the cold as much as possible.

It's so easy to use, and the screw-away legs even turn it in to some sort of martial arts weapon!!

Friends have had MF tripods for years, but this is my first dip into MF & I can see what all the fuss is about as you've said!!

I had a little play with Three Legged Thing kit at a recent Calumet open day when visiting Glasgow. Gorgeous kit solid feeling but done with flair. However twist locks on the legs is the reason for not considering TLT.

Andy

I also have the 680B. Bought it 4 years ago & still going strong.

One thing i have just noticed on the Manfrotto website for anybody that's got a 680B, if you go to their website you can register your monopod for a free 8 year warranty :eek:

Convinced and unable to justify the cost of a carbon fibre model Ive ordered a 680B. The Cullmann will still be useful as a flash stand, it has a sort of tripod stand which unscrews from the foot that will hold a flash but could not be trusted with a camera. The head will swap easy enough.

Satisfied with purchase.

Andy

Back