Moon Craters

I like it a lovely level of detail, I'd be tempted to suggest that the exposure could be raised just a little maybe a 1/3 of a stop (y) but the detail I nice, and shooting when it's not quite a full moon has really helped you in showing the texture/terrain on the moon (y)

Matt

Reactions: Nod
I usually bracket down from the meter's suggested reading (centre weighted, aimed at the disk of the moon) in 1/3rd stop intervals and now you have a good exposure setting as a starting point, you could try going a stop each way from your setting and see what results you get. The good thing about the moon is that it's fairly constantly lit, so once you've got a set of settings you like, you can keep using them!

Your shot shows exactly why it's far better to shoot at this phase of the moon rather than at full.

Try doing it over a few nights (and even stepped at, say, 3 hour intervals) - you will notice how quickly the craters come in and out of view and also how the face of the moon "wobbles" due to something called libration. The near side is always locked facing earth (that's why the formations never really change) but slight variations cause it to change marginally, and over time this looks like a wobbling or rolling effect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libration#Lunar_libration

Nice picture though, can't fault it really.

EDIT: At identical settings you'll also notice its disk shrink and grow in the frame, due to it not always being the same distance from us. Barely noticeable with an unaided eye, more so with instruments.

Last edited:
Back